jo5hm4n

Van Not working & Employees
« on: March 21, 2023, 03:29:12 pm »
So i got a call our van has broken down on the last job of the day.  Currently waiting on the AA to turn up and possibly diagnose the issue.  Van wont start so likely to be dead battery or starter motor i think.  We had a new battery 6 months ago so doubt its that.

Anyway for those of you who employ, what is your process when a van breaks down.

My process is to diagnose the fault as quick as possible, then phone up all 5 local garages that i use, and whoever can fit us in the quickest ideally within 1-3 days is who i drop the van off with. 

The way i see it, the downtime alone costs me more than it does to fix the van for most straight forward issues.

Today though all garages i have spoken to are saying cant fit us in until atleast next tuesday.

So its looking like 1 week off the road for the van, plus my employee.  All for possibly something as cheap as a starter motor to be replaced.

Im wondering if theres any other backup solutions i could do here other than the obvious one which is to have a backup working van for when things go wrong.

Any suggestions.  Anyone ever used a mobile mechanic for emergency repairs?

Ggh

Re: Van Not working & Employees
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 03:57:54 pm »
Have a spare van👍
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Ascjim

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 04:09:19 pm »
We rent one from Streamline in Newton Abbot

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 04:27:58 pm »
all my vans are set up for 2 men - we usually run 1 man per van so we can double up in emergency situations

the longest I was a van down was 12 weeks after one of the lads drove it into a customers house and it needed new panels

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 04:54:31 pm »
The obvious is have a 2 man system and lump them together or have a spare van.

Other option is to hire a van and fill it with barrels and backpacks/trolley

Ive used hire vans on 2 ocassions, both times i chucked my tank in with ratchet straps and cobbled a d.i.y system up. Not sure i woudl want an employee using a hire van though something else for them to damage.

I would say though buy a cheap spare van, you can always sorn it and leave it uninsured to save money if you have somewhere safe and off road to store it,  least its there when needed.

Splash & dash

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 05:09:02 pm »
We have a hire van fully kitted out through our insurance company if it’s an accident delivered to the door within 24 hours , but if it’s a mechanical breakdown then it’s a case of getting it fixed at a garage ,luckily this situation hasn’t happened yet but the main garage we use is an MAN dealership they work 27-7 and will service a van  any time day or night so our vans go in at 18:00 and are serviced through the night then picked up at 7 am so no down time from work , not had a breakdown in 24 years , now I have said this I expect all the vans will break down tomorrow 😂😂

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 05:48:56 pm »
We have a hire van fully kitted out through our insurance company if it’s an accident delivered to the door within 24 hours , but if it’s a mechanical breakdown then it’s a case of getting it fixed at a garage ,luckily this situation hasn’t happened yet but the main garage we use is an MAN dealership they work 27-7 and will service a van  any time day or night so our vans go in at 18:00 and are serviced through the night then picked up at 7 am so no down time from work , not had a breakdown in 24 years , now I have said this I expect all the vans will break down tomorrow 😂😂

very lucky then

Ive had a citroen dispatch gearbox went on it whilst working had to be transported off. Transit connect fuel pump went, cleaned a house came back out and it woudnt start, that ended up being towed to the garage.... Had a vivaro that i went out to one morning and starter motor had gone  ;D

DJW

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 06:17:09 pm »

How do they work twenty seven hours a day?

Splash & dash

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 06:33:51 pm »

How do they work twenty seven hours a day?

Lol typo 😂😂😂24-7

richard connett

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 06:50:12 pm »
I’ve worked out the back of my Volvo xc60 with back pack and barrels when really up against it.  Keeps you ticking along. Luckily the garage I use will have you in and fixed within a day or two

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 06:56:54 pm »
I’ve worked out the back of my Volvo xc60 with back pack and barrels when really up against it.  Keeps you ticking along. Luckily the garage I use will have you in and fixed within a day or two

Have you got business use on it with your insurance? If not be careful

SB Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 07:19:52 pm »
If its a vivaro, trafic, or primastar hope it's not the injectors.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 10:30:53 pm »
Towbar on a car with a trailer system if it's short term.
It's a game of three halves!

james peters

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 07:46:47 am »
injector went on my connect lasty thursday.   had it fixed yesterday £379

Bungle

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 03:05:13 pm »

Would the dealership be H Sleeman?
We look at them, they look through them.

Splash & dash

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2023, 04:04:37 pm »

No

Bungle

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2023, 05:27:47 pm »

No

Gis a clue

Splash & dash

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2023, 05:36:06 pm »

No

Gis a clue

It’s an MAN dealership in Cornwall , no ware near you why the interest ?..

Bungle

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2023, 08:52:51 pm »

No

Gis a clue

Patrick Uren Commercials?

