LWC

Whose fallen from a ladder here
« on: March 16, 2011, 10:57:07 am »
Fell off twice in my trad years, first one really hurt, leant too far over a porch and it was mossy, slipt straight down with ladder and my foot went thru rungs and underneath with my weight on it...how i didnt break my foot ill never know but i still have trouble with it now. That was about 8 years ago. Then about 6 years ago i only put my foot on another porch to reach...again probably more than i shouldve been leaning and over i went splat on the floor, good job it was on the grass. I was ok, got up and carried on, was just winded and in shock lol...the next day i went WFP  ;)

Yeh all user error faults, but when your out to do a row of houses sometimes those odd little stretches save you some time..and then others really dont as i found out! Thank goodness for WFP is all i can say, not having to shift and jig the ladder about is so nice. And not having to go up and down up and down just for a couple of windows, with the pole its just one window, to the next, to the next.

When customers say they dont like the pole, i tell them well ive fallen off twice and for the rough £1 a window i charge its not risking my health or life for...it seems to his home to them then.

VSP Home Care

Re: Whose fallen from a ladder here
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:14:36 am »
I managed to lift myself about two foot off the ladder and then straight down from about 8' up using a drill once, seriously stupid as I'd already snagged twice on something before it decided to teach me a lesson  ;D

I was more concerned that someone might have seen me being a total dick than any pain  ;D  Luckily I didn't hurt myself apart from double twisted wrists  ;D

As a child I fell from most things at some point and have a few scars to prove it.  Followed my old man up a ladder when I was about 6 and stuck a leg through it, flipped upside down and landed face first on a barbed wire fence  ;D

Loads of blood and a trip to hospital after my old man stuck me in the back of his Volvo and drove me to the nearest farm so the farmer could have a look and laugh  :( 

H S and Son

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:45:24 pm »
Two weeks after starting shining I tried to bounce the ladder I was using across a sill whilst I was still up it. Needless to say the ladder slipped rather rapidly from underneath me, I came off, broke my heel and split my tibia up the middle.

Was off work for 6 weeks.

LWC

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 12:56:30 pm »
Mind you, i dont think your a proper window cleaner until youve fallen off.

H S and Son

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 01:03:38 pm »
You have to have fallen off, injured yourself and gone back to window-cleaning afterwards to be a proper window-cleaner.

Sean Dyer

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 01:37:29 pm »
Had a few nasty falls, but always been ok?

Been lucky i suppose, always  fell on grass or had the ladder hit something solid stopping me hitting the ground, had a bench break my fall once too

So i am much more careful now, always have any tricky moves footed, and use wfp where i can, once i get  a van will be 90 % wfp as dont feel safe on ladders the more i use wfp and the older i get the more i worry about it and so the more conscious and less confident i get!

LWC

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 02:26:32 pm »
You have to have fallen off, injured yourself and gone back to window-cleaning afterwards to be a proper window-cleaner.

Here here lol

cozy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 02:37:26 pm »
In my first year I had the ladder set at a stupid angle for a 1st floor window, it was on
 grass and the bottom slipped away and I went streight down. My right heel hit the rung so hard when it impacted, that it left a big dent in the rung. Couldn't walk for a few days but nothing broken luckily.

You learn by these things or you die or land in a wheelchair. Going WFP soon.

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 03:26:18 pm »
yep 2002 breaking every rule there is too steep angle,no one footing me,no ladder mitts on plastic fascia, standing on top rung,overstretching. needless to say the ladder came out from underneath me and i went straight down luckily landed on the ladder which at least had a bit of give, ambulance came went to hospital fractured T12 vertibrae and a chest brace for 6 weeks and damaged my coxix. oh and they didnt give me any pain relief and me being so hard didnt want to ask. a few days later notice massive black bruising to my arse cheeks and top of legs where i had hit the rungs, didnt notice the pain at the time cos my back was worse. no accidents since though.
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

weetot

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 03:30:02 pm »
1986 right tibia and fibia plus 2 left small toes, fell first floor height.
That gravity's a swine. :D
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 03:43:21 pm »
ive fell off twice!both times the ladder slid down the wall and i landed on my heels!! ::) ::)

once on imprinted concrete and the other on mossy flags!should of known better!!

luckily only sprained ankle first time.second time hurt my back with the shock up my spine from landing on heels.

i must have heels made of steel!!! ;D ;D ;D

both times i was back working within a few days.very lucky by all accounts.

also had a few times where the ladder has slipped an inch or so!heart in the mouth time when your sliding down the wall!

thank god wfp was invented!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

edward1

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 03:49:32 pm »
 Broke talus in right foot and left myself with a disabled foot .

was told at the time that i had a 70% chance of having a fixed foot.no movement in it at all .which usually results in an amputation.

however ,i did recover and surprized the surgeon.i now run marathons and sso far have been ok .im ok on ladders at house height but above that and im not relaxed .but of coarse im a poler now.

