hasti

Re: whats the going rate to pay staff
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 09:33:01 pm »

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 09:34:31 pm »
we have a pay scale...

min wage plus attendance bonus of £125/month for being on time and in work every day to start

min wage plus attendance bonus plus £100 bonus for hitting targets expected @ month 3

min wage plus attendance bonus of £150 plus £150 bonus for hitting targets expected @ month 6

they get bonuses for signing up new clients or getting jobs in for us

they are also paid to complete their work list and then they can leave.  so paid for 8 hr days, but regularly leave at 7 hrs (so in effect it's not min wage)

Pay scale is good because it gives them a feeling of progression and achievement as their value to me improve.  also, it encourages them to want to upskill fast, and makes them want to have their review at month 3 and month 6.

attendance bonus is great because they hate loosing it, especially toward the end of the month

bonuses are great because you can withdraw them at any point you wish, so if they leave without notice you can not pay their bonus, if they do misconduct you can not pay it, whatever, so it gives you some leverage against them.

my guys are all employed by me so that's a pretty good wage i reckon.  works out about £9/hr before they sign up anyone or get me new business
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

hasti

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 09:36:31 pm »
we have a pay scale...

min wage plus attendance bonus of £125/month for being on time and in work every day to start

min wage plus attendance bonus plus £100 bonus for hitting targets expected @ month 3

min wage plus attendance bonus of £150 plus £150 bonus for hitting targets expected @ month 6

they are also paid to complete their work list and then they can leave.  so paid for 8 hr days, but regularly leave at 7 hrs (so in effect it's not min wage)

Pay scale is good because it gives them a feeling of progression and achievement as their value to me improve.  also, it encourages them to want to upskill fast, and makes them want to have their review at month 3 and month 6.

attendance bonus is great because they hate loosing it, especially toward the end of the month

bonuses are great because you can withdraw them at any point you wish, so if they leave without notice you can not pay their bonus, if they do misconduct you can not pay it, whatever, so it gives you some leverage against them.

my guys are all employed by me so that's a pretty good wage i reckon.  works out about £9/hr before they sign up anyone or get me new business

Too much paper work i would say and a bit of headache  :)

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 09:42:08 pm »
we have a pay scale...

Too much paper work i would say and a bit of headache  :)

probably illegal not to tho
iSparkle Window Cleaning

Tom White

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 09:52:52 pm »

And possibly very expensive.  I clean a pub where the landlord paid cash in hand to an employee.  The employee was investigated and it all came out and the landlord was himself tax investigated (which opened a whole new can of worms) and not only that, the landlord had to pay the tax his employee should have paid.

It really messed with his head for some time.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 09:54:58 pm »

And possibly very expensive.  I clean a pub where the landlord paid cash in hand to an employee.  The employee was investigated and it all came out and the landlord was himself tax investigated (which opened a whole new can of worms) and not only that, the landlord had to pay the tax his employee should have paid.

It really messed with his head for some time.

Ouch!  :o
iSparkle Window Cleaning

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 11:15:00 pm »

Tom White

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 11:37:24 pm »
He works with me.

Thats well paid, so £10/h b4 tax & n/i ?

He pays his own tax.

Is that legal?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payerti/getting-started/paye-basics.htm#1

Yes, it's how the govt collects any taxes due from self-employed individuals.

If they are self employed, which if Darren is, that's fair enough.  If there's any grey area it could prove costly should something happen.

Status of Employment

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employment-status/#1

Tom White

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 11:40:01 pm »
Yes, it's how the govt collects any taxes due from self-employed individuals.

Also, read the post heading 'How to pay staff'.  Staff aren't usually self employed.  sub contractors are self employed, and the set up is totally different from being employed.

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 12:19:52 am »
There's a tool on the HMRC website that can help to define if an individual is self employed or not.

When Darren started working for me he was self employed, he had his own work, regular customers. He still sevices this work in his own time during the week. I do not supply him with all his work. He takes time off whenever he wants, at the drop of a hat, with no notice.  He does not get paid sick nor holiday. He rents all tools required to be able to carry out his work at his expense. Any complaints, he rectifies this in his own time.

