easy clean

in line tds readings
« on: June 18, 2006, 07:11:59 pm »
i have an in line tds meter and a hand held meter. i could never be bothered to use the hand held and would always go by the readings on the in line meter. what a mistake!!!!! over the weekend i've been taking water samples and taking readings.
today the in line was showing 10 before di and 4 after. with the hand held it was changing between 9 and 10 before and 1 after.

it makes me wonder how much good resin i've been throwing away.

has anybody else found these probs with in line tds meters?

many thanks
jon

rugby

Re: in line tds readings
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 08:36:30 pm »
the inline tds meter on my ro and my hand held tds never give the same readings,if inline meter on the ro  is saying water is leaving at oo2 hand held will give reading of around 008,i tend to belive the hand held is a more reliable reading.

Tim Morton

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 09:25:22 pm »
The inline tds meter on my Ro will say that my output tds is 004 and when I check with my handheld it says 000. Either way I'm ok as my Ro never gives more than 006tds, and I have a 11L di vessel on my trailer which I dont think I'll have to change for well over a year!!!

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe!!
Craigavon, N.Ireland

JM123

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 09:14:10 pm »
most tds meters are factory calibrated, however they do need recalibrated from time to time, get yourself some ro solution, [url]www.tdsmeter.co.uk[url] and compare it to the solution.  Your manual should tell you how to recalibrate your tds meter.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 10:17:13 pm »
Depending on what type of in line TDS meter you have. If it is the type with the prongs you push into a connector then the little prongs should be in line with the water flow.  For an accurate reading the prongs must be in the right position.

Peter

welmac

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 11:29:41 pm »
out of most of the units i have seen, the inline tds monitor usually seems inacurate.

always go by a hand held one myself!

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 10:18:43 am »
I agree with Welmac.

My inline is redundant, always reads 002 above handheld and reads more after DI than before!!!!

The important thing is I have 600ltrs of 000 in the butts that I am using!

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

carl clearview

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 02:06:54 pm »
Jon,

After talking with the technicians at RO-man about this problem some time ago, they informed us that there were a number of different calibration scales when measuring TDS levels (about seven if I remember correctly). Each calibration is intended for specific uses.
The in line TDS meters that RO-man retail are designed to give accurate readings on water purification set ups that control water temperature as well as PSI and are not extremely accurate when the parameters of the input water change as in our industry. They are therefore best used as a general guide of when to check TDS levels with a hand held meter, which have a more universal calibration scale.

Best Regards
Carl.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 06:56:03 pm »
Always use a handheld.

Whats in the tank is what I am worried about, not along the way.

best wishes,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire