samson

Oil Pressure fault ?
« on: August 23, 2015, 08:20:39 pm »
Anyone know if the van is safe to drive to the mechanic, warning light says don't drive ?

samson

Re: Oil Pressure fault ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 08:23:51 pm »
Typical . . . . .  going on holiday, and have just a few days to complete some big jobs  ::)roll

samson

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 08:24:51 pm »
I allready drove it 10 miles, until I realised the xmas tree on the dashboard  ;D

Walter Mitty

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 08:31:45 pm »
I don't know the answer - sorry.
Oh gawd.  I hate these modern warning lights.  What's wrong with the old style stuff?
Presumably you checked oil level as a first resort?
Hopefully it's something as simple as a clogged filter.  Is a service (nearly) due?

benny donnelly

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 08:35:53 pm »

Have you checked the oil level? could simply need to be topped up

If the level is good then i would not recommend driving any further due to serious risk of engine damage

samson

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 08:38:07 pm »
I don't know the answer - sorry.
Oh gawd.  I hate these modern warning lights.  What's wrong with the old style stuff?
Presumably you checked oil level as a first resort?
Hopefully it's something as simple as a clogged filter.  Is a service (nearly) due?
I had half a litre, so stuck that in, the odd thing is even when the ignition is off the lights warning lights stay on  :o

martinw

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 08:39:56 pm »
A low oil level (check the dipstick), bad oil pump, or defective oil pressure sending unit, oil pressure gauge or warning light switch are possible causes.
Check oil first, then check for obvious leaks.

samson

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 08:43:29 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, might just play it safe and get the breakdown service to take it te  mechanic !

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 08:45:54 pm »
What to Do: Low Oil Pressure Warning Light

Whenever the oil pressure warning light comes on容ven intermittently用ull the vehicle over to a safe place and shut off the engine ASAP. An engine with low oil pressure can be ruined in a matter of seconds. If the vehicle has truly lost oil pressure, do not attempt to restart the engine. You can check the engine oil level, but it's best to have the vehicle towed to a qualified repair shop. Be sure the shop knows the oil pressure light came on so the technician can take the necessary precautions when diagnosing the problem.

samson

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 08:47:55 pm »

Whenever the oil pressure warning light comes on容ven intermittently用ull the vehicle over to a safe place and shut off the engine ASAP. An engine with low oil pressure can be ruined in a matter of seconds. If the vehicle has truly lost oil pressure, do not attempt to restart the engine. You can check the engine oil level, but it's best to have the vehicle towed to a qualified repair shop. Be sure the shop knows the oil pressure light came on so the technician can take the necessary precautions when diagnosing the problem.
Thanks old Smurf, do you think I might have damaged the engine by continuing to drive it for 10 miles ?

benny donnelly

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 08:58:10 pm »

Thanks old Smurf, do you think I might have damaged the engine by continuing to drive it for 10 miles ?

I think from the advise youve been given so far your more than qualified to answer that question now

the king

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 09:53:21 pm »
thurst things thurst what make and model vehicle is this  im asuming its deisel and french probly the 1.6hdi ???

samson

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 10:13:16 pm »
It's a Renault Trafic 2010, going to ring breakdown company at 6 in morning, and if they can't sort it they will take it to my mechanic.

samson

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 10:58:25 am »
Breakdown took it to mechanics, just phoned him and said he hadn't fully check it yet, but is looking  like electrical fault  8) 8) ;D ;D ;D

Walter Mitty

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 11:07:39 am »
Breakdown took it to mechanics, just phoned him and said he hadn't fully check it yet, but is looking  like electrical fault  8) 8) ;D ;D ;D

That's the problem with sensor switches - they need to be reliable.
Much better back when you were OK till the engine seized :)

samson

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 11:31:36 am »
Had a job to do this morning, and I phoned to explain the delay, and he told me to ignore the warnings as it would be ok . . . .told him I wasn't prepared to risk a 」5k engine rebuild for the sake of 」150  ::)roll

Walter Mitty

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 12:40:30 pm »
Had a job to do this morning, and I phoned to explain the delay, and he told me to ignore the warnings as it would be ok . . . .told him I wasn't prepared to risk a 」5k engine rebuild for the sake of 」150  ::)roll

It's astonishing how selfish some customers can be.

Smurf

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 01:54:23 pm »
I would have told that customer in a nice way 妬f that's your attitude go do one as I知 not desperate for your business anyway"  ;D

samson

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 06:09:43 pm »
All sorted, was just a sensor playing up  ::)roll

Smurf

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 08:41:41 pm »
All sorted, was just a sensor playing up  ::)roll

That's good news  ;)