Crystal-clear

test drive of brand new l200 barbarion
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:53 pm »
I have this booked at a dealer will give me an idea and a feel of it compared to van will most likley be looking at the new shape 2006 second hand so tomorrow will just give me a good feel of it and help me make my mind up on l200 or connect.some people love there l200 and ill find out i hope!

LWC

Re: test drive of brand new l200 barbarion
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:31:34 pm »
Let me know, i want one to!

Everyone keeps telling me its a bad idea  ::)roll Would hate them to be right lol

Crystal-clear

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 08:45:21 pm »
i hear 2 sides to the story there has been a few posts about the l200 and other pick ups, im going to find out for myself the barbarian has leather seats and so many extras, it defo has to be more fun then a van

concept

Griffus

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 08:47:23 pm »
You'll need deep pockets to cover your fuel bill.

Had a Navara for a couple of years. 23 MPG on average.

Leather seats are nice, but a van will always come up trumps, especially for WC.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 08:52:18 pm »
griff i heard a full tank takes you 450 miles so not to bad for what you get? also others have said working from one is perfect but i have heard some like you say its not easy,

concept why are you selling?

concept

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 08:59:38 pm »
Don't use it enough, so might change it for a van.

Awesome beasts, absolutely love mine, done loads of work for me, but not suited for what we need right now.

Griffus

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 09:07:26 pm »
griff i heard a full tank takes you 450 miles so not to bad for what you get? also others have said working from one is perfect but i have heard some like you say its not easy,

Other issues I'd highlight. If you have a hard top, as I did, you've very little height, if you don't you've no security. Load space isn't as great as you'ld think as the rear seats eat into it.   If you carry ladders as a back-up then the roof bars on a pick up are inadequate.  We have vans aswell and out of all of them I'd say the Navara handled the worst (when not fully loaded at least). We have a Vivaro which always feels like a car to drive, certainly in comparrison to the Navara.

Plus points of a pick up, you'll not have to worry about the weather, the engine has a lovely roar to it and it has torque a plenty. Pick ups do have a stronger image and due to the torque they are great for towing, though more tricky to reverse a trailer than with a van.

I never used ours for WC, but I can honestly say I never would have wanted too.  It came in handy on the odd occasion for towing but as said, a van is (imo) way more suitable for WC.

Get a vivaro, if you want six seats and air con get a Sportive.  No comparison.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 02:43:00 am »

Other issues I'd highlight. If you have a hard top, as I did, you've very little height, if you don't you've no security. Load space isn't as great as you'ld think as the rear seats eat into it.   If you carry ladders as a back-up then the roof bars on a pick up are inadequate.  We have vans aswell and out of all of them I'd say the Navara handled the worst (when not fully loaded at least). We have a Vivaro which always feels like a car to drive, certainly in comparrison to the Navara.

Plus points of a pick up, you'll not have to worry about the weather, the engine has a lovely roar to it and it has torque a plenty. Pick ups do have a stronger image and due to the torque they are great for towing, though more tricky to reverse a trailer than with a van.

I never used ours for WC, but I can honestly say I never would have wanted too.  It came in handy on the odd occasion for towing but as said, a van is (imo) way more suitable for WC.

thanks for sharing, it was posts like these that put me off but then someone came on showed pictures of his setup and says completely different as in never go back to van would like to hear you and them fight it out.

Mike #1

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 05:23:49 am »
I have this booked at a dealer will give me an idea and a feel of it compared to van will most likley be looking at the new shape 2006 second hand so tomorrow will just give me a good feel of it and help me make my mind up on l200 or connect.some people love there l200 and ill find out i hope!

It will have the same engine as my 60 plate Trojan i put £60.00 a week in fuel and get 285 miles before i fill up again so i get approx 30-35 mpg , Diesel cost near me is £137.9 per litre

That is carrying about 550kg fully loaded the truck alone weighs 1880kg that is with stopping and starting on short runs as we do . Which i dont think is bad at all on longer journeys the needle on the fuel gage barely moves i have drove to Abergavenny from Durham on a full tank .

Poles will go in the back easily , Mine dont as i have a fullbox sports lid so my tank almost takes up all the height as well as the load bed but mine is alarmed and secure with it been a solid top . Mike

G O Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 06:08:31 am »
Had warrior from new fully kitted leather, truck man top, load liner etc cost around 25k, looked superb, few yrs ago now, great for family. Spent along time choosing which top / rails so that we could carry ladders had bars custom made . Ate fuel turning circle shocking but could go anywhere, load area really high and
tiny plus security in back useless not central locking as there is no lock! Without truck man top , had to have additional sensors in back. Lost a fortune thro depreciation when we sold it, worst I have experienced. Another plus back then it was viewed as a commercial vehicle hence made sense for tax. I can see how it can work for window cleaning plus family vehicle, but if you have other services gutter cleaning or p washing forget it. Good luck mike

Griffus

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 10:10:04 am »

thanks for sharing, it was posts like these that put me off but then someone came on showed pictures of his setup and says completely different as in never go back to van would like to hear you and them fight it out.