Luckily my wife had an insurance policy on me which paid out a small weekly amount .and i also got compo for the injury.
the policy was only 10 puond a month through the aa which i still have.

so ladders r dangerous .be carefull guys

steven ainger

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:57:00 pm »
i feel off my step ladder, does that count ???
 it was a  3 step, step ladder,  i was cleaning a window and one of the legs sank into the ground and snapped and i went flying into the flow pots, wasnt hurt but must of looked a tad silly  :-[

DaveG

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 04:40:11 pm »
Fell off a ladder while over reaching (trying to do a bay window in 2 climbs) fractured my skull  ???
You can't polish a turd

Johnny B

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 04:52:05 pm »
I have had several falls, all of which I walked away from unhurt. I must be made of rubber.

The funniest one was where I wasn't actually on the ladder. I was standing on a flat concrete ledge above the front door. I cleaned the window, stood back to .............

.......AAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh....

............... admire my handiwork and landed on my backside, on concrete. Fortunately I wear a builder's tool belt which was well padded, and cushioned the impact. I walked away without so much as a bruise.  ;D ;D ;D

John

Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

andy1975

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 05:06:22 pm »
had few falls nothing serious,but its amazing how badly my leg bruised

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 05:42:28 pm »
Yes I have fallen.  I landed on my back once.  Fortunately I was only a few rungs up and it was a soft landing.  I've had a ladder slide out from underneath me as well.  Got very lucky that day.
All of it was operator error.

TomCrowther

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 05:50:26 pm »
gulity. Jan 2010 went up over flat roof no problem, coming back I put my left foot on the top rung, swung round to grab the top of the ladder and suddenly it wasn't there. I hit my shoulder on the edge of the roof on the way down, fell about 10 ft with my left leg through the rungs of the ladder and hit the concrete like a sack of you know what.
Shoulder was murder, thought it was broken but just badly bruised and the same with my lower left leg. Massive bumps/bruises but no breaks. Strong bones due to weights and footy I reckon. I was rushing due to the bad weather the week before. Never again and I dropped that customer last year too. can live without his £12.

Ian W

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 06:05:00 pm »
I wasn't window cleaning, but fell off a ladder that was put up by my boss at the time. The daft git had put it against some asbestos guttering and when I climbed it with some ironwork I was putting up the guttering broke and I came crashing down from about 8 feet up with the balustrade quickly following down onto my head. I should have gone for compo really, but I was only 18 and didn't want to lose my job.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

Dave66

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 06:06:25 pm »
fell just once, only about 10ft..damm wind  >:(

no more ladders anymore thank god for the pole  ;D

cant believe everyone does'nt use it  ???
plenty of cream...plenty of sugar!

Smudger

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 06:49:12 pm »
took a tumble approx 15 ft - from what i can remember ladder was on wood cladding..

landed, bounced 5 ft then landed again!   

had a paramedic, ambulance and the air ambulance all arrive - very exciting !

no more than bad bruising to shoulder and ribs.

worst thing was i went back to finish round the next week and according to me custy's a w/c had been
round telling them i had taken a fall and would take them on as custy's!!  >:(

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

sf

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 06:58:07 pm »
never fallen off a ladder in 20 years.fallen off a few roofs mind. ouch :(

bobby p

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 07:05:59 pm »
last october , my ladder shot out from under me , i was using a LADDERMAT , on a quarry tile path .  i hit the path hard on soles of my feet,bent a rung on  my trade ladder too . i suffered for about a month  ,but okay now

lcwalker

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 07:40:03 pm »
I fell off a step ladder cutting a hedge flat on my back it was a job i was doing for probably the tightest customers i have ever had, i cut the hedge did a really good job charged the going rate never heard from them again.Before the hegde i cut the lawn a few time they use to get me to go round the buttercups and other things they we weird.

Llaaww

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 07:44:44 pm »
I have done some silly ladderwork over the years. I have never fallen off a biggun, but I used to fly along with a small point. One particularly busy morning my foot slipped inside the third rung, and lost it. I ended up on the pavement surrounded by lots of concerned comuters. No harm done.

