Londoner

Re: Recruiting Ex forces personal
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 10:23:57 pm »
http://www.army.mod.uk/soldier-magazine/soldier-magazine.aspx

Always job adverts , mostly security jobs on minimum wages

Tom White

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 10:31:40 pm »
Does anyone know if firefighters or other emergency services get the same benefits as the forces?

no firefighters dont get the same benefits. Depending on when a person joined the service depends on what pension scheme they are in. But the minimum is a 30 year pension scheme at the end of which the person usually retires so does not require re training.

You can get an imediate pension just after 22 years in the army.  You join at age 18 years old, serve until you're 40 - 22 years - you get a lump sum (depending on rank) of say £35,000 tax free, an immediate pension of about £400 per month (taxable); which increases when you're age 55.

You also get a very good resettlement package to retrain for a new occupation; though a lot of guys just go and get a bunch of driving licences (HGV 1, fork lift, Hazmat, etc).

One guy I knew went and got a civi pilots license; but he had to pay towards some of the cost himself.  Another, for a laugh (story; I don't know how true it is) got himself on a 'Circus Entertainer's Course' where he learnt how to eat fire, juggle, ride a unicycle and tightrope walk.

Londoner

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 10:45:01 pm »
A lot of guys are very unprepared for civilian life and if you treat them like poop shout and swear at them and tell them what to do every minute of the day they will actually like it and like you for doing it. This is not a joke by the way.
Ex soldiers are fish out of water and if you give them a secure environment to work in they will do well for you. Treat them like a civvy would expect to be treated and they overload on freedom.

Londoner

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 10:48:15 pm »
Does anyone know if firefighters or other emergency services get the same benefits as the forces?

no firefighters dont get the same benefits. Depending on when a person joined the service depends on what pension scheme they are in. But the minimum is a 30 year pension scheme at the end of which the person usually retires so does not require re training.

You can get an imediate pension just after 22 years in the army.  You join at age 18 years old, serve until you're 40 - 22 years - you get a lump sum (depending on rank) of say £35,000 tax free, an immediate pension of about £400 per month (taxable); which increases when you're age 55.

You also get a very good resettlement package to retrain for a new occupation; though a lot of guys just go and get a bunch of driving licences (HGV 1, fork lift, Hazmat, etc).

One guy I knew went and got a civi pilots license; but he had to pay towards some of the cost himself.  Another, for a laugh (story; I don't know how true it is) got himself on a 'Circus Entertainer's Course' where he learnt how to eat fire, juggle, ride a unicycle and tightrope walk.

I know an ex SAS WO who is now a childrens entertainer and making bundles of money.

Tom White

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 11:35:44 pm »
A lot of guys are very unprepared for civilian life and if you treat them like poop shout and swear at them and tell them what to do every minute of the day they will actually like it and like you for doing it. This is not a joke by the way.
Ex soldiers are fish out of water and if you give them a secure environment to work in they will do well for you. Treat them like a civvy would expect to be treated and they overload on freedom.

Even in the army you should never be treated like 'poop'.  Shouting is for parade grounds and battle fields too; not for general use.  And treat anyone like 'poop' and they won't thank you for it.

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 06:51:37 am »
Try www.civvyjobs.com

Follow them on Twitter @CivvyJobs

Great idea btw
Andy

Elfyn

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 07:02:06 am »

Very very true. I had massive problems adjusting to life as a civilian. Not because I was treated like poop though. People never appreciate how big a change it is.

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 03:24:14 pm »
I`m ex forces,i thought every time i finished work for the day or weekend(stood down) i had to go on a bender in order to reach an all new low! and hence became an unemployable alcoholic.

Elfyn

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 04:20:43 pm »
I didn't have any drink problems, but I've been married end divorced twice and, up to doing this job, didn't stay in a job for more than 4 years.

mickwc

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 10:36:30 pm »
A lot of ex-forces personnel are highly motivated and believe it or not quite intelligent really! Resettlement courses help the transition and I have a number of ex-army friends who are earning a hell of a lot of money in top level jobs with considerable responsibility. I'm quite sure ex-forces personnel could be relied upon to decide if they were interested in this sort of work and offer a lot of skills and benefits to an employer!

This is now Micks wife and I hardly ever look at these posts as Mick spends far too much of his time doing so, however I have to say I don't know how anyone has the nerve to even half moan at tax payers money going on courses to help these guys/girls adjust to life outside the forces - you should have a little more respect for what they do for not very good pay and clearly absolutely no thanks or gratitude from dick heads like some of the people on here. Ok, rant over, handing back to Mick.

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 06:15:32 am »
A lot of ex-forces personnel are highly motivated and believe it or not quite intelligent really! Resettlement courses help the transition and I have a number of ex-army friends who are earning a hell of a lot of money in top level jobs with considerable responsibility. I'm quite sure ex-forces personnel could be relied upon to decide if they were interested in this sort of work and offer a lot of skills and benefits to an employer!

This is now Micks wife and I hardly ever look at these posts as Mick spends far too much of his time doing so, however I have to say I don't know how anyone has the nerve to even half moan at tax payers money going on courses to help these guys/girls adjust to life outside the forces - you should have a little more respect for what they do for not very good pay and clearly absolutely no thanks or gratitude from dick heads like some of the people on here. Ok, rant over, handing back to Mick.

Why....are they so differant from other services that put their lives on the line.I for one have huge respect for firemen/women who put their lives on the line everytime they go to work,,,but they dont get any help apparently,so why should the armed forces be any differant than others????

mickwc

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 06:46:17 am »
I didn't say they should be any different but perhaps that is what needs to change - negativity and criticism towards ex-forces personnel just because they do get such assistance is simply indicative of an uneducated approach - if you have energy and time to spare criticising, then perhaps such energy and time would be better spent taking steps to promote the cause of the other services and try to initiate change for them.  Why take a benefit away from people that receive it and deserve it simply to "even up the score" - push for the same benefits to be offered to others instead.

