Moderator David@stives

A place to chat...3
« on: October 14, 2005, 07:22:18 pm »
I thought i would start a new one as the old one is now getting very long

I keep getting sent emails with attachments .i have not opened one yet as i think it may be a virus has any one here been recieving these below

Dear Dmorris20220 Member,

Your e-mail account was used to send a huge amount of unsolicited spam messages during the recent week. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and confirm the attached document so you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to cancel your membership.

Virtually yours,
The Dmorris20220 Support Team

+++ Attachment: No Virus found
+++ Dmorris20220 Antivirus - www.dmorris20220.

wanadoo.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.12.0/132 - Release Date: 13/10/

Re: A place to chat...3
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 07:27:03 pm »
Sounds dodgy to me, David.  Just delete.

Speaking of 'dodgy', I've just eaten a massive bag of beef jerky, hot 'n' spicy that friends brought me back from their holiday in Florida.  I requested it specially after developing a taste for it when posted near US PX's (their equivalent of a NAAFI).

But a huge bag of hot 'n' spicy beef jerky shouldn't be consumed in one go; like I've just done.

My guts are feeling a bit dodgy.

daniel b

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 07:40:59 pm »
lovely :D
DSB Cleaning Services,Wrexham,N.Wales.
NFMWGC NO.9442,
Safe contractor approved.
www.dsbcleaningservices.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 07:42:47 pm »
Wot? A new "place to chat"?

That means Tosh (and all the other great unwashed) won't get to see that Geordieland was indeed annexed by the Romans (a la my comment about the Antonine wall in the last place to chat) or my answer to Ross about railway vehicle axles going around corners.

And they won't know why ChrisC wanted to slash his wrists - although that might become apparent as you glaze over as you read my posts this evening.

Humph! :'(

;D
It's a game of three halves!

mark dew

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 07:47:02 pm »
Yesterday i advertised my late mums car on the net in the free-ads. I got this email:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw your advert via the internet and i am willing
to buy your vauxhall £2750  I will like you to mail me the best
offer you can give  and the present conditions.Attach pix if
available. Thanks and God bless.
Regards

Replied with my phone number and got this 1 earlier:
Mark

With thanks I acknowledge the receipt of your email
 and I noted the contents very well. I am glad you mail back.
 everthing is fine by me ..I will like to that i will be paying you through cachiers check let you know that I will pay 2600 pounds with  cachiers check I work with chevrontexaco and I  these involve a alot of travelling so I will tell my client so get the payment ready for you,   I wont be  able to come personally as a result of my Busy work Schedule... if  is ok by you let me have your detail so that i can prepare your payment for you so if it ok by you let me have your
full name
address
phone number your payment will be prepared for you
immediately and
Awaiting your response, Regards
Larry

Googled cashiers cheques 'cos i didn't know what 1 was and scam after scam came up.
As i was thinking of a reply (i wanted to go along with it) a mate phoned and is very interested in the car. Will see him tomorrow.
I was wondering if i could get a unique avatar out of this. Like tosh's 419 scammer.

Any ideas??

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 07:51:32 pm »
Wot? A new "place to chat"?

That means Tosh (and all the other great unwashed) won't get to see that Geordieland was indeed annexed by the Romans (a la my comment about the Antonine wall in the last place to chat) or my answer to Ross about railway vehicle axles going around corners.

And they won't know why ChrisC wanted to slash his wrists - although that might become apparent as you glaze over as you read my posts this evening.

Humph! :'(

;D

Did David delete the last 'a place to chat'?  I'd've liked to have seen your post, Malc and argued over some trivial point of fact.

Shame on you, David.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 07:52:34 pm »
NO i did not delete it

I could not lock it either looks like i have been transformed into vince cobbald

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 07:53:08 pm »
No it's still there.  Sorry David.

It's not locked either, so I'm off to start making comments in that one.

;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 07:55:22 pm »
Markdew (Sorry to hear about your Mum, mate - you only get one, don't you?)

If you get the money (Oink flap) then you've met an honest guy. (Oink flap, Oink flap) Let them have the car.

When they start saying "Can't send the dosh cuz over here in Nigeria the govt rebels won't let us blah de blah de blah etc .... we need you to send (£££whatever) first" then play games with 'em!"

Oink flap = flying pig, before Tosh asks.
 ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 07:57:46 pm »
I am getting similar emails at about 1 an hour
all with the same attatchments

Dear Dmorris20220 Member,

We have temporarily suspended your email account  fred@ dmorris20220. wanadoo.co.uk.

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
3. An innability to accurately verify your selected option of subscription due to an internal error within our processors.
See the details to reactivate your   Dmorris 20220 account.

Sincerely,The Dmorris 20220 Support Team

mark dew

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 08:04:29 pm »
We have temporarily suspended your email account  fred@ dmorris20220. wanadoo.co.uk.

Is it actually not working now? Can you send emails or login?

It does sound dodgy..

mark

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 08:09:16 pm »
i can still send them my name is dave each one comes with a differant first name    ???

mark dew

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 08:20:46 pm »
i can still send them my name is dave each one comes with a differant first name     
Then it is a scam if it is not really suspended.
A few months agothere was a story about 1 of the big banks who uncovered an israeli hacker. They only found him (they say..) because there were many emails going to the same address address.
They found he had sent them an email with an attachment that contained a key logger. The emails contained every key pressed on the keyboard where he was hoping to get login details into their system. Then transfer money to a bank account.
Can't remember who it was but it was earlier this year.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 08:25:02 pm »
Hi Dave,

Not had this problem with email accounts but did with my ebay account.  Spoof emails were sent saying that the account was suspended and that I had to update my records by clicking a link.

If I had done it they would have accessed my bank account and who knows............

Ignore it or just block them.  Try emailling your service provided for guidance.

Regards,

Sarah
Sarah

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 08:40:42 pm »
I have had 3 more in the last hour all containing a zip attarchment
49 kb .they are going to block up my email account .

Dave

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 08:53:42 pm »
i can still send them my name is dave each one comes with a differant first name    ???

Just NEVER click on a link in the emails to go to the relevant website.  It can have the correct website in the browser's address bar but can be a spoof, look-alike site.

mark dew

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2005, 08:58:28 pm »
sory malc, i missed your post.
Yeah..... thanks. Only get one. And a good one she was too.  ;D

dave, Can you block them as spam?
I think you can set your email account to reject all emails apart from known addresses that you enter.
I've had my email address m arkdew@email.com for about 8 years. I've been asked to upgrade for years but i don't want to pay. I can't even access it now without popups that install stuff if i click on enter.
But i've never had anything like that.
Maybe it's on the way..

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2005, 09:00:17 pm »
I have just blocked them in outlook the trouble is they are coming under differant  adresses i have blocked about 8 alternatives

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2005, 09:54:47 pm »
David I've just sent you a legit email, in case you are wondering..

Pj

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2005, 09:59:49 pm »
Hi Dave.

Just to add my bit, ever since I dumped Internet Explorer and Outlook and started using the Mozilla Firefox browser instead I've lost all my problems.

In 6 months I've never had a virus, pop-up or any spam, and some of the sites I visit are virus breeding grounds!( ;))

It seems 99% of virii(?) are written to mess up Microsoft's default browser.
They don't affect Firefox.

Anyone else use a different browser? ???

Rog.