I had a ladder hit me after falling in the wind. I was on the phone to the boss and telling him it was too windy to carry on. He heard the ladder hit me and put me on to something a bit easier for the rest of the day.
if it is dirty it is fair game

Richard Neal

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 09:44:23 pm »
Never fallen but ive had the ladder slip a couple of times, really knocks your confidence when you go up there again!!

had a bloke working with me once who fell off his step ladder and i caught him in my arms he was pretty skinny but still about 10 stone!!
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 09:45:59 pm »
Had a few close calls in my time , only one worth mentioning was during my first stint as a S/E W/C .
Big old council property with railing and nasty concrete steps to the basement , the railing was just that little bit far from the house wall to get clearance to foot a ladder safely , so religiously bike locked the ladder to the railing on every visit , never moved , however , on this occasion i left the lock in the car , i'll only be up there 2 mins i thought , i think i managed about 10 secs , felt the feet start to jump and held on for the ride !
I watched 2 big score lines muller the wall as i went , i then took down the hanging basket and proceeded towards my next stop , ladder hit the railing and began to upend , still holding the ladder like a limpit i then began my descent to the cellar headfirst , another 8 foot to go , head first , i landed in a big snotty heap into the corner of the stairwell , i was in exactly the same position but upside down and a little cramped , my only injury was a bruise to the knee , dont know what saved me that day , basket , railing , or the fact i kept hold of the ladder , i should be by rights of ladder lore..... DEAD  :o

I was given another chance , i gave up soon after the fall only for a better paid job , when i came back to the game i still was on ladders and did well , i then jumped off a 3 foot drainpipe in a poor attempt at entertaining my parents and missus , i split the cartilage in my knee and was off for 6 weeks  :o

That is the only reason i am now WFP (and wiser of course)  

Rich      
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

lcwalker

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 10:17:27 pm »
There was another time i had a ladder mishap but it wasn't really my fault i hadn't been with my girlfriend long and we went back to her mums house where she still lived but the ddor was locked, but a window was open so i said ill get in up there.Well her step dad had this wooden ladder i got near the top and the rungs started to break under my feet about 3 went and i was hanging on the window i managed to get in, that was the last time i went up a wooden ladder.

H S and Son

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 10:33:39 pm »
Had a few close calls in my time , only one worth mentioning was during my first stint as a S/E W/C .
Big old council property with railing and nasty concrete steps to the basement , the railing was just that little bit far from the house wall to get clearance to foot a ladder safely , so religiously bike locked the ladder to the railing on every visit , never moved , however , on this occasion i left the lock in the car , i'll only be up there 2 mins i thought , i think i managed about 10 secs , felt the feet start to jump and held on for the ride !
I watched 2 big score lines muller the wall as i went , i then took down the hanging basket and proceeded towards my next stop , ladder hit the railing and began to upend , still holding the ladder like a limpit i then began my descent to the cellar headfirst , another 8 foot to go , head first , i landed in a big snotty heap into the corner of the stairwell , i was in exactly the same position but upside down and a little cramped , my only injury was a bruise to the knee , dont know what saved me that day , basket , railing , or the fact i kept hold of the ladder , i should be by rights of ladder lore..... DEAD  :o

I was given another chance , i gave up soon after the fall only for a better paid job , when i came back to the game i still was on ladders and did well , i then jumped off a 3 foot drainpipe in a poor attempt at entertaining my parents and missus , i split the cartilage in my knee and was off for 6 weeks  :o

That is the only reason i am now WFP (and wiser of course)  

Rich      

That was very graphically described, I could just picture it, thankyou; you missed the bit about kacking yourself, I would have over a cellar-drop.

btc

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 11:08:18 pm »
I saw a windy fall off his ladder in Loughborough the other morning. Fortunately, he was only doing a storefront window, so he wasn't too far off the ground.

Basically, he reached over too far and than bam on the floor. He went back up the ladder so i can only assume he was ok.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 11:13:37 pm »
I had a couple of small falls & near misses in my trad years,.. nothing compared to my father in law though.

Once he fell off and landed on a spiked iron railing below, skewered him in the stomach. Doc's said it was being fat that saved him!!

Another time when I was working with him he fell off a porch roof and landed on the brand new mini below & ended up with his head through the back window. £800 repair bill, a trip to hospital & a week off work for that one!

P @ F

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 11:25:57 pm »
I never said i didnt cack myself  ;D

Rich
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Londoner

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 08:25:26 am »
I saw a painter fall off a ladder last summer, well I didn't actually see it I heard the crash and came running out from the back of the house I was cleaning.

Thats not the point I wanted to make however, it doesn't have to be high to be damaging. A while back I stepped back off a ladder when I was on the second rung. just came down heavy on my right heel. However I an still getting a lot of pain from that heel even now. As I sit here now I can feel it and after a days work it aches.

PAIN IN THE GLASS

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 08:33:16 am »
never fell of a ladder...Fell of path and into a hedge but I blame that on the stella. ;D ;D had a few falls that way.