dave0123

Re: anyone do a milk round
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 10:22:54 pm »
delivers milk up to mid day? i doubt it everyone would have gone to work by then there would be no point.

When i helped one few years ago in summer time when i had just left school we was back at the dairy by 8.45 and then the fella would go to work and do his tree surgery stuff
Dave.

the bfg

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 07:24:12 am »
delivers milk up to mid day? i doubt it everyone would have gone to work by then there would be no point.

When i helped one few years ago in summer time when i had just left school we was back at the dairy by 8.45 and then the fella would go to work and do his tree surgery stuff

I always wanted to be a tree surgen but I cant stand the sight of sap  :D

Londoner

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 07:53:18 am »
Very few milkmen left around here now. You do see them from time to time but nothing like the old days.

the bfg

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 08:02:20 am »
milkmen are disapearing because of the large supermarkets and thats why milk farmers are selling up.

seen an ad on tv the other day about milkmen who als deliver groceries and household stuff.

anyone else seen this ad ?

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 08:16:23 am »
my dad was a milkman back in the mid 70s.i used to go with him sometimes delivering hampers very early on cold wet mornings all around salford.i think now you can always combine being a community police officer as well as milkman! ;) ;D ;D.

i couldnt stand getting up at 3 or 4am every morning.i like my sleep!getting up at 6-7am is about my limit!!

where i grew up there was a guy called don who was on the milk for years and cleaned windows in the afternoon.he was charging around 50p a house back in the mid eighties.

window cleaning is my sole income and i can live quite comfortably on it although its took years to build a good solid round.other jobs dont interest me as when im not working im resting for the next window cleaning onslaught thats looming!! ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

Helen

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 08:54:41 am »

By the time he had done all the deliveries and gets the float back to the depot, washes it down, preps for the next day etc etc it is midday. Milk isn't delivered on a time schedule, so don't quite understand your think of "no point" if people have gone to work.......
thats's a bit like saying don't clean windows in winter there's no point :)

G Griffin

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 09:19:35 am »
It`s not that easy being a milkman.
It`s not just a manual job, you need to be semi-skimmed at least.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

roundbuilder

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 02:11:11 pm »
sorry but there are still tonnes of milkman left. im a canvasser for dairy creast, pensworth, b n a dairys etc etc. all still going well.

laddermonkee

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 03:49:27 pm »
Whatever happened to Ernie?
'Ladders isn't a shiner he's between jobs'

dave0123

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 05:04:52 pm »
[quoteBy the time he had done all the deliveries and gets the float back to the depot, washes it down, preps for the next day etc etc it is midday. Milk isn't delivered on a time schedule, so don't quite understand your think of "no point" if people have gone to work.......
thats's a bit like saying don't clean windows in winter there's no point ][/quote]

Because what would be the point in getting milk left on the doorstep at 11 am to come home at 5pm to find it there? when i helped out the float never had a wash each day if at all lol. Its all computerised now (hand terminals) plugs into computer i imagine with next days order 20mins back at depot and that's it. Next morning your delivery milk is waiting for you in your round department load up and on ur way!
Dave.

Helen

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 06:00:42 pm »
[quoteBy the time he had done all the deliveries and gets the float back to the depot, washes it down, preps for the next day etc etc it is midday. Milk isn't delivered on a time schedule, so don't quite understand your think of "no point" if people have gone to work.......
thats's a bit like saying don't clean windows in winter there's no point ]

Because what would be the point in getting milk left on the doorstep at 11 am to come home at 5pm to find it there? when i helped out the float never had a wash each day if at all lol. Its all computerised now (hand terminals) plugs into computer i imagine with next days order 20mins back at depot and that's it. Next morning your delivery milk is waiting for you in your round department load up and on ur way!
[/quote]

From earlier in this thread by GTO....... I guess it's not only the milkies in our area then :)
i looked at delivering milk at one time but its a 3.00am start until your finished.
and i have seen the milk floats going back at 11am, so it would be a full days work, before you start your windows.

dave0123

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 06:10:01 pm »
Some collect money for a hour two after the round but that's i suppose up to each individual and size of round, about 90% are back earlier than that.

My brothers GF mate does two rounds and is finished by about 9.30 am starts early yes but it is two rounds
Dave.

sandy

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 08:58:14 pm »
i have a breast milk round  but i have no suppliers or customers

jon shaw

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 04:39:06 pm »
i did a milk round for 5 years.in east midlands(finished a year ago)...started on £25,000..ended about £20,000 but less money less work....the business is dying b cus of the supermarkets 90% decline since the early 90`s... the price of a pint was 45p when i started now its 65p...your self employed and given a round by dairycrest.....i would start at 1 am mondays and fridays! a bit later rest of week (5 day week 3am ish) working about 35 hours a week when i finished...but very hard hours to work always always tired even on my holidays! your superfit but good 4 nothing at home.....not much social life.
the guy who had my round off me was on £35,000 ,my round would have added £25,000 to his income (b`cus £5,000 a year renting the float ,he wudn`t pay 4 twice)  £ 60,000 a year! they wud have cut my 5 day round and his 5 day round to 3 days each, but hard workand he wud work 6 days a week.