andyralph

toyota hiace
« on: February 01, 2014, 06:46:29 pm »
hi all been offered a toyota hiace lwb my vans had it any bodyuse one and any body tell me the correct pay load thanks andy

rah

Re: toyota hiace
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 06:51:53 pm »
I have 2 and was my first van. Excellent. LWB payload is about1200kg's not exact i know, but google will answer that for you. I know it's slightly higher than the swb version.

Thing's I found, key's & barrels suffer with wear, bottom slider for side door prone to failing ( keep well greased) seats, especially drives wear. other than that, built proof.
Life used to be full of up's and downs....now i hardly ever get up a ladder :) .

drakestar!

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 06:55:38 pm »
1175kgs
I agree that the sliding door has problems, mine cost me £260
to fix with new runners & welding coz the bottom runner made a hole
in the metal.
solid van apart from  this.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 06:55:53 pm »
Lovely vans, shame they hold their price so well  :'(

2007 on models are 1170kg

I'm sure their is and older model around 2000 that is higher at 1250 kg

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

andyralph

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 07:08:36 pm »
ok thanks for replys ive been offered a 2002 model  mint condition 100 k full service history 800 pound as he has just retired van has been well looked after want to put an 800 litre tank in would that be safe thanks andy

Simon Mess

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 07:12:59 pm »
ok thanks for replys ive been offered a 2002 model  mint condition 100 k full service history 800 pound as he has just retired van has been well looked after want to put an 800 litre tank in would that be safe thanks andy

Doubtful, especially if it is a 2 man setup, which i am assuming is the case if you are needing 800l.

paul ette

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 07:23:19 pm »
Bargain at. 800 pound

andyralph

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 07:28:12 pm »
yes 2  man set up ive just googled payload and says it is 1440 kilos  which i thourght an 8oo litre tank would be fine thanks for replys andy

Simon Mess

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 07:34:38 pm »
It is not 1440kg, none of them carry that much!, but for age of the one you are looking at it will be 1265kg at most.

But i agree with paul ette, sounds like a bargain.

Michael Peterson

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 08:06:18 pm »
800 buy it no, no question mate, you should buy it if it was 1500, literalty the best vans you can get

andyralph

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 08:23:24 pm »
hi all just found some data saying payload max is 1310kgs so wha would be the biggest tank i could have thanks andy

Mist A Bit

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 08:38:02 pm »
Mine cost 1400 quid and is a bit older, had a side light bulb go in the last 100,000 miles. Just had not done and failed on anti roll has link, so it will have its first repair costing 14 quid, not bad for three years

PoleKing

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 08:57:30 pm »
hi all just found some data saying payload max is 1310kgs so wha would be the biggest tank i could have thanks andy

1000l all day long
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Simon Mess

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 09:39:09 pm »

1000l all day long

Assuming you dont mind breaking the law

Simon Mess

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 10:04:05 pm »
Regarding payload, as i have already posted, 1265kg absolute max, depending on exact model, probably a bit lower, but definitely not higher!.

Regarding tank, 650l for 2 men.

I aint saying any more on the subject!. If you wish to fit a bigger tank, that is entirely up to you, but if you do, and subsequently get done for exceeding the van's gvw, dont come on here whining about it

;D

andyralph

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 11:06:13 pm »
hi thanks for advice i wiil stick to my 650 litre tank to be safe thanks andy

Jonny 87

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 11:24:34 pm »
Just got my 07 hiace.

Love it.

Only a month in so can't really comment, but it feels solid.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

PoleKing

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 11:33:44 pm »

1000l all day long

Assuming you dont mind breaking the law

Don't be an eejit.
1310kg payload, leaves 310kg for body weight, diesel and odds & sods.
Assuming the OP isn't a big fat fatty he'll be fine.

kempy

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 11:39:32 pm »
Roof rack
Ladders

It gross vehicle weight that THE LAW -VOSA-TEST YOU ON

I know I was 200 kg over in a transit 260 van with just 450 litres on my 2 man set up by pure freedom
I was lucky , dumped water let me off .

Now bought a transit T300
3000kg weight

It's all about GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT

PoleKing

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 11:49:50 pm »
Roof rack
Ladders

I know I was 200 kg over in a transit 260 van with just 450 litres on my 2 man set up by pure freedom

3000kg weight

Why would a poler carry ladders of any substance?
And roof rack? Do me a flavour.
What was your payload, 800kg?
1,300kg (that's what OP has stated) is a lot.
He could fit a 1k tank and still have enough weight for his diesel, lunchbox & a flask.
Makes me laugh all the GVW warriors on here. How many if us are driving at 40 in a 30?
That's 33% over.
I suspect most of us have done that. I certainly have.
Country lane into a village 60 drops to 30, how many of us are doing 30 as we pass the sign? Not many I'd bet.
Kempy-you feel strongly cause you nearly got busted. Fair enough. But be realistic. A few kg's over is the same (perhaps less dangerous, as a percentage at least) as a few mph over.

