burky-boy

12v Water Pump running slow
« on: June 25, 2018, 10:01:08 pm »
Hi any body get any idea what my problem could  be , One of the pumps on my Brodex system is running slow. I phoned them up and explained what was happening they  said my duel pump controller is not working so i ordered a new  one .
Any way i have fitted it now and the problem is still there so could it  be the pump  I have tried a different hose reel and also calibrated the controller but no joy .
Thanks Steve
Keep The Faith

S_RICHARDSON

Re: 12v Water Pump running slow
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:05:13 pm »
Are you getting plenty of power? Could be a duff battery or poor connections?

windowswashed

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 10:25:25 pm »
poor battery, wire or fuse connection

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:46:48 pm »
You really shouldnt buy things without checking what the fault is.

Fault diagosis 101 dictates you should check each component in a logical order.

The first an obvious thing to do would be check the battery and the pump, so grab the pump that is running slow and put it direct to the battery, if its better it was something between the pump and battery, (connection,controller etc) if its the same its either the pump or battery at fault.

so grab another pump thats known to be working fine and put it direct to the battery... if that the pump is the same its likely the battery, if the other pump is better then its the pump.

If its neither the pump or the battery i would remove the controller from the equation, if all is good probably the controller if all is not good then you need to look somewhere else, air lock, kinked hose, electrical connections.

you get the idea anyway, last thing you want ti do is phone up brodex and say "whats wrong" because they have no idea and just want to sell you something.

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 07:19:18 am »

The first an obvious thing to do would be check the battery and the pump, so grab the pump that is running slow and put it direct to the battery, if its better it was something between the pump and battery, (connection,controller etc) if its the same its either the pump or battery at fault.

so grab another pump thats known to be working fine and put it direct to the battery... if that the pump is the same its likely the battery, if the other pump is better then its the pump.

If its neither the pump or the battery i would remove the controller from the equation, if all is good probably the controller if all is not good then you need to look somewhere else, air lock, kinked hose, electrical connections.

you get the idea anyway, last thing you want ti do is phone up brodex and say "whats wrong" because they have no idea and just want to sell you something.

What a good post. Trouble shooting is all about logically identifying and isolating components to establish the area of fault.

Unfortunately the marketing world has done a very good job of nurturing a throw away society as they don't want anyone to repair anything. So we have a young generation of people who don't know how to fix anything let alone trouble shoot what's causing the problem.  I witnessed a young man having his wheel changed by the AA a while back.

And taking advise from Brodex is another way of being fleeced. There aren't many of us who have had a positive experience dealing with Brodex. I'm not having a go at you directly Burky-boy (Steve), but I'm making a general observation.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a4246/4314662/
The example used here in this article is a dim headlight due to voltage drop. Your pump could be running slower because of a voltage drop so here are some pointers.

Which reminds me, I got a text from Brodex yesterday. They must be using a new number as I blocked the previous one. This number is also now blocked. Texting STOP to a number on the end of the text doesn't stop the texts coming. It just informs them that the number the text went to is still activate.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

burky-boy

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 01:19:38 pm »
Are you getting plenty of power? Could be a duff battery or poor connections?

The battery is running 2 pumps and one side is working fine battery terminals are all clean and good

Thanks Steve
Keep The Faith

burky-boy

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 01:22:27 pm »
poor battery, wire or fuse connection

Changed the fuse and the wire looks good Thanks Steve
Keep The Faith

burky-boy

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 01:29:02 pm »
Thanks for that im normally pretty clued up when it comes to messing with reach & wash systems . Lots of pals come to me for advice but i guess i was lazy and wanted a quick fix . By the looks   its the pump thats the problem i have a few spares will change it over and see the outcome .  Dont get me started about Brodex  they are the worse company ever .
Thanks Steve

Keep The Faith

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 09:51:07 pm »
We had a pump play up with a fellow window cleaner. He had a Shurflo pump (still has the same pump) with a Varistream controller. The pump was messing on, pulsing and generally indicating that the battery was flat. He has a twin operator setup but the other pump and controller worked perfectly so the battery was ruled out as the source of the problem.

I noticed that the Varistream was connected to the pump via the pressure switch. Varistream advise the pressure switch is taken out of the circuit when using it with the Shurflo pump it was designed for. Sure enough, when we connected the pump up without the pressure switch the pump has run faultlessly since. We can only presume there was an issue with the pressure switch contracts and it was the cause of the pump playing up.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

burky-boy

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 01:06:55 pm »
Problem solved i took the pump apart and noticed the  three diaphragms  in the valve assembly where worn .
The nipples that stick out the top of them had come away and would nit sit back in there holes .
I had a spare pump and i used the valve assembly from that and it works fine
Thanks Steve

Keep The Faith

burky-boy

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 01:07:35 pm »
We had a pump play up with a fellow window cleaner. He had a Shurflo pump (still has the same pump) with a Varistream controller. The pump was messing on, pulsing and generally indicating that the battery was flat. He has a twin operator setup but the other pump and controller worked perfectly so the battery was ruled out as the source of the problem.

I noticed that the Varistream was connected to the pump via the pressure switch. Varistream advise the pressure switch is taken out of the circuit when using it with the Shurflo pump it was designed for. Sure enough, when we connected the pump up without the pressure switch the pump has run faultlessly since. We can only presume there was an issue with the pressure switch contracts and it was the cause of the pump playing up.
Thanks
Keep The Faith