dai

Guidance notes for window cleaning license
« on: April 21, 2006, 07:43:30 pm »
I thought that the following may be of interest. It's mostly gobbelegook to me. Dai     
GLASGOW CITY COUNCIL

TRADE OF WINDOW CLEANER GUIDANCE NOTES

Before lodging your application for a licence to carry on the trade of window cleaner please ensure that you have read the following guidance notes.

1.   You should note that a licence to carry on the trade of window cleaner is required when employing window
cleaner’s to clean windows on your behalf.

2.   Where the applicant is an individual natural person, the whole of question 1 should be completed, and    
   question 2 should be ignored.

3.   Where the applicant is a company, partnership or other non-natural person, the whole of question 2 should be    completed and question 1 should be ignored. 

4.   The lodging fees for applications are as follows: -
   Applications for licence valid for:   1 year   2 years   3 years
               £111   £201   £265
   NB:  These fees are payable when the application is lodged and are non-refundable.

5.   Whilst processing the application, the Licensing Section will consult with Strathclyde Police.

6.   Your attention is also drawn to the standard conditions attached to a licence to carry on the trade of window
cleaner which are as follows:-

(1)  The licenceholder shall not, without the consent of the licensing authority, supply any                          goods or services other than those specified in his/her application for his/her licence.
      (2)  The premises may be open for business on such days and during such hours as
             determined by the licensing authority.
      (3)  If during the currency of the licence, the holder is convicted of any offence, they shall,                          within 28 days, provide full details of such convictions, in writing, to the Licensing    Authority.

10.   The Licensing Committee may attach additional conditions to the licence as it sees fit, with each    application being dealt with on its own merits.

11.   If you are unclear about any of the above please do not hesitate to ask a member of the Licensing Section’s staff    for assistance or clarification.  Telephone No. 0141 287 5182.

Chief Executive’s Office
Licensing Section
Room 29 (ground floor)
235 George Street
Glasgow G1

Re: Guidance notes for window cleaning license
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 07:47:43 pm »
Dai, where did you get it from?

lippy

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 08:04:54 pm »
ive got 1 from south lanarkshire council,wich is just outside glasgow.As long as youve not got a bad criminal record you will getone,it is the same liscence as a taxi driver.

beefy

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 08:36:38 pm »
lippy im moving to ayrshire soon will i  definately need one, how bad do you mean by 'bad' record

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 08:41:15 pm »
Beefy - Anything worse than an overdue library book! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

lippy

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 09:18:50 pm »
beefy i take it all councils have the same guide lines when it comes to this,theft, violent asault might hinder your chances.
but first check you need 1 in that part of scotland. in all the years i have had a lisence i have never been asked to show it.but it kees you right,show it to your cutomers£££.

beefy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 09:57:30 pm »
ta mate!  best be getting down to that library then eh ;D damn that mispent youth :-[

lippy

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 10:06:33 pm »
youth is the word so it should be ok

mark dew

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 10:15:25 pm »

1.   You should note that a licence to carry on the trade of window cleaner is required when employing window
cleaner’s to clean windows on your behalf.

6.   Your attention is also drawn to the standard conditions attached to a licence to carry on the trade of window
cleaner which are as follows:-
      (1)  The licenceholder shall not, without the consent of the licensing authority, supply any                          goods or services other than those specified in his/her application for his/her licence.

Can the above points mean that they could stop you doing guttering or cleaning fascias, if they decided to?

Does the license mean that by law (although unenforced at the moment) WC can only clean windows and the frames around them?

I'm not against the idea of a license in principal but it seems like going back in time to where every little job had to be done by a particular person or trade only.
A bad move in my opinion.

beefy

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 11:17:22 pm »
wow that took some reading. twc but thanks anyway looks like im ok, but wait, theres may day coming up!!!!lol

JohnL

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 11:22:40 pm »
red tape and beurocracy going heywire

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

DASERVICES

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 11:40:03 pm »

All Council's should operate this way.

Protects the customers and stops the cowboys.

JohnL

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 12:08:52 am »
fine, - register, license, sign on as a pro WCer but cut out the accompanying red tape. ie it states you cannot work on days unless decided by the authority - thats crazy! soon it will decide what time you can start  and finish work and other such nonsense

red tape and nanny state controls are becoming a  pain in the b**t in this country!

:)

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 09:43:12 am »
fine, - register, license, sign on as a pro WCer but cut out the accompanying red tape. ie it states you cannot work on days unless decided by the authority - thats crazy! soon it will decide what time you can start  and finish work and other such nonsense

red tape and nanny state controls are becoming a  pain in the b**t in this country!

:)

JohnL

I agree that deciding what hours someone can work is crazy.  I'm sure we've all had jobs that can only be done out of hours for various reasons.  They'll probably have compulsory tachographs on WFP pumps next.

dai

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 08:27:13 pm »
Tosh, I googled window cleaning and found it about four pages in.
What the hells a natural person? It sounds a load of bo££ocks to me. I don't think I'm totally thick, but find parts of it incomprehensible. You need a science degree to do window cleaning these days, what with RO units, TDS readings, etc. Maybe we need a law degree too. Dai