davey c

Scrim
« on: February 05, 2007, 09:00:14 pm »
Hi been new to this window cleaning lark, I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me if its correct to boil your scrims before use. Much appreciated.
better luck tommorow.......

steve5000

Re: Scrim
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 09:59:41 pm »
Hi dave,yes thats correct,if you didnt buy the already boiled ones then you boil them for about 20 mins or so,then put them in the washing machine,with a bit of washing powder.
They will be a little harder to use first time,but will soon wear in with use.
hope this helps ;)
steve

brett walker

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 10:43:30 pm »
put it on a boil wash twice  :)

brett

davey c

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 09:46:19 pm »
put it on a boil wash twice  :)

brett
thanks for that im going to do it this pm. cheers dave.
better luck tommorow.......

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 04:58:25 am »
Hi been new to this window cleaning lark, I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me if its correct to boil your scrims before use. Much appreciated.

I've never bothered boiling them myself.  I broke them in by leaving them soaking in water or by using them to wipe the sills with.  If you only have new scrims though, boiling them will get the usable sooner.
PS.  You can buy them pre-washed from some places.

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 08:03:46 am »
You can't beat boil washing scrims especially if you have a few so it doesn't work out too expensive. It takes time but once worn in they are great! ;D

Shaun R. :)

RO-Sheen

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 09:20:20 am »
Im not sure about this (so you trad experts will have to verify this..) but if you wash them in the machine DON'T use fabric conditioner!
Formerly known as GARGAAX

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 10:41:39 am »
Im not sure about this (so you trad experts will have to verify this..) but if you wash them in the machine DON'T use fabric conditioner!
To my knowledge that's correct! It just ruins them!  :D

Shaun R. :)

dai

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 09:35:37 pm »
I think one of the biggest myths concerning scrim is, the older the scrim, the better it gets. I find this is absolute rubbish. I have at least 30 scrims in the van, and I am mainly WFP. Many of these scrims are old, but none have holes in them.
You can't beat a newish, well broken in scrim. These are rougher and give a better clean on the glass. Old ones get dirty a lot quicker.
 If you are trad, and do a lot of salted windows, You will find a newer scrim 10 times better.
I was using leathers and scrim to clean windows before we had squeegees in the 1950's.
We washed ours by hand in plain water, ring them out as much as you can, open them out and give them a few flicks, and use them damp.
This is the way to use scrim for hand work.
Using scrim for detailing is a different matter, you are using them to mop up the thin trails round the edges, a dry scrim will of course last longer before changing. A newer scrim, having more bulk will again last longer.
I hate tumble dried scrims, they feel far too soft for my liking. I prefer them harder, so that they form a nice pad in your hand.
As has been said above, if you put them in the washer, don't add detergent or conditioner. Dai