My accountant has said a signed invoice from Darren is adequate. It is simply a business expense. I have also spoken to HMRC about it. They have said so long as he invoices me then it's a business expense and his tax is his responsibility.

Tom White

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 12:24:28 am »
You pay him an hourly rate, he doesn't risk his own money; and probably some other indicators that he's employed by you too, but it's okay, Matt, you don't have to justify anything to me.  

Attitude is also taken into consideration and you've posted how much you pay your contractor in a post that asks what the rate is for paying staff.

But read the link; it's the courts that decide this stuff should something happen; like he gets audited by the tax man or has an accident and goes to a no-win no-fee scumbag.

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 03:02:56 am »
I pay my employee 12 pounds an hour and he works hard so deserves a good wage. He is 42 so I would not dream of paying minimum wage. He also gets a bonus if we have a good month.

What do you pay yourself then pal?

£15 an hour?

Thats £27 per hour x 8 hours = £216 just in wages.

Add on all your other outgoings.

Now add on the money the business is making in profit.

You must earn a phat amount each day...

Certainly far more than you pay your slave that's for sure.  ::)roll

PurefectWindowCleaning

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 06:55:55 am »
I pay my employee 12 pounds an hour and he works hard so deserves a good wage. He is 42 so I would not dream of paying minimum wage. He also gets a bonus if we have a good month.

What do you pay yourself then pal?

£15 an hour?

Thats £27 per hour x 8 hours = £216 just in wages.

Add on all your other outgoings.

Now add on the money the business is making in profit.

You must earn a phat amount each day...

Certainly far more than you pay your slave that's for sure.  ::)roll

^^Who put 20p in this clown?^^

Paying my non driver £7 an hour is hardly slave labour is it.  ::)roll

There are loads of companys on this forum, in my area, and in the UK that pay £7 per hour.

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 09:17:49 am »
You have a valid point IMO. In a similar light so does my accountant and the advisor I spoke to at HMRC.

I would have always liked to have employed Darren on the cards, that way there can be no room for error or mis-interpretation. Im likely to give it some more thought as to whether I need to employ him that way or continue as we are.

martin hulstone

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2014, 04:21:41 pm »
I earn enough to pay those wages, im sure most people on here with a decent round can do the same, just depends how much profit you want for yourself!
Im also lucky that I live in dorset where window cleaning prices are quite high.

PoleKing

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2014, 05:19:57 pm »
You have a valid point IMO. In a similar light so does my accountant and the advisor I spoke to at HMRC.

I would have always liked to have employed Darren on the cards, that way there can be no room for error or mis-interpretation. Im likely to give it some more thought as to whether I need to employ him that way or continue as we are.

I had 18 months of doing what you're doing bud (I was the 'employee') 2 different sets of accountants were aware, as was HMRC.
The kicker, we were told, was that I HAD to have work of my own.
The hourly paid bit isn't important.
That was my experience.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

MATT BATEMAN (OWC)

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2014, 05:22:57 pm »
He does have work of his own.

PoleKing

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 05:30:41 pm »
Sorry, should've said, I realised you'd said he's got his own.
That's what I meant that you were doing the same as my old gaffer.
From what we found out, and he dug pretty deep, what you're doing is absolutely fine.
Unless the rules have changed.
Which I can't see why they would.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Dean Taberner

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2014, 07:49:38 pm »
Off subject,

Tosh, I'm in your club again, January with no booze for cancer research, not raised a penny yet but feeling great and dropped a stone in weight in 20 days, in fact I feel that good I can see a dry february on the cards.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk

Dean Taberner

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2014, 07:52:07 pm »
As for paying staff,

Window cleaning as an employed window cleaner is a dead end job, anybody who even considers it deserves to be sectioned under the mental health act. I'd prefer to stack shelves in Lidl than clean windows, especially for the minimum wage.
Operations manager at J.V Price Ltd

http://www.thepricegroup.co.uk