Smudger

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 11:59:27 pm »
From what I researched a while back 99 to 06 hi ace came in 2 specs the 2800 kg and 3000 kg. gvw. (280 and 300). One has 1140 payload the other 1260 payload

800 ltrs is far to close for the smaller size, you may be ok in the larger, but bear in mind the tank will be somewhere around 40 kg - each reel you have say 25 kg assorted bits and bobs ( signs, poles, pumps, coats, spare brushes, hose tools etc ) 30 kg. so that's at least 130 onto of water a 12 st man is 75 kg so poss another 150

Your total is now 1080.  Then you need fuel and don't forget the spare wheel !

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Dave Mills

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 11:35:08 am »

1000l all day long

310 Kg free.

60Kg Tank
180Kg Two men - do you ever drive with two people in van?  Ever?
52Kg Full tank of fuel

292Kg with no equipment.  18Kg spare.

Joker.

andyralph

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 11:58:21 am »
hi all thanks for feed back im goin for a 800 kilo tank dont carry tons of bits so that should be fine thanks andy

Simon Mess

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 12:04:30 pm »
Roof rack
Ladders

3000kg weight

He could fit a 1k tank and still have enough weight for his diesel, lunchbox & a flask.
Makes me laugh all the GVW warriors on here. How many if us are driving at 40 in a 30?
That's 33% over.
Country lane into a village 60 drops to 30, how many of us are doing 30 as we pass the sign? Not many I'd bet.
Kempy-you feel strongly cause you nearly got busted. Fair enough. But be realistic. A few kg's over is the same (perhaps less dangerous, as a percentage at least) as a few mph over.

I'll tell you what poleking, i will lay this out nice clear and simple, so hopefully you will understand!.

I have a lwb transit connect, it has a payload of 900kg, and a gvw of 2340kg, with me so far?

I have a 500l tank, that is 500kg of water, still with me?

I dont carry heaps of other stuff in my van as i am wfp only, i dont use a leisure battery (controller wired to van battery), and my r/o system lives at home, so as i say, the bare minimum in the van (oh, and by the way, i weigh about 90kg).  

I have a customer who has a weighbridge on his property, a large farm.

I went over weighbridge with a full tank of water, the reading was 2300kg, only 40kg less than my gvw!.

So, despite my having, on paper, 400kg to spare, i have in actual fact, 40kg to spare. Yet you are suggesting that with 310kg (and that is assuming the payload is 1310kg, which it isnt), on paper, to spare, andyralph will have enough leeway for an extra man, an extra hose reel, possibly an extra pump, definately one, maybe two leisure batteries?!, seriously?, and you think i am an eejit!.

Us 'gvw warriors' may make you laugh, but i can assure you, not half as much as you make me laugh, ignorance is bliss eh?

The simple fact of the matter is, quoted payloads are simply the van's gvw minus the dry weight (no fuel,no engine fluids, no driver/passengers, etc) and therefore have as much relevance to reality as manufacturers quoted mpg figures!.

Not entirely sure about the point of your comparison between speeding and overloading. My van can probably do about 95mph flat out, the maximum speed limit in this country is 70mph, so my van is well within its capabilities at any speed i am likely to be driving at. Whereas if i am overloaded, i am exceeding my van's capabilities whatever speed i am doing. A van with a payload of 1500kg is going to have stronger suspension and stronger brakes than a van with a 1000kg payload, so it can deal with the extra weight, or do you not grasp the logic of that poleking?. If you are involved in a serious accident where there is any questions over who is at fault and the subsequent investigation reveals you are well over the vans gvw (which a hiace 300 with a 1000l tank and 2 operators would definately be, by some distance) you would be well and truly f****d.

Dave Mills

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 12:24:40 pm »
You have missed Polekings point.  The speed limit thing - he just means we all break the law on speeding (penalty £90 plus 3 point) 

therefore dont worry about driving a van overweight (Legislation imposes fines
of up to £5,000 for each offence. That
means a fine for each overloaded axle plus any
overloading on the total weight. Also, if a
vehicle is dangerously overloaded the driver could
face a charge of Dangerous Driving, which
carries a maximum penalty of two years in prison.
 If a vehicle is overloaded and results in someone being
killed, both driver and operator could face going to
jail for Manslaughter or Death by
Dangerous Driving)

He is probably right.

Smudger

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 03:46:33 pm »
Thanks for that post mr mills I was about to make that point myself plus you will find that the insurance company will invalidate the cover.

Simon, so pole king has rattled your cage, chill a bit, I'd like to know why your payload to gvw is so adrift

What model connect do you have?

Darran

Simon Mess

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 04:20:58 pm »
Thanks for that post mr mills I was about to make that point myself plus you will find that the insurance company will invalidate the cover.

Simon, so pole king has rattled your cage, chill a bit, I'd like to know why your payload to gvw is so adrift

What model connect do you have?

Darran

Hey Darran, i am a calm person, honest!.  My van is a 230tdci (lwb), and yes i have checked, both the payload and gvw!.

