marts - Martin Reed

advertising - what do you find best
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:27:58 pm »
what do you find is the best way to get more contracts?... i've used google, yell.com, telephone, cold-calling..

what do you find the most effective root?

BSF

Re: advertising - what do you find best
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:35:50 pm »
google adwords, without a doubt!
Regards

BSF

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 09:40:37 pm »
don't you find that expensive? i was on there for 4 months and had 1 enquiry and loads off people asking for jobs?

what success rate do u get? is that pay per click?

BSF

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 09:46:02 pm »
Yes Martino,

No its not expensive ;D

It's pay per click, I get a very good response off them, I run my own website so I can see what search terms are being entered into google, I've had alot of work from it, for a very small outlay... :o

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

*Chris Browne

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 09:50:35 pm »
don't you find that expensive? i was on there for 4 months and had 1 enquiry and loads off people asking for jobs?

Same as me, 3 months and nothing >:(

chris

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 10:03:26 pm »
Thanks Paul - but don't you get lots of job-seekers and timewasters, racking up the pounds as they click-away? Any recommendations on key-words to use to avoid that, and maximise on reaching the ideal target market? I've used all of the obvious key-words, but seem to still attract those looking for work! ::)

BSF

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 10:35:04 pm »
Thanks Paul - but don't you get lots of job-seekers and timewasters, racking up the pounds as they click-away? Any recommendations on key-words to use to avoid that, and maximise on reaching the ideal target market? I've used all of the obvious key-words, but seem to still attract those looking for work! ::)

Hi Martino,

I'm surprised cleaners go onto google to find work ::)

I spend approximately £15 per month on adwords, I usually receive about 3 enquiries per week from it, it has generated an average of £200 monthly, but off one enquiry it secured a job worth £20,000 per year which I have recently negotiated a 3 year contract.

Regards

Paul     
Regards

BSF

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 10:44:42 pm »
hi paul

i was trying to get on the 1st page - what page do u come up on normally?
whats ur website?

if u don't mind me asking

BSF

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 10:55:24 pm »
If I told you that I'd have to kill you  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I dont wanna do that :(

I'd get into trouble :-\
Regards

BSF

Eureka Ventures

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 05:27:25 pm »
Martino

Alas you're about a fortnight too late!

Karl of CMS would have generously answered your questions.

Apparently he has deleted his account and I haven't checked to see whether or not his posts are still accessible. If they are, you could do worse than read through them for some ideas.

Freddie
A consistently good service

BSF

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 08:52:35 pm »
hi paul

i was trying to get on the 1st page - what page do u come up on normally?
whats ur website?

if u don't mind me asking

Hi Martino,

As I said adwords is very good if you use it right, if you choose one of your keywords to be office cleaners, then that is a high cost per click to get you on to the first page, try choosing office cleaners
(your area) think what your customers would enter in to Google to find your services, this post by the way:

If I told you that I'd have to kill you ;D ;D ;D ;D

I dont wanna do that :(

I'd get into trouble :-\

was my sense of humour coming out, I choose not to advertise my company on this forum for various reasons, I do get a first page listing on various key words, like I said it does work for me.

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

Prestige1

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 09:37:40 pm »
Paul
How much have you set for the peramiters ie £5 per day how much per click? regards Phil
Who Dares Wins

BSF

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 10:04:25 pm »
Hi Phil,

My current budget is £2.50 per day, my max cost per click is currently set at 50p although I change this quite often, sometimes to as low as 5p, as other companys also change their bids to suit, most of the work I get from google is one off cleans (end of tenancy, new builds, spring cleans) I am in the process of having another web site done for me, to appeal to larger customers, I have learnt to write html and built my own web site but i'm no designer, its ok but not as professional as I would like it to be, as I stated before the average I pay is £15 per month, compared to yell.com (about £33 per month) its very good value, one thing to note is that other cleaning companys will click on your sponsored link and use up your budget for the day, then your not listed, it does happen.
I do have a first page listing on google (not sponsored) for certain search words, google is the hardest search engine in my opinion to get listed for free on, it can take up to 3 months after submission.

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

Prestige1

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 10:38:54 pm »
I have listed today set it at £5 per day and upto 50p per click, looks good to me, I have come out of yellow