AdamSouth

varistream
« on: April 23, 2006, 01:33:07 am »
hi all

just set up my diy trolley, how can i tell if my varistream is working propley? turned off the flow and all the pipes went hard! is this normal. is does the pump make a different sound when the flow is turned off? don't wanta bunger up the pump.

thanks
Giving you a better view

Tim Morton

Re: varistream
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 09:31:11 am »
Hi Adam, when you turn off the flow on the pole the pump will keep on pumping for a little while and then it just stops. it'll give a little burst every now and again to keep the pressure up.
You know it's working because it controls the flow, turn it up and the flow increases, turn it down and the flow goes down. If that doesnt work in your varistream then it not working right.
The pump shouldnt make any sound when it stops.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

stoner

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 09:54:48 am »
be interested to hear any comments on  the effectiveness of the varistream ,as im in the  process of building my own system at the moment ,and debating wether to fit one or not?

Londoner

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 10:01:48 am »
Now I have one I couldn't live without it. The most important thing for me is being able to turn the flow right down to save water.

Tim Morton

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 02:37:24 pm »
The best thing for me about the varistream is that it saves your battery big time. I have a 22Ah deep discharge gel battery and i have worked from 8am to 4pm and still had plenty of charge left. That and the constant and easily settable flow rate, i'd thoroughly reccomend getting the varistream.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

AdamSouth

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 08:46:58 pm »
thanks tim

the flow bit works a treat but i'm just not sore the bit that stops the pump works. my pump still makes nosies after the flows been turned off. how long after the flows been turned off does the pump stop. i'm running though 15meters of hose
Giving you a better view

dai

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 09:07:34 pm »
www.williamsonpumps.co.uk
Check this site for all the info on the varistream. It does away with the need of a pressure switch on your pump, in fact it takes over from it, so you have to make sure you disconnect the pressure switch on the pump before fitting the Varistream.
It sends an electric pulse out every few seconds to check and compensate for any height you are working at. It senses any stop in flow and stops the pump accordingly. This dramatically prolongs both pump and battery life.
There is a little dial inside the Varistream box that allows you to set what pressure you want it to turn off the pump.
If you are using micro bore hose, you may find that you can't use the varistream on maximum flow. In practice it makes no difference as I never need the maximum, it would be throwing water jets 30 ft long, and that's with my 60psi Sureflow pump.
If you think about what's happening when you pump water at high pressure. It gushes down your hose, until it comes up against the restriction of connectors and jets. This causes a build up of pressure, that backs up until it reaches the pressure switch. The pump is then turned off, almost immediately it turns back on again as the pressure drops. This constant on off cycle will eventually burn out the pressure switch. The Varistream stops the pump electronically and prevents this happening.
 The pump does start when the electronic pulse hits it, you will here this even if the flow is turned off, this is perfectly normal as the chip inside the Varistream depends on the feedback it gets from the pump.Dai

AdamSouth

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 09:38:37 pm »
thanks dia

i've dissconected the presser switch so thats all good. turn the blue dial but if i get stuck i'll ring williamson
Giving you a better view