wightsurf

is it posible ???? !!!!
« on: April 22, 2006, 07:08:33 pm »
May be stupid idea but a bit tight thinking on the water at the mo  ???
Can i connect my run off from my ro/di to a seperate di vessel into another tank
so as no waste at all ? :P
If you now what i mean or is this a waste of time

just a idea 

Martin

Tim Morton

Re: is it posible ???? !!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 07:35:37 pm »
Hi Martin, I seem to recall this being discussed a while ago and i think the general opinion was that you'd use just as much resin as if you just ran all your water through just a di without a ro. The reason for this is that the tds going into your ro has to go somewhere.
If your tap tds was 200 and your ro gave you an output tds of 5, the waste water from the ro would have a tds of prob about 395, so then if you put that waste through a di vessel the di resin would have to remove all that tds from the waste. It works out that you may as well not bother with the ro, as the di resin is removing the same amount with as without the ro, if you understand what you i'm saying.

I think the short answer is that it doesnt save you anything, in fact it'll cost you a lot in resin.

The best idea is to have a good ro that removes the tds and doesnt have a large waste ratio, if you can get 1 to 1 waste to pure ratio or even better.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

matt

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 07:35:59 pm »
it would be rather pointless

you might aswell just connect the DI to your mains water, as you will just be "making pure" real dirty water from the RO

its not cost effective

wightsurf

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 07:47:28 pm »
i did think it might be as you both say, but the amount of wasre water it'sss a lot of waste !!!!!!! So what would the cost be do anyone know. Say for 100 Ltrs of waste water per a day what would it cost .
But by doing this would it not increase water out put,surely the di cost can't be that high can they

Martin

matt

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 08:31:15 pm »
water costs are VERY low compared to the cost of resin to make it "pure"

its summer now, use the waste to water your garden / flower pots :)

you can get a extra RO membrane to reduce the waste though

wightsurf

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 08:35:03 pm »
At the mo i have a 5 stage ro/di unit how much would a extra stage cost and how much would that reduce my runoff waste.(i'm on a water meter) the cost of water is not that hi but i do mean to get the waste down some how and tips and ideas on this would be helpfull.