redstarwindowcleaners

holidays time off
« on: March 16, 2014, 07:43:43 am »
What do you guys work
i want more time with wife and kids
Im going to try to consolidate my work and go down to a 4 days a week mon to thur a few extra hours over these 4 days should work
Want try to organise and reschedule everything so I get a week off every month as well

Seem to be working more and more hours again looked at taking on someone but can't really be arsed with all the hassle that goes with employing prefer to work alone and keep it simple
Stand before my gates and be judged

deeege

Re: holidays time off
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:34:51 am »
A week off every month is too much time off, for me anyway.

I work 5 days a week but only work til 2pm on Wednesdays as I take little 'un swimming lessons.

I make sure I have 2 x 2 week holidays per year aswell, quality time with the family, usually in Greece. It's the reason I go to work in the first place and keeps me fresh.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Mike #1

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 09:23:20 am »
My work schedule over a 4 week month consists  of me working 4-5 days for 3 weeks then 1 quiet week of 3 days work

which worked out well this week as my dog managed to almost  totally rip out one of his claws whilst on a walk on Monday so had to be watched over for 2 Days so he did not rip bandage off after op at vets .

I then take 2-3 weeks holiday over the course of the year depending on our plans for the year , One week off per month is way to much time off working a few extra hours a day will work from now till Autumn but not in winter and not when the weather is crap .

In an ideal world i would like to work 7hr days for 4 days a week with some more better priced work over the course of this year i reckon i will get their . Mike

Afterglow Window Cleaners

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 09:26:36 am »
I have the same time off as the wife, she has 28 days off per year and all bank holidays.

We always book to go on holiday somewhere for the full 28 days, usually in 7 day blocks, otherwise I would work.

I am one of those people that has to have a break, it just gets too monotonous, of course I probably don't have as much work as some here, but i will hit my targets this year.

Can't understand those having all work and no play, must be soul destroying.

dannymack

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 09:27:27 am »
It's hard for us as we are really busy every day with commercial which I'm blessed and lucky that we are busy, my wife goes off and does quite a few cleaning jobs for care homes and communal areas for private flats, so taking holidays we can't do. My son can cover our work but not the wifes with really hard days and runs into weekends if needed but we normally go away on Friday afternoon and leave Sunday night. We went Minorcca last time for then couple of days only thing is it cost around £1500 then you got ya spending money so cost alot. Can only do few days as I get home sick miss me dogs so 2 and half days is just enough for me as I'm so use to working I get soooo bored going abroad. A week would be like a prison sentence !!!!! 😳👴👍

gary999

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 09:33:41 am »
Take the month off in january and days here and there for long weekends
and days out fishing,saying that i generally only work four days a week
except in the autumn when i build my fund up for the winter and go 6-7
days a week

dannymack

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 09:37:16 am »
I wouldn't say it's souls destroying if you can't get long holidays due to work !!! Some love holidays and some don't and some just can't get as much time off as others due to work commitments and the cost of going away.

We get the weekends away which suits us due to work commitments and not liking long holidays

Id rather have a lovely house and nice things and pay money towards the mortgage so I can get early retirement than waste it on holidays tbh. Not saying that you can't have a nice house and nice things and have holidays !!!! But my plan is to put as much away to pay mortgage off now I'm getting older as I'm 45 now and want to have mortgaged payed off in 7 years so then I can retire or slow down, pass the company to my son and maybe do little cleaning jobs for pocket money as I don't wanna be doing this job till I'm 65 or 70 body couldn't take it 👍

Rayleigh Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 10:39:50 am »
I wouldn't say it's souls destroying if you can't get long holidays due to work !!! Some love holidays and some don't and some just can't get as much time off as others due to work commitments and the cost of going away.

