Richy L

high windows -- which pole?
« on: April 19, 2006, 10:17:18 am »
I'm slowly converting to wfp, ive got a backpack which i place on a trolley. I have just been given the oppotunity to price a job that has 6 stories.

Would the backpack be able to pump the water that high?
And how long would the brush have to be to get that high?

Ian_Giles

Re: high windows -- which pole?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 11:02:28 am »
6 stroreys :o :o
That has to be about 60ft..or at the very least 50ft.
That is a big pole, others that work at that height will be better informed than me, but either a fibreglass or aluminium pole isn't going to be man enough...or at least I wouldn't think so.
I have the Unger poles and they will extend to 42 ft, and today I have one account (that I will do presently is the rain has eased) where I need all sections of the pole extended, I guess at full stretch on one or two windows I will be cleaning glass about 45-48ft up, and that is bloody hard work, at that height the pole will bend like a soft banana. :o

your packback will get the water up to that height, presumably you have either a 60psi or 100psi pump and whicher one you have it will pump the water as high as any van mount system, it is still a 12 volt battery powering the identical pump, so you will have no worries on that count.

But I really do hope you have jacked the price right up there, and I really do mean right up there.
If you are only charging, say, 75p for a downstairs window, for every floor you go up you should be charging a further 50-75p on top, so by the time you get to a 6th floor window you are charging as much as £4 or £5 per window.
It is a physical impossibility to clean these windows off a ladder, prior to WFP they would haveto have been cleaned off a platform of some description.

Also, at that height with WFP, each window will take you 3 or 4 times as long to clean.
you will be forced to work at a much slower rate, you level of control is markedly reduced.
And no way attempt to clean in it in anything other than ideal weather conditions either!
if the wind catches it, the pole will be gone :o
The poles that are designed to be used at that kind of height are very expensive too!!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 11:06:20 am »
Hi Leeksons.

I'm at home with a rotten bug  :'(

Dont think the backpack will cope with work that high coz the pump is only a 40PSI... or is it 45?  I forget.  I reckon you need to be looking at a pole around the 60ft mark for that work. Depends on the height between windows. Make that job a very good payer as well. You are going to need an expensive pole and probably a new trolley to do it. Have you thought about subbing it out if you get it?

Andrew

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 11:17:31 am »
Six storeys? firstly im not sure if any public liabilty insurance co will insure you to use poles over 5 storeys due to not having as much control as you would at a lower height.I use Tucker and the reasons being are that they do much bigger poles then you can get in the carbon fibre models.However a 45ft pole from tucker would be around £500 and then two 12 foot extensions to get upto the height you require would be another £200 so even before you clean the building your poles are going to cost around £700.So if you are going to price the job over this and make a wage at the end of the day then no problem.But you dont want to buy £700 worth of poles and then the job is only for £200......not unless its cleaned more than 4 times per annum.

Richy L

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 11:27:16 am »
right .. ok, cheers guys.

At the moment their window cleaners are using just ladders, so obviously not cleaning the higher levels. So anything above ladder height would be good.

I doubt it will be worth me buying into that type of pole. well for this type of job. It wouldnt be cost effective.

geoffreyspecht

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 11:48:44 am »
sounds like the h igher windows r being cleaned fom the inside

brett walker

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 12:42:56 pm »
Hi Easyclean windows

noticed you have the tucker pole has it got the new clamps on it?  most of my work is 3rd storey im either looking into getting a 30ft tucker pole or Ergo-lite 30ft glass fibre from ionics. so it covers 3 & 4 storeys

Any ideas on which pole would be best

thanks

Brett

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 02:16:43 pm »
Hi Brett i am going to convert all tree of my poles to have the new pennel clamps but i am told that all new ones coma as standard with them allready fitted.

I invested in  three 12 foot extensions for my 45foot tucker pole and on the first clean mad a loss as the extensions were £100 per extension but i have gained a lot more as i can clean upto 80 feet so it was well worth the investment.

Most of my commercila cleans are for a leeting company and i do a lot of three storey blocks of flats . Price wise they are from £100 per block upto £700 per block and all because i can reach all the skylights and upto the thrid floor

brett walker

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 02:36:32 pm »
thanks easyclean

been on the phone to tucker this morning been told the new pennel clamps wont be available on poles till the end of May, like at Windex really didnt find them very helpful but must say i do like their poles.

At the moment im looking at the Ergo-lite glass fibre pole from ionics

cheers

Brett

Mr. S

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 08:34:41 pm »
On the subject of high poles, attempted to get my 60ft pole up as a practice today without success! I did try up the side of a block of flats i do from the insides,

How do you lot do it????????

HELP!  mine is in 12ft sections but having trouble working out how best to get it to anywhere near the height. The solution probably is very simple!!!

steve k

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 08:56:37 pm »
lay it out on the ground extending to required length...put base at bottom of building you are cleaning and from the brush-head end, pick up pole, hold above head and start walking towards the building running the pole through your hands...never done it but sounds horrendously dangerous!!

Mr. S

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 09:56:29 pm »
Still cant see how its done that way, I tried laying it down with bottom end against a wall but no luck, maybe theres more of a knack?

One of you PROS please help.

If not ill try a new topic

Shine, glasgow!

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 11:00:47 pm »
lay it out on the ground extending to required length...put base at bottom of building you are cleaning and from the brush-head end, pick up pole, hold above head and start walking towards the building running the pole through your hands...never done it but sounds horrendously dangerous!!
i do it this way with 40 ft, no probs. quick too. its a bit disconcerting at first, but the nack is to confidently keep going until its vertical. be sure to have the base of the pole securely stuck into the bottom of the building or something else. i use whatevers available including trolley tyre, etc. also try attaching some rubber to the base of the pole, it will feel more secure. practice on an open site. i would like to have a go with a 60 ft to see how it handles. oh btw check for overhead wires and branches wont you! (tsto  ::))

Mr. S

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 11:12:24 pm »
Cheers Craig W. Ill see what weather is like tomorrow and give it another go. (Sounds like im trying to fly a kite),

Any other suggestions, ill b grateful.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 11:58:56 pm »
im no artist and this was quick please excuse

KJG

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 01:01:48 am »
Still cant see how its done that way, I tried laying it down with bottom end against a wall but no luck, maybe theres more of a knack?

One of you PROS please help.

If not ill try a new topic

Just keep your arms locked and let your legs take all the strain. As you get it nearly vertical, watch out for the pole flicking back in to shape from the big bend.

Mr. S

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 08:12:09 pm »
OK so i was too busy today to try again!

Hopefully try again tomorrow!

Cheers everyone!

Let u know how i get on!

Shine, glasgow!

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 10:57:01 am »
im no artist and this was quick please excuse

Easyclean, would you say it was the same technique with 2 legs?
Cheers