:o

No need to fight it out, lol.

Just passing on my opinion based on experience.

Depreciation wasn't too bad with ours, bought for £11000, added a hard top for £1300 or so, bought a few clamps for £100 or so.   Had just over two years and sold for £9600.   All plus VAT.

Seriously though, we run several vans and when it comes to practicality as already said, no comparison.

I think anyone going down this route (in our game at least) is seduced by the appeal but once they've bitten the bullet as it were they start to realise fairly quickly the limitations.

When we bought it was always as a tax dodge car for my wife. This is the only time they make sense as you have a £3000 liability and just £500 for unlimited private mileage fuel use.

I am far from anti pick up, I loved the Navaro in many ways but as a dedicated replacement for a van it just isn't up to it.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 04:50:20 pm »
How about picking up your girl friend in a van... or a fat black fully loaded pick up that makes you feel like Marty mcfly?

Best of both worlds is what I'm trying to get at does anyone not see past only window cleaning imagine taking her away to trips

Griffus

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 05:08:16 pm »
How about picking up your girl friend in a van... or a fat black fully loaded pick up that makes you feel like Marty mcfly?

Best of both worlds is what I'm trying to get at does anyone not see past only window cleaning imagine taking her away to trips

Lease a Focus for £108 a month.

http://www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/

Buy a van for work.

Simple

Mike #1

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 05:46:16 pm »

I see past it all mate for my wife and I its a great all round vehicle and our Labrador  who loves sitting in the back looking out the open bulkhead window .

when we want to go away for the weekend to a cottage in the Lake District we can get get everything in the back without taking tank etc out and go to the remotest cottages no matter what the weather and not worry about getting stuck .

Speaking as a sole trader and after 30 months of use  i see no issues with using a truck as a WFP vehicle and an  all round work/leisure vehicle the L200 is the best .

If you require a single  all round vehicle and do not see the point or the consider the financial cost of running to 2 vehicles to be at all your thing financial or otherwise then go for it mate .

You can look at my truck on my website or i send you some pics of my truck set up more than happy to chat about it as i know you have been considering the switch for some time .

Or with respect you could lease a piece of crap called a ford focus  ;D ;D ;D ;D . Mike

Mike #1

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 05:49:56 pm »
ANYWAY WHAT ABOUT THE TEST DRIVE , The warrior and barbarian models always command a higher price why not go for newer but lower spec such as a Trojan model the only difference is alloys and interior they all drive the same . Mike

robbo333

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 06:15:45 pm »
I had a Toyota hilux Vigo intimidator (Japanese import version). Absolutely amazing vehicle. Looked the dog's and more luxurious than most bmws I've been in. Wasn't window cleaning at the time and not sure I'd use it as such. If you want a compromise try and find one of these, they are very rare.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

tompoole

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 10:19:41 pm »
Or Isuzu dmax/ rodeo

Mike #1

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 05:31:35 am »
Or Isuzu dmax/ rodeo

Also a really good truck with a good history and reliable a mate has one and he loves it , Uses it for green laning , shooting  and general use it has had his about 4-5 yrs and said he would not change . Mike

Crystal-clear

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 08:32:46 pm »
Absolutely amazing drive test drove it today with the bird, full leather high up bloody pulls like crazy been told you won't even feel 500l its a piece of cake and it has 1100 payload lol that's more then a transit,
it looks amazing I'm very keen now , I'm loving it, cheapest model that I drove today is around 15k a 2010 barbarion the new one would be nice but ofc way to much
Which is the best value for money? I want the new shape been spoiled and
Considering a £10k bugjet but also saw some for 6-7k I've had an old van for ages and need to treat myself I havnt for ages so am gona!

Ill need one with a back compartment I can't see this thing being hard to work from at all ofc there is a slight difference in rear size to some vans but its worth it

the sales guy told me he took it to Amsterdam and he got 450 miles out of a full tank , it sounds like its £20 more then van call it £30 who cares you can't compare owning one of these beasts to any van, I put that baby on 4 wheel drive and put my foot down you can feel absolute power I love it,
I'm gona search the old posts to see some pictures of everyone's set up
Mike thanks I think we should have a chat as ill need advise how it all fits in and stuff upright tank I have 400L fully loaded in van it can't handle very well bet your beast laughes at it my friend told me it can pull his massive boat no problem : D
Its by far the best of all worlds , looks amazing has amazing payload designed to run wet from inside out makes you feel powerful towing people's boats cos there BMW would collapse haha, might have slightly less space for extra things but sod that guys life isn't only about cleaning windows! And regardless this has the space and I think is the dogs!