[GQC] Tim

Giving quotes over the telephone?
« on: June 21, 2006, 03:44:00 pm »
Hi guys,

Was just wondering if you can give me a couple of pointers in the right direction, because I'm planning my stuff and sorting everything out. and I know what to price when I visit the site, but no idea what to ask if they call me!

Or should I just make an appointment to give them a quote face to face and look at the house?

(Domestic Window Cleaning)

Many thanks,

Timber

Morph

Re: Giving quotes over the telephone?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 04:05:36 pm »
Don't quote over the phone.
You have to see the job first.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 04:21:30 pm »
yea, thought that already....cool :)

A friend of my parents wanted to get hers done, and the person gave her a quote over the phone for 10 pounds for a mobile home....which was too much in her eyes...came there, and I do it for 7.50, and I'm in NO way cutting down my prices...so I got the job when I start...excellent

I suppose you can't really say anything without seeing it..

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 04:24:15 pm »
Don't quote over the phone.
You have to see the job first.

I agree, but I bet we've all made the mistake of quoting over the phone; then turn up to find a mini-mansion with access issues everywhere.

Unless you're sure of the house because you know the area extremely well, I'd give a provisional quote and if they're happy with that, and I was satisfied when I turn up to clean; then everyone's a winner.

Obviously with larger properties; view them first; everytime.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 04:26:19 pm »
Man I love this forum  ;D

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 05:03:28 pm »
Man I love this forum  ;D

GQC,

I thought you were being sarcastic with that comment, but after reading your back posts; I genuinely believe you love this forum.

I love you too!

Good luck with the new venture.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 05:58:29 pm »
Thanks Tosh, yes ofcourse I ment it, man...every question I had (you know some of the little things that bug you) was answered in topics that I read.

Thanks for the comments, I'll let you guys know how I'll fare...

Already did my parents home, and man I love windowcleaning...I'm officially hooked  ;D

Trevor Knight

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 06:25:31 pm »
If I get a telephone enquiry I explain we will come and give a quote but also explain our minimum charge is £10 irrespective of how many windows they have. This weeds out the 1 up/1 down terraced houses.

I do this for 2 reasons.

1) the customer knows what to expect and realise I am not messing about.
2) I avoid wasting time driving to a house that is only worth charging £5- £9 for.

I know some of you will start saying you have lots of houses in this price bracket, and I am sure they are all good customers.

I made a vow 5 years ago having slogged it for 9 years that there are only so many hours in a working day and I wanted to maximise the return for those hours. I looked for new £10+ business and gradually increased my exisiting customers to this level or dropped them.

Now business is very good and has been ever since.

Best wishes,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 08:46:08 pm »
If I get a telephone enquiry I explain we will come and give a quote but also explain our minimum charge is £10 irrespective of how many windows they have. This weeds out the 1 up/1 down terraced houses.

I do this for 2 reasons.

1) the customer knows what to expect and realise I am not messing about.
2) I avoid wasting time driving to a house that is only worth charging £5- £9 for.

I know some of you will start saying you have lots of houses in this price bracket, and I am sure they are all good customers.

I made a vow 5 years ago having slogged it for 9 years that there are only so many hours in a working day and I wanted to maximise the return for those hours. I looked for new £10+ business and gradually increased my exisiting customers to this level or dropped them.

Now business is very good and has been ever since.

Best wishes,

Trev

I've had a number of telephone enquiries recently since my ad in Business pages.  It's surprising how many people expect a quote without me seeing the property.  I insist on seeing it before quoting.  The next bit that happens is that they try to discuss when I should come round to quote.  I then say that it doesn't matter if they are in as I can fill in a quotation form and put it through their letter box (I always say this now as it filters out the bad access jobs).  That's the point at which they often say that they will need to be there to let me around the back.  I then point out that if I can't get access to quote, then I can't get access to clean either.
I find this is a good way of filtering out jobs with poor access without wasting time going round there.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 11:37:39 pm »
I love this forum too! I love you Tosh! In fact I'm beginning to "well up" and come over all emotional.  :'( (Or is it the onions in my cheese sandwiches getting to me?)
It's a game of three halves!

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 08:31:44 am »

I've had a number of telephone enquiries recently since my ad in Business pages.  It's surprising how many people expect a quote without me seeing the property.  I insist on seeing it before quoting.  The next bit that happens is that they try to discuss when I should come round to quote.  I then say that it doesn't matter if they are in as I can fill in a quotation form and put it through their letter box (I always say this now as it filters out the bad access jobs).  That's the point at which they often say that they will need to be there to let me around the back.  I then point out that if I can't get access to quote, then I can't get access to clean either.
I find this is a good way of filtering out jobs with poor access without wasting time going round there.

wow, haha, I was just gonna ask how to plan your quotes....but the quotation form is excellent man! good tip there.

thanks!

Morph

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 08:40:02 am »
Wow man!  I didn't know anyone said "man" anymore!
Far out man!

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 09:07:29 am »
---> The Shiner <---

Could you please be so kind to show me how the quotation form looks like?

Far out man!

lol...I think it's because I'm not English.....

Radical Dude  ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 11:14:15 am »
Far out man!

You forgot the "cosmic and groovy"   ;D