Splash & dash

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 09:01:57 pm »

No

Gis a clue

Your google skills are good 😂😂😂😂

Bungle

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2023, 09:55:58 am »

No

Gis a clue

I know. Am I right?

matty72

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2023, 02:40:41 pm »
I might need my starter motor replacing in my vivaro, nearlyn 600 quid, the garages are taking the mick a bit now, no matter what goes wrong it's always 500 plus quid

Splash & dash

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2023, 02:43:21 pm »

No

Gis a clue

I know. Am I right?

How many MAN dealer are in Cornwall?.

Bungle

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2023, 04:41:23 pm »

No

Gis a clue

I know. Am I right?

How many MAN dealer are in Cornwall?.

1? 🤷‍♂️

Splash & dash

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2023, 04:49:39 pm »
Surprised you are so interested in a garage so far away from you ? I can put in a good word with the owner if you are thinking of buying one , I know him very well 😂😂😂

Bungle

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2023, 05:57:28 pm »
Surprised you are so interested in a garage so far away from you ? I can put in a good word with the owner if you are thinking of buying one , I know him very well 😂😂😂

So you're not going to answer the question then? It's a simple one 👍

Splash & dash

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2023, 06:08:07 pm »

Are you going to answer my question about why you want to know so much about a garage so far away from you ??😂😂😂😂

Bungle

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2023, 07:28:13 pm »

Are you going to answer my question about why you want to know so much about a garage so far away from you ??😂😂😂😂

Just wondering if there is a garage in Cornwall that does servicing during the night 24/7. From my extensive Google searching I can't find one. If you could tell me who the garage is it would put my mind at rest. I don't think there is one but happy to be proved wrong 👍

Splash & dash

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2023, 09:56:00 pm »

Just wondering if there is a garage in Cornwall that does servicing during the night 24/7. From my extensive Google searching I can't find one. If you could tell me who the garage is it would put my mind at rest. I don't think there is one but happy to be proved wrong 👍

You are right with the only MAN dealer in Cornwall they service all our vans at night  all MAN service centres offer this service it’s part of there selling point , Patric Uren is a friend and customer 😂😂

Ggh

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2023, 07:00:31 am »
What are the Man vans like? Compared to transit?
From £350/day

Splash & dash

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2023, 08:39:39 am »

You cannot compare them totally different league I have had a couple of transits over the years good work horse  when new but build quality and reliability arnt good , MAN is basically a VW , just like driving a car . And price wise the MAN is very good value for money ours has every option except adaptive cruise control it has normal cruise control, and was cheaper than a transit custom , if you need a big van I don’t think you can do much better .

DJW

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2023, 09:01:54 am »
I think you have to call them ‘person’ vans these days. So my mate Sam said.

Ggh

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2023, 09:23:25 am »

You cannot compare them totally different league I have had a couple of transits over the years good work horse  when new but build quality and reliability arnt good , MAN is basically a VW , just like driving a car . And price wise the MAN is very good value for money ours has every option except adaptive cruise control it has normal cruise control, and was cheaper than a transit custom , if you need a big van I don’t think you can do much better .

No dpf issues then? What’s the payload like?
From £350/day

Splash & dash

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2023, 09:42:19 am »

No dpf issues then? What’s the payload like?

No issues at all so far mine is only two years old , don’t think it has a DPF as it’s euro 6 with add blue ?. Do they have a DPF?.
Payload isn’t great think it’s 1200kg but comparable to sprinters the best payload is the Renault master 1640kg but a horrible thing I have one of them as well .

Bungle

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2023, 10:07:14 am »

You are right with the only MAN dealer in Cornwall they service all our vans at night  all MAN service centres offer this service it’s part of there selling point , Patric Uren is a friend and customer 😂😂

I'll give him a call and see if he can fit my van in for a service on Sunday night 👍

Splash & dash

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2023, 04:13:16 pm »

I'll give him a call and see if he can fit my van in for a service on Sunday night 👍

Long way for you to travel

Smudger

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2023, 04:17:23 pm »
Be worth it to get that type of service through the night  ;D
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2023, 04:21:49 pm »

I think you will find all MAN commercial service centres are 24 hour that’s what it says in the service manual

Bungle

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2023, 07:10:23 pm »

I think you will find all MAN commercial service centres are 24 hour that’s what it says in the service manual

So they've serviced your van during the night and they're open 24/7?

Splash & dash

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2023, 07:27:42 pm »

So they've serviced your van during the night and they're open 24/7?

They offer servicing through the night as far as ime aware it’s 24-7 that’s what it says on the service book I have , they do our vans at night we drop them off around 17.30-18.00 and pick them up at 7.30-8.00 in the morning so no down time . Always have the needed parts  in stock .

KS Cleaning

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2023, 01:53:10 am »
I have a Ford approved truck tech company local to me who offer through the night servicing. I drop my van off after 5 in the evening for a service and pick it up at 8 in the morning😉

EandM

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2023, 01:40:40 pm »
I have a spare Ford Ranger as a contingency.

Total running costs including all tax and insurance works out to £10 a week + fuel.