Since i had my weighbridge experience, i have been trying, usually in vain, to warn others not to go by the quoted payload. It certainly is not helped by people like poleking's 'opinion', which going by his calculations re the hiace (1310kg payload, 2 operators=1000l tank!), means he probably thinks i should have a 750l tank in my van, which would actually make it 210kg overweight!.

Smudger

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 04:44:02 pm »
On things that may break the law, it's best not to take some 'blokes' advice off a forum!

A bit like taking someone's word down the pub that it ok to drive on bald tyres jus because he does...

It is interesting that your vehicle is so far out, luckily I have a 3.5 tonne that has a 1620 kg payload so I'm sure I'm inside the limit  :-\

We have a new grain storage facility near us with a shiny new weigh bridge so I will pop over at get all the vans checked out

Darran

PoleKing

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 05:38:06 pm »
Roof rack
Ladders

3000kg weight

That's 33% over.

I'll tell you what poleking, i will lay this out nice clear and simple, so hopefully you will understand!.

I have a lwb transit connect, it has a payload of 900kg, and a gvw of 2340kg, with me so far?

I have a 500l tank, that is 500kg of water, still with me?

I dont carry heaps of other stuff in my van as i am wfp only, i dont use a leisure battery (controller wired to van battery), and my r/o system lives at home, so as i say, the bare minimum in the van (oh, and by the way, i weigh about 90kg).  

I have a customer who has a weighbridge on his property, a large farm.

I went over weighbridge with a full tank of water, the reading was 2300kg, only 40kg less than my gvw!.

So, despite my having, on paper, 400kg to spare, i have in actual fact, 40kg to spare. Yet you are suggesting that with 310kg (and that is assuming the payload is 1310kg, which it isnt), on paper, to spare, andyralph will have enough leeway for an extra man, an extra hose reel, possibly an extra pump, definately one, maybe two leisure batteries?!, seriously?, and you think i am an eejit!.

Us 'gvw warriors' may make you laugh, but i can assure you, not half as much as you make me laugh, ignorance is bliss eh?

The simple fact of the matter is, quoted payloads are simply the van's gvw minus the dry weight (no fuel,no engine fluids, no driver/passengers, etc) and therefore have as much relevance to reality as manufacturers quoted mpg figures!.

Not entirely sure about the point of your comparison between speeding and overloading. My van can probably do about 95mph flat out, the maximum speed limit in this country is 70mph, so my van is well within its capabilities at any speed i am likely to be driving at. Whereas if i am overloaded, i am exceeding my van's capabilities whatever speed i am doing. A van with a payload of 1500kg is going to have stronger suspension and stronger brakes than a van with a 1000kg payload, so it can deal with the extra weight, or do you not grasp the logic of that poleking?. If you are involved in a serious accident where there is any questions over who is at fault and the subsequent investigation reveals you are well over the vans gvw (which a hiace 300 with a 1000l tank and 2 operators would definately be, by some distance) you would be well and truly f****d.

I fully understand what you're saying. And, to a point, i agree.
All warriors get my goat a little tbh.
If you're not, fair enough, but thats my perception.
Long & short. The only way anyone will know their proper weights is to go to the weigh bridge.
Everyone's posts on here are opinions. Yours and mine included.
You feel you've had a close call-fair enough.
And does anyone actually have experience of insurance being invalidated for being overweight?
If not, another opinion. That i personally disagree with.
Dangerous drivers, drunk drivers, speeders etc etc, they still get paid out in some cases. Why would being overweight be any different. Again, just my opinion. If someone KNOWS better, id be interested to hear the story.

Smudger

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 06:14:56 pm »

Check the fine print of your insurance policy, same as modifications (undisclosed) or not having an mot

Your responsibility for the weight of the vehicle, and should be checked, same as the poor s@d driving it if overweight they get done for driving it, just like bald tyres etc..

Darran

Dave Mills

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 06:44:47 pm »

Everyone's posts on here are opinions. Yours and mine included.

Wrong again. Mine was factual about the penalties. Plenty have been factual about what else needs to be taken into account. Kempy posted about something that happened to him.  Ditto Simon.

Just because you post an opinion that 1000L will be OK, dont accuse everyone of posting opinions.  Plenty of facts on this thread and others.

PoleKing

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 06:47:05 pm »
Sorry, edit:

Most peoples posts are opinions, yours & mine included.

And ignore Dave Mills, he may be menstruating.

Dave Mills

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 06:54:12 pm »
Sorry, edit:

Simon Mess: "I went over weighbridge with a full tank of water, the reading was 2300kg, only 40kg less than my gvw!. "  No, that's not an opinion. Its factual.  Unlike anything you have posted.

You really should keep your mouth shut when you dont know what youre talking about.

PoleKing

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 06:59:05 pm »
Sorry, edit:

Simon Mess: "I went over weighbridge with a full tank of water, the reading was 2300kg, only 40kg less than my gvw!. "  No, that's not an opinion. Its factual.  Unlike anything you have posted.

You really should keep your mouth shut when you dont know what youre talking about.

Thanks for that gem.
Keep us posted if you find that single pane of glass for £1m.  :-*