vivaro 013

building a water fed pole systems
« on: April 21, 2006, 06:10:22 pm »
out all the budding window cleaners , im looking for some advice on water fed pole systems , for some time ive been looking at making up a WFP systems and are looking for advice on the following info

If i was to use a 1000 ltrs or a 500 ltrs IBc  for storage of water,  what type of pump would i need to pump water  75 mtrs of hose and a 30 foot pole any help would be appreciated

1, what is the best quality pole for doing windows,

2 , What the best value filtering system available

3 , What is best va;ue control systems available

4,  What does the resins do and how long does it last

5 , How many windows on average can i expect to do on a 500 or 1000 ltrs IBc

6, Any other infomation which you feel would be of intrest please
leave

Tim Morton

Re: building a water fed pole systems
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 06:39:05 pm »
Hi there,
1. That depends, I have a Universal 18ft pole from Chic cleaning ( the orange one) and I have a 30ft Professional pole from Gardiners.  They're both great, but your arms ache really bad if you use the 30ft for a long time, but the 18ft is great to use all day. I'd reccomend that you get 2 poles, i use the 30ft only about 3-4 days a month. You can reach anything that you would've done using a double 12ft ladder.

2. Again, that depends. If your tap-water tds ( total disolved solids ) is quite low, ie under 50, you can get away with just using a DI ( De-Ionising ) system, but if the  tds is higher it works out more economical to invest in a Ro system.

Then it depends on how much water you need per day, I've never used more than 400 liters in a day, but my brother has used more than 650 in a day. I have a 200 gallon per day Ro from Ro-Man, gives me about 420L in 14-15 hrs. My Brother has a 4040 ro and it can produce loads more.

3. Depends on what you call best value. If you mean the cheapest then just use a by-pass valve on your pump. If you want to maximise the charge/capacity of your battery and have a constant regulated and controlled flow then go for the varistream.

4. Di resin removes the final impurities from your filtered water and removes the ions too, it sorta polishes the water.
How long the resin lasts depends on the output tds of your Ro, the higher the tds the shorter the resin lasts.

5. It depends on how dirty the windows are, whether its the 1st time of wfp-ing, what your flow rate is. See part  B to answer to 2 above.

As to your using either a 1000Ibc or a 500L Ibc to transport your pure water, DONT DO IT, they are unbaffled and would be dangerous, get a proper baffled tank and secure it properly to your van/car/trailer.

6. Just read through the archives on this forum, you'll learn a tremendous amount from it, and most of your questions will have been discussed before.

And dont be shy to ask questions.

Hope this helps,

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 06:44:17 pm »
out all the budding window cleaners , im looking for some advice on water fed pole systems , for some time ive been looking at making up a WFP systems and are looking for advice on the following info

If i was to use a 1000 ltrs or a 500 ltrs IBc  for storage of water,  what type of pump would i need to pump water  75 mtrs of hose and a 30 foot pole any help would be appreciated

1, what is the best quality pole for doing windows,

2 , What the best value filtering system available

3 , What is best va;ue control systems available

4,  What does the resins do and how long does it last

5 , How many windows on average can i expect to do on a 500 or 1000 ltrs IBc

6, Any other infomation which you feel would be of intrest please
leave

I think most people manage with a 60 PSI pump for what you want to do but I've read that 100 PSI may be better if you are using a thinner microbore hose.

1)  Pole preference is a very individual thing.  My personal preference is for the ones that Omnipole sell and they should be even better when they start putting their new clamps on. Other people will swear by their favourites too.

2)  Depends.  You haven't filled in where you live on your profile.  If you live in a very soft water area, DI only may be better for you.  If you use an RO unit (for harder water areas) it may depend whether or not you are on a water meter as some ROs reject more waste water than others.  No easy answer to that one I guess.

3)  Sorry.  I don't understand the question.

4)  The resin gives the final polish (purification) to water that has been filtered through an RO unit.  In soft water areas, resin may be the only filtration you will need.  To calculate how long your resin will last, get the TDS reading of the water that is going through the resin and divide 500,000 by that number.  This will give you the number of litres of water that can be filtered by a 25 kilo bag of resin.

5)  Lots.
If I do top floor only on maintenance (not first) cleans, 500 litres can last me a few days.  However, if I have a load of mingy first cleans and do ground floor as well, I can use 500 litres (and more) in a day.

vivaro 013

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 10:31:53 pm »
i live in darlington area how can i tell if it hard or soft water

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 10:37:11 pm »
buy yourself a tds metre loads of them on ebay

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 11:36:52 pm »
i live in darlington area how can i tell if it hard or soft water
So far as I can see you are in a hard to very hard area so would need a ro and di filter

Sussex by the sea

vivaro 013

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 05:57:17 pm »
as im trying to build a diy water fed pole systems what can i expect to pay for
RO/ DI filter system + a 400 ltrs or a 500ltrs baffled tank and supplier names
any help would be appieciated

H h20

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 06:17:25 pm »
Hi have a look on here,it explains it all and they are very good priced and service,i have purchased from them and i`m very pleased,Gaz
http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/

vivaro 013

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 11:00:41 pm »
Can you please explain how the water fed systems works ie

You fill your baffled tank up in the morning before commencing work , does water pass through filters as you are cleaning windows

or do you have to fill tank night before and leave water to pass through filter and purified

any help would be appericated

Paul Coleman

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 12:11:53 am »
Can you please explain how the water fed systems works ie

You fill your baffled tank up in the morning before commencing work , does water pass through filters as you are cleaning windows

or do you have to fill tank night before and leave water to pass through filter and purified

any help would be appericated
Well both potentially.
When you pass water through an RO unit, you need to do it over a number of hours usually (it depends on the size of the RO).  It doesn't purify water as fast as you can use it.  You can filter the water from mains into a static tank and get a submersible pump that will fill your van tank quickly or you can filter it through an RO unit attached to a tank in the van.  The disadvantage of the latter is that it can tie your van up for long periods.
When using the water, it passes through a DI unit for its final bit of purifying.  This DOES produce pure water as fast as you can use it.  There are various possible permutations but the above are the most common.

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 08:12:38 am »
Try these sites........

The first one is Matts...........
How to do it right!

The second one is mine!!..............
How to bodge it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.d.co.uk/

http://mydiywfp.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/
Not Perfect - But Honest

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 12:29:03 am »
Hey Dave

Don't knock yourself? You did a good job I must say, and you did a very good job of the web site aswell.

WELL DONE

Jeff

holland1945

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 11:00:31 am »
Yeah, don't knock yourself Dave, that's a great site. I've been poring over the forums to get an idea of how to get started in WFP, but there's nothing better than actually seeing the process in action.

How do you get on with the backpack? I can;t decide whether to go for a backpack or a Trolley System like the Pure Freedom set-up.

Pippin

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 02:10:23 pm »
I live in darlington area have all you need and more .IF you would like help and advice lets get together

MNWC

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 08:51:45 pm »
Nice work fella  ;)

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 09:50:08 pm »
In my opinon then backpack is great.  See my reply in

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=19503.0

The trolly system in the web site is in the back of the garage and I can't see me using it again.

David Salkeld
Not Perfect - But Honest