We get the weekends away which suits us due to work commitments and not liking long holidays

Id rather have a lovely house and nice things and pay money towards the mortgage so I can get early retirement than waste it on holidays tbh. Not saying that you can't have a nice house and nice things and have holidays !!!! But my plan is to put as much away to pay mortgage off now I'm getting older as I'm 45 now and want to have mortgaged payed off in 7 years so then I can retire or slow down, pass the company to my son and maybe do little cleaning jobs for pocket money as I don't wanna be doing this job till I'm 65 or 70 body couldn't take it 👍

Your right mate, we are all different which is good, looking ahead 7 years is a good goal with the mortgage situation.

Be mindful that a lot can happen in that time, I have customers that have said when we hit 50 or when we hit 60 whatever

we are going to do this and that and finances will be better, and one of them gets ill or worse.

Fine balance is required in life, hope your goals work out.

Steve

dannymack

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 11:35:36 am »
Make you so right in what your saying Steve, that's spot on.  I should say that's what I will try and do but as you say anything can happen in 7 years with work & health situations no one knows what's around the corner. Hope your keeping busy 👍

Jim Waugh(Albright & Shiny)

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 11:57:52 am »
I have a 5 week round. weeks 1,2,3 and 4 I work 4 days . on week 5 I have rostered it so that I get a 12 day break..
If I want more cash I can do more work on the 4 days. or If I want I can throw some one offs in on the "Days off" assuming I have nothing more important to do like chilling or enjoying life..

When people ask me "why a 5 week round" I usually say some want 4 weeks some want 6 weeks 5 weeks splits the difference.. The real story is I get 10 x12 day breaks a year....

dannymack

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 12:09:00 pm »
It's nice to get time off if you can. Mind you we start around 4.30am and home around 1 o'clock so have the rest of the day. It's not like I'm out alday until 5pm 👳👀👍😳👴

C o z y

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 12:13:36 pm »
I have a 5 week round. weeks 1,2,3 and 4 I work 4 days . on week 5 I have rostered it so that I get a 12 day break..
If I want more cash I can do more work on the 4 days. or If I want I can throw some one offs in on the "Days off" assuming I have nothing more important to do like chilling or enjoying life..

When people ask me "why a 5 week round" I usually say some want 4 weeks some want 6 weeks 5 weeks splits the difference.. The real story is I get 10 x12 day breaks a year....

Sounds about right.  ;)
No still don't understand, I must be thick

Scrimble

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 12:32:47 pm »
to the OP i would increase prices, you will loose the odd customer but will be doing less work for the same money

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 01:45:18 pm »
3 and a half weeks work a month ,sometimes 4 working 5 or 6 days a week.some are half days.then if it's a 5 week month.the rest of the time off till work due again.

I very rarely get behind with work due to weather.works well.stops me getting too bored with window cleaning and gives my body a rest.

2 -3 holidays a year.whether it's a week or 2 in the sun,camping or weekend break.

Works for me
price higher/work harder!

ascjim

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 04:14:43 pm »
I work 4 full days then a couple of hours Friday to get me out of bed. I go Spain for 2 weeks twice a year, xmas off and I like long weekends away. Had 4 this year so far  ;)

Jim Waugh(Albright & Shiny)

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 05:22:59 pm »
I work 4 full days then a couple of hours Friday to get me out of bed. I go Spain for 2 weeks twice a year, xmas off and I like long weekends away. Had 4 this year so far  ;)
My first week in Spain starts at 07.30 tomorrow morning...  8)

bobplum

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 05:48:55 pm »
i tend to go for 5/6 long weekends thru the year and then expect time off thur the winter

ascjim

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 06:42:14 pm »
My first week in Spain starts at 07.30 tomorrow morning...  8)

Have  a good one mate! 8)

James Bulton

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 07:14:11 pm »
So far I have worked 3 yers none stop 5 days a week but am feeling it.

G Griffin

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 09:23:27 pm »
So far I have worked 3 yers none stop 5 days a week but am feeling it.
We all need some sort of recreation and what you in your own home is up to you.
I prefer long weekends, too. They usually last a fortnight, though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