wayne zabel

Musty smelling carpet
« on: February 02, 2011, 08:23:46 pm »
Had a call today from a guy whose mother is living a semi residential home and wants her carpet deep cleaned.

He says the carpet is cleaned by the staff at the home but is only ever cleaned using powder - I presume a form of dry cleaning system.

He says the carpet has a musty smell to it.

I had thought about treating with Clensan during the cleaning process.

Will this get rid of the "musty" smell,any other ideas in this smell

Thanks

wayne

richy27

Re: Musty smelling carpet
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:25:32 pm »
prob its pee and poo smell

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:36:17 pm »
Clensan and Crystal Green mixed together will give really good results.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:10:43 pm »
Don't promise anything until you've been there and had a look, ask plenty of questions, find out what they've been using so far.
You'll like this bit.....on your hands and knees and try and find the source of the problem. If you can find those lift the carpet to see if continued 'spillage' on the same area has gone past the carpet and possible underlay. If it's gone into the actual floor then carpet cleaning will be a waste of time.

clinton

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:32:06 pm »
wayne niels right id try n find the area that smells and i guess as he said it will be underlay and will prob be soaking wet if you lift the carpet mate.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:42:24 pm »
When i do the care homes wayne in the rooms as follows

1, black bin bag over the window block out the light
2, 18" uv blacklight on a hanging basket chain about 8" above the carpet any wee wee will show up and glow
3, soak area with prochen neutra soft dwell extract with water claw
the bupa care home i do supply me with the above chemical 8)

4, remember after the clean the added time for disinfecting your machine waste tank hoses ect
Remember if you use a aggitation machine, you will need to clean the brushes, if not the next customer will love you when there lounge smells like a cattery ;D
rubber gloves to, you wont catch me on my hands and knees

Also be very carefull with trailing leads, hoses ect they will trip over them :o signs out watch your back    
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

robert meldrum

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:39:32 am »
The powder referred to may have been an odour neutraliser rather than a cleaning compound

Jim_77

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:18:03 am »
might also have been shake n vac, to be honest!

expro

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 10:53:28 am »
Clensan and Crystal Green mixed together will give really good results.
[/quote

I THINK YOU WILL FIND THAT THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE USE OF CLENSAN HAVE NOW CHANGED.

"CLENSAN SHOULD NOT BE MIXED WITH OTHER DETERGENTS "
Expro

murky

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 07:13:46 pm »
Neighbour of mine has hubby with renal trouble.

While he was in a hospice for a week she asked me to clean his room down to clean and deodourise and clean carpet where he had 'accidents' and she had used 1001 and Febreeze to clean.

We used Microsan, washed all the cupboards etc with it then cleaned the carpets, as we came downstairs you could actually smell the difference in the air in the house. Absolutley brill stuff.

She was really impressed with the results.

Murky

greencleaning

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 02:10:11 pm »
If the area the carpet is in, has had significant water damage, finding the source of the mold and learning if it is still growing, is a crucial step to removing the bad smell.Then found some treatments for the said mold.

wayne zabel

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 03:43:52 pm »
Hi guys thanks for all the replies,I actually cleaned this carpet on Sunday.

Its funny how some people can smell things and others cant.It was in a large private care home,when I went in the room there was no apparent smell to the room at all - well I couldn't smell it.

There had been no problems with urine ect in the room according to client he just thought it smelt musty and wanted it deep cleaned for his mother whose room it is.

Gave it a good deep clean and was surpised at the amount of soiling that came out in the tank as the room was a good 25 metre walk from the main door and youd have thought any soils would have come out onto the approaching carpet.

Treated with Clensan ect and all seenmed happy.

Just hope I can get some more work there from this job