TomCrowther

Retirement plans
« on: February 17, 2020, 09:03:10 am »
Who has one? I've started to think about it more recently but only have a very general "keep building steadily and go very part time at 60, having staff to carry on the good fight"
Need to pull my finger out.

NWH

Re: Retirement plans
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 10:23:08 am »
Retirement plans lol if you want a decent pension enough to be able to enjoy life go on holidays have a similar lifestyle but obviously not the same,you better think about how you might get 500000 in the pot lol.
Pensions are they worth it maybe if you work for a National like gas-N Power where it’s all part of there scheme,I know someone who used to work for Axa selling them his advise you wanna be sticking 1000 a month minimum into one for years if you’re looking to pack up work properly.

TomCrowther

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 10:38:06 am »
I know all about pension planning etc. Used to be s financial advisor before getting into IT.  Yes, you need a big pot to have a decent income but that’s not what I’m posting about. This is more making your business work for you when you no longer work in it.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 11:11:08 am »
I will be on the windows till I drop, clx4 and bungalows if my shoulders give up ;D

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 11:20:27 am »
ive no plans to retire ever....i already work part time at 48 and long may it continue....obviously im saving money for when im older so ill have a fair size nest egg when im 70......but ill work until i physically cant do the job anymore....

2 window cleaners i know are both in their 70s and both work part time and are doing great,one of them has been window cleaning since he was 18 and he s 75 now so 57 years window cleaning,looks really good for his age........ill only retire if im forced to due to ill health/injury.
price higher/work harder!

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 11:27:01 am »
houses been good for us very good seen some lift over 100k each we had 25 at our peak sold off a few and now rent mostly shops with flats above , and industrial units  which is must better , bought them back when you could get a borrow  anything as long as you throw down 5k deposit  and tell them any thing only wished we got more back in 2005

SB Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 12:44:48 pm »
ive no plans to retire ever....i already work part time at 48 and long may it continue....obviously im saving money for when im older so ill have a fair size nest egg when im 70......but ill work until i physically cant do the job anymore....

2 window cleaners i know are both in their 70s and both work part time and are doing great,one of them has been window cleaning since he was 18 and he s 75 now so 57 years window cleaning,looks really good for his age........ill only retire if im forced to due to ill health/injury.
That's the spirit Daz ;)

NWH

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 01:26:33 pm »
These days you need a lot more money to retire than a few years ago a lot more.

NWH

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 01:30:07 pm »
How would people have felt years ago when someone could have told them that yeah keep putting it away,in 30 years you’ll have enough each month to pay just about a 1/4 of your council tax  when you start getting paid out lol lol.

Dave Willis

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 01:40:50 pm »

Daz, did you bump your head as a child?
Maybe the garden swing was too close to the wall? Can you remember?

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 02:27:10 pm »
when I reached 65 my plan was to sell the business and retire, as the time was getting nearer I felt I did not want to sit around watching daytime TV like the Jeremy Kyle show LOL

when I reached 65 I sold off half of the round and I'm now continuing working the other half

by doing this I have enough to live on comfortably and finish by 1pm most days

I'm now almost 67 and still no plans to pack in yet, I guess I will be still working till I drop or can no longer lift a pole up

TomCrowther

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 02:49:16 pm »
I think if you genuinely enjoy the job and want to carry on then that's great. The main aspect I enjoy is being outside and I can do that without scrubbing windows. I have had workplace pensions in the past and one has a good amount of money in but not enough to retire on. Should have done what Susan did when I had the cash but hindsight and all that.

NWH

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 03:08:08 pm »
Not many window cleaners will be in a position to retire.

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 04:41:41 pm »

Daz, did you bump your head as a child?
Maybe the garden swing was too close to the wall? Can you remember?

retirement is for people who hate their jobs........my dads still working at 74...it keeps him going(despite him having lung cancer)......

in my family we were brought up to keep working........and thats the way i want it to be (health permitting of course)

Simon Trapani

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 05:08:16 pm »
Retirement's not for people who hate their jobs Dazmond ???  I'd retire tomorrow if I could afford to. I have plenty of other interests & hobbies.

I work to live, not live to work.

Scrimble

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 05:39:52 pm »
I bet more than 99 percent will retire into poverty

Stoots

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 05:47:02 pm »
Don't reckon I'll make it that far but if I do I'll just deal with whatever poop life throws at me.

deeege

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 05:53:47 pm »
Recently started looking and taking this a bit more seriously.

I’ve always been self employed so have never paid into a pension. Have just checked and I still have 21 years stamp to pay to qualify for full state pension. (Although that’s not much)

There’s going to be so many people of my generation retiring into poverty. Saying you’ll work in the window cleaning game to the age of 70+ is madness. They’ll be very few fit enough to realistically be able to do that, I doubt I’ll be one of them.

I’m on target to be free of a mortgage by 48-50 so that will give me plenty of options aswell.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 05:58:16 pm »
Retirement's not for people who hate their jobs Dazmond ???  I'd retire tomorrow if I could afford to. I have plenty of other interests & hobbies.

I work to live, not live to work.

for lots of people it is....they cant wait for retirement because they hate their jobs...some are forced into it due to ill health or injury.....i cant think of anything worse myself..i never want to retire from window cleaning completely......the beauty of working for yourself is you can cut down your hours to suit.... 8)

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 06:03:50 pm »
Recently started looking and taking this a bit more seriously.

I’ve always been self employed so have never paid into a pension. Have just checked and I still have 21 years stamp to pay to qualify for full state pension. (Although that’s not much)

There’s going to be so many people of my generation retiring into poverty. Saying you’ll work in the window cleaning game to the age of 70+ is madness. They’ll be very few fit enough to realistically be able to do that, I doubt I’ll be one of them.

I’m on target to be free of a mortgage by 48-50 so that will give me plenty of options aswell.

why?...lots of fit,healthy 70+year olds knocking about!you look after yourself dont you Danny?running?or whatever else you do.....

window cleaning is easy these days with all the great,light WFP equipment thats on the market......