8weekly

Two 4040s
« on: February 05, 2017, 06:16:30 pm »
I'm just wondering if anyone uses two and also when it becomes worthwhile. We're using 1,000 litres a day on 2.5 vehicles but we are paying £2.77+vat for water.

Also, pressure from tap is 80psi but stupidly I've been running a pump as well. I now think that may have killed my first membrane with pressure too high. It also meant waste to pure was around 6:1. I only checked it last week.

8weekly

Re: Two 4040s
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 06:18:08 pm »
Oh and does each RO have a pure outlet if you have two with the waste from one going straight into RO two?

Jamie Thomas

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 06:48:27 pm »
Would the  .5 of a vehicle only need a 20/20 or technical a 10/10 if they made one.

8weekly

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 06:52:36 pm »
Would the  .5 of a vehicle only need a 20/20 or technical a 10/10 if they made one.
Just a lazy operator - me.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 07:00:52 pm »
Oh and does each RO have a pure outlet if you have two with the waste from one going straight into RO two?
two  waste pipe,one from each one running as two units

Frankybadboy

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 07:02:35 pm »
pressure from the booster wouldnt have knackered the membrane unless it was 200psi + it was the fact you had the waste to pure set wrong 

8weekly

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 07:18:15 pm »
pressure from the booster wouldnt have knackered the membrane unless it was 200psi + it was the fact you had the waste to pure set wrong
It was over 100, but that's where the meter maxes out.

andyM

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 08:36:22 pm »
When you set up your 4040 if you use a stop watch and a measuring jug it will give you an accurate measurement of ratio.
Always start with your waste valve fully open and then close it further until you get your ratio (50/50, 60/40, 70/30 or whatever).
Then I just use the pressure gauge as a visual check.
My 4040 ratio is set for approximately 50/50 and it just so happens that it reads 100 psi on the pressure gauge at that ratio.
If the pressure gauge reading ever changes I know that the ratio needs re-checking.
One of the Plebs

8weekly

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 08:44:18 pm »
When you set up your 4040 if you use a stop watch and a measuring jug it will give you an accurate measurement of ratio.
Always start with your waste valve fully open and then close it further until you get your ratio (50/50, 60/40, 70/30 or whatever).
Then I just use the pressure gauge as a visual check.
My 4040 ratio is set for approximately 50/50 and it just so happens that it reads 100 psi on the pressure gauge at that ratio.
If the pressure gauge reading ever changes I know that the ratio needs re-checking.
Mine would be about 50:50 at 100 but I understood it should be 70:30 waste to pure. To be honest I wish it was preset like Pure Freedom's.

p1w1

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 09:18:08 pm »
You can buy pre set waste valves from gardiner.  I have the hard water one although I drilled it out an extra 1mm which gave me about 65 to 35 waste to pure.

Tosh

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 09:36:27 pm »
If you want a second 4040 Steve I've got one going.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Tony dunmall

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 11:44:28 pm »
We run two 40x40

Run waste into second membrane, so there's only one waste to adjust, membrane  in line keeps pressure more regulated

At 1000 litres a day I personally wouldn't bother with 2 membrains one membrane with booster will produce about 250-350 litres an hour
If possible Just have more tanks for storage so it's  starting with 2000 empty 1000 even if you come back 3 hours later still enough water

We supply 13 -14 vans we run 2 40x40 as you can squeeze the ratio of waste and gain a few extra litres a  minute we make about 450 an hour 

Waste ratio  is personal I keep 70 % but are happy to replace membrane once a year arriving at r/o at 003-005

50/50 is good for longevity, possibly higher rejection, but there's a sweet spot to aim for, you'll be able to here it whistle it will be where water waste  to tds is at it best ratio to kept pure,so so in other words you'll not get a lower tds but can reduce the waste,

That's what I aim for also balancing the cost of water rejection with resin cost is also something to consider

We use sometimes 40,000 litres a week so these so these small calculations down the line incurs cost

Hope that makes sense and is helpful

8weekly

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 07:43:01 am »
If you want a second 4040 Steve I've got one going.
Cheers Matt. I'm still undecided. I reckon much of the excess waste issue will be solved now I've removed the pump. I assumed the more pressure, the better.

