Mike Halliday

Winter slowdown
« on: February 03, 2020, 06:31:49 pm »
This used to be a big thing 10-15yrs ago, Jan, Feb... maybe early March. Business was slow,  we all booked a holiday somewhere hot.

But the last few years it’s slowed down slightly but nothing like it was years ago. I’m working as normal (maybe a slight drop) but still going steady all 3 of us.

How’s everyone else doing?
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Winter slowdown
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 07:53:20 pm »
Same scenario like you I remember a quieter January February but a far more hectic October November December (December being a shorter working month) customers at this time of year are better quality imo

Robin Ray

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 07:59:46 pm »
It was a quite a bit slower than normal the last month but it went mental this week. I have had 8 jobs booked in to quote, (i quote 99% of jobs in person) the only problem is some of them turn out to be a complete waste of time. I just looked at a end of tenancy clean , one bedroom, a lounge and a hall, It worked out at £160. The people told me they had had a quote to clean the carpets, oven and do a clean through the rest of the property and to do it all it was less than my quote just for the carpets! I really try to stay away from the lower end of the market, goodness knows how this guy manages to charge those prices and eat! I advised them to go with him.
I really wish we had gone on holiday in January, unfortunately we are booked for the end of March so will probibly be turning work away then.

homenclean

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 08:12:05 pm »
Certainly seen a drop in domestic work and one or 2 commercials reducing frequency due to slow trading.

We have a couple of restaurant chains we work for that seem to have cut back and new business from adverts is quieter but regular customers keep me ticking over.

One thing I have noticed is the new business enquiries seem to be bigger jobs, booked one today, 4 x 3 seater sofas which  will take around 4.5 hours.

Like to be done around 3.30pm this time of year don’t like trying to clean in failing light.

Wouldn’t like to be just starting out again though bet it’s tough.

John

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 07:37:01 am »
Same scenario like you I remember a quieter January February but a far more hectic October November December (December being a shorter working month) customers at this time of year are better quality imo

Yes the Xmas rush has altered as well, we now do a winter market every December, a few years ago I wouldn’t have taken the time off. This year we did Geneva & Montreux  for 5 days. The trip was purely business  as we took the opportunity to visit some very nice Oriental rug shops in Geneva  and it coincided with our Xmas party and work team building day ......so I will put it through my accounts😊
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

RPCCS

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 08:24:26 am »
No slowdown for me, not even started, windows very busy though, but don’t want it to be.
Cheers Rich

wayne zabel

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 05:41:44 pm »
Not really had a slowdown this year and last.

Im the usual "busy as I want to be" situation and I have actually turned around 4 jobs down this last week or so as I cant do them in the given timescales.

*Hector*

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 06:46:36 pm »
Not really had a slowdown this year and last.

Im the usual "busy as I want to be" situation and I have actually turned around 4 jobs down this last week or so as I cant do them in the given timescales.

I remember when you first came on here when you first started Wayne... You never thought you would get enough custom to sustain you and your family....

Good to see you have managed it...  ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

wayne zabel

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 07:52:07 pm »
Yes Hector I remember it well

In my tenth year now and I just keep ticking over nicely :)

derikraven

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 06:55:32 pm »
November to April is by far my busiest time. I'm run off my feet with  holiday accomodation. I've a large caravan site to service and lots of holiday homes to clean. All have to be done before the new season starts mid march/ april.