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 07:20:18 am »
I didn't say they should be any different but perhaps that is what needs to change - negativity and criticism towards ex-forces personnel just because they do get such assistance is simply indicative of an uneducated approach - if you have energy and time to spare criticising, then perhaps such energy and time would be better spent taking steps to promote the cause of the other services and try to initiate change for them.  Why take a benefit away from people that receive it and deserve it simply to "even up the score" - push for the same benefits to be offered to others instead.

But as an uneducated being i have been constantly reminded of the woes of individuals in the past so many years of the hardship caused to them by having benefits reduced/taken away,of individuals who through no fault of their own have lost their jobs and cant get another let alone financial assistance to retrain.What makes you think that the forces should be removed from such austerity measures.Yes we all hear about those fighting are losing their jobs,along with many other thousands of individuals who recieve no assistance.It is not a matter of fighting for those to receive the same as the forces,it should be about the forces accepting what others have to...and if you were educated enough you would realise that benefits of this kind need to be cut for all if they have to be cut.

Tom White

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 01:31:51 pm »

Why....are they so differant from other services that put their lives on the line.I for one have huge respect for firemen/women who put their lives on the line everytime they go to work,,,but they dont get any help apparently,so why should the armed forces be any differant than others????

Firemen have quite a nice little cushy number.  I covered during the firestrikes in Paisley when they all went on strike on the back of 9/11 wanting more dosh.  You know, a basic fireman was wanting the same pay as an army Warrant Officer; that made me smile.  And it's no-where near as dangerous as being in Helmand either.  Just look at the statistics; it's VERY VERY rare a fireman gets killed doing his duty; very rare.

And neither are firemen living in the dirt, drinking hot water, hundreds of miles away from home - months on end - away from their children and loved ones.

There is also a Covenant between the Nation, the State and the Armed Forces. This covenant recognises the fact that the whole nation has a moral obligation towards members of the armed forces.  It exists to redress the disadvantages that those serving face in comparison to civilians; and for the sacrifices they make.  And very special treatment should be given to all those mentally and physically injured because of their duty.

You sound like a bitter little man, dw, sort it out, mate.

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 02:06:16 pm »
tosh mate not only is that well said i agree

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 02:16:47 pm »
here we go.
i never said that forces personnel dont deserve
to be rewarded for the job they do.it
is blatantly obvious that they should receive
a salary to recognise the work they do.
what dont understand is why they get
extras when they leave,the same as i dont
understand why bankers get bonuses
when they loose money,the same as i dont
understand why the police get bonuses.
they are all paid to do a job,and they chose
to do the job,so i just question why
anyone paid at the taxpayers expense
gets better benefits than others.
sorry if that offends all you ex-forces but
thats how i see it,so dont give me none of
that "you sound like a bitter man" crap
i just have a point of view that differs to you.
Ffs everytime someone dont agree with
others,especially certain individuals,on
here we are said to be "bitter","uneducated"
etc etc....
gotta laugh really as it is all behind a keyboard
i'll take my uneducated and bitter opinions
elsewhere now and let you all agree with
each other if thats how you want topics
to flow!

Tom White

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 02:30:51 pm »
dw, put your pet lip away!!

what dont understand is why they get
extras when they leave,the same as i dont
understand why bankers get bonuses
when they loose money,the same as i dont
understand why the police get bonuses.
they are all paid to do a job,and they chose
to do the job,so i just question why
anyone paid at the taxpayers expense
gets better benefits than others.

Look, in the army you get kicked out after 22 years, that means if you join at age 18 years old, when you reach 40 years old, you're out - no job.

And normally, due to all the different postings, not many soldiers have bought themselves a house; they have rented an army married quarter.  When you're away on tour, dodging bombs 'n' bullets, you don't want the hassle of tenants and broken boilers.

So, at age 40 you get a lump sum and a monthly pension.  Many soldiers will stick the lump sum down as a deposit on a house and the monthly pension will hopefully go some way to cover the mortgage remaining.

And since there's not a lot of call for many of the occupations in the armed services (infantry, armoured engineers, combat engineers, etc), the nation provides re-training so that ex-soldiers can provide for themselves and their family.  The longer you serve, the better your resettlement package.

And notice the word 'Service'; they do serve others, unlike bankers who only serve themselves - so it was uneducated to mention 'soldiers' and 'bankers' as if they're both conning the system.  You know, the guys currently doing security for the Olympics, I bet many of them were severely messed around because of that.  I've had to cancel holidays in the past, losing my deposits, because I had to go somewhere I didn't want to go; but the needs of the Nation over-rides the needs of the individual. 

I hope I've answered your questions and helped with your understanding.

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 02:56:27 pm »
Do they all get an "up their own arse" attitude as part of the resettlement package as well?
  ;D
Tosh you're right as usual....
Love Dan :-*

Tom White

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 03:00:03 pm »
Do they all get an "up their own arse" attitude as part of the resettlement package as well?
  ;D
Tosh you're right as usual....
Love Dan :-*

;D

You give in too easy!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 03:25:11 pm »
Hi

I am looking at taking on more staff who will be trained up to not only clean windows but also to run a business and if they fit the bill and they want it to offer them a franchise, if they just want a job then that is ok as well.

I think that someone from a ex forces career would be the ideal person male or female.

Is there anywhere that I can advertise for them, like a ex forces website or magazine etc?

Eeeeh Waaah! Eeeeh Waaah! (Screech of tyres heralding the arrival of the spelling and grammar police) ) If you advertise put "personnel" rather than "personal".
It's a game of three halves!