8weekly

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 07:44:29 am »
We run two 40x40

Run waste into second membrane, so there's only one waste to adjust, membrane  in line keeps pressure more regulated

At 1000 litres a day I personally wouldn't bother with 2 membrains one membrane with booster will produce about 250-350 litres an hour
If possible Just have more tanks for storage so it's  starting with 2000 empty 1000 even if you come back 3 hours later still enough water

We supply 13 -14 vans we run 2 40x40 as you can squeeze the ratio of waste and gain a few extra litres a  minute we make about 450 an hour 

Waste ratio  is personal I keep 70 % but are happy to replace membrane once a year arriving at r/o at 003-005

50/50 is good for longevity, possibly higher rejection, but there's a sweet spot to aim for, you'll be able to here it whistle it will be where water waste  to tds is at it best ratio to kept pure,so so in other words you'll not get a lower tds but can reduce the waste,

That's what I aim for also balancing the cost of water rejection with resin cost is also something to consider

We use sometimes 40,000 litres a week so these so these small calculations down the line incurs cost

Yes, cheers. It's not production rate at all. I only use one tank but it fills in 3 hours, it's the waste that I was trying to reduce. I was told waste is reduced by half.

Dry Clean

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 08:19:04 am »
We run two 40x40

Yes, cheers. It's not production rate at all. I only use one tank but it fills in 3 hours, it's the waste that I was trying to reduce. I was told waste is reduced by half.

Not trying to be rude but there isn't much sense to Tony's set up, think about it, your removing the impurities which will be in  the waste water only to put them through a second membrane, so you now have the tap tds plus the impurities removed from the first membrane to remove in the second.
8 weekly with 80psi from your tap there's no reason why you cant be running your 4040 at 50/50 .

Tony dunmall

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 08:23:54 am »
Hi 8 weekly

What's your tds going in what's your tds out before the resin

Which membrane is it some are better for lower pressure i.e. The hf4 I think is better for pressure

You won't damage the membrane with pump and high pressure , only you can decide your waste by adjusting it manually

If your chucking 6 litres and keeping 1 litre I personally wouldn't do this as you say due to cost water these days I would adjust the waste to get it as low as  you can without affecting the tds before resin to much but there's an element of compromise to longevity of membrane, 

As your doing now will ensure membrain is in good health

In answer to your question waste isn't really reduced in the way you'd expect
With two membranes you retreive  more water as production is speed up but there's still waste

But if your making filling 1000 litres 3 hours
That's good
Unless your water flow is above average, most flow rates are 15 lit a minute your keeping about 350 discarding about 550. You've got your membrane performing really well

If you want to lower waste you may not have as a healthy membrane, which won't last as long

andyM

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 08:32:20 am »

If you want to lower waste you may not have as a healthy membrane, which won't last as long

Very true.
However I calculated that by being on a water meter i was better off running at 50/50 even if it meant a shorter membrane life as the cost of water with a higher waste ratio would gradually exceed the cost of a replacement membrane.
One of the Plebs

Dry Clean

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 08:39:28 am »

Very true.
However I calculated that by being on a water meter i was better off running at 50/50 even if it meant a shorter membrane life as the cost of water with a higher waste ratio would gradually exceed the cost of a replacement membrane.

A 4040 membrane is designed to run at around the 50/50 mark, if its lifespan is being shortened then its down to something else,
obviously if your tap tds is very high then you may not achieve a 50/50 ratio and still get the lowest possible pure tds.

Tony dunmall

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2017, 08:49:13 am »
Hi dry clean. Not rude at all

We all do things differently

It may not make sense but membrane are designed to cope with a much higher tds than we through at them, speak to June at gaps this is industry standard way to set up two membranes to maintain good flow rate with the pressure and flow  we have.
without building a lager holding  tanks to feed the  the booster pump , but you'll need a another pump to feed the booster pump

Splitting  the water feed to each membranes lowers the flow rate each membrane gets and can make them for prone to getting over dirty

As I'm limited for space , It's the compromise I need to keep up with water usage we have as one membrane only produces so much water two membranes will produce more

This way I get almost 500 litres an hour which means I keep up with demand from how much water we all use sometimes
3000 goes in morning 3000 in afternoon

Dry Clean

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 09:36:58 am »
Hi dry clean. Not rude at all

We all do things differently

It may not make sense but membrane are designed to cope with a much higher tds than we through at them, speak to June at gaps this is industry standard way to set up two membranes to maintain good flow rate with the pressure and flow  we have.
without building a lager holding  tanks to feed the  the booster pump , but you'll need a another pump to feed the booster pump

Splitting  the water feed to each membranes lowers the flow rate each membrane gets and can make them for prone to getting over dirty

As I'm limited for space , It's the compromise I need to keep up with water usage we have as one membrane only produces so much water two membranes will produce more

This way I get almost 500 litres an hour which means I keep up with demand from how much water we all use sometimes
3000 goes in morning 3000 in afternoon

I get what your saying now, membrane two controls the flow restriction for both membranes and evens out the pressure,
therefore both membranes are basically doing the same job.