UK Floor Cleaning Forum > Carpet Cleaning Forum

HOT WATER EXTRACTION OR DRY CLEANING?

(1/5) > >>

stevegunn:
Which method of cleaning do most people use hwe or dry clean(Host,Envirodri)? Depending on the type of carpet personally i prefer the dry cleaning method as do most of my customers as most have had bad experiences in the past with hwe cleaners :-/

Dynafoam:
Steve,

Whilst there will be many who will argue with my oppinion, I consider the "Host"-type method to be suitable only for cosmetic cleaning - an alternative to bonnet buffing.

Whilst it is almost 'idiot-proof' in that it is hard to over-wet any carpet with damp, ground-up corn cobs, I would question the amount of soil removed and how much proteinous mater and detergent residue is left in the carpet.

Useing the correct HWE equipment and chemistry, a skilled opperator will not only remove more soil (and dust mites) from the carpet but also achieve near-comparable drying times.

As to the customer's pre-conceptions, brought about by previous experience of bad cleaning the answer is to put your name and reputation on the line - If you do not have the confidence to make a 'payment on satisfactory conclusion' deal how can the client have confidence in you?

Derek:
Well said John

The  Dry compound cleaning and Dry-Foam systems do have a place within the industry and sometimes can be the only method that you are able to use on a particular substrate.

The customer who has had a bad experience at some time has, more than likely, used the services of one of the 'splash and dash' operators offering a half price deal 'whilst in the area'

Regards
Derek

woodman:
Have to agree with Derek and Dynafoam,

I have had and used Host many times in the past and like many others it ended up being tucked away in some dark corner until I got round to selling it.

Take a look at the Dry Fusion if your going down this route I was most impressed.

As Derek says it's the 'In your area for two weeks merchants' who have caused us a lot of hag,you as a professional will convince your potential customers you are not one of those.

Ken Wainwright:
As a truly professional carpet cleaner, you will assess a carpet's cleaning needs on it's individual merits, and that of the location and environment too. For most, this will usually be HWE. But there will be occasions when a low moisture system will perform the best and also Dry Extraction has a valid place.

Whilst I broadly agree with John and others, my experiences of Dry Extraction have been that it performed better in the commercial environment rather than domestic, especially when used in the maintenance role rather than restoration. To clarify a point raised by John, these compounds are cellulosic or synthetic, not proteinous. Racine Industries have  carried out extensive research into dust mites and other allergens, and their tests suggested an almost total decimation of the dust mite population. However, like John and others, from this aspect I would prefer to use HWE as, if you dont remove all the little blighters, you would probably scald and drown them ;)

Safe and happy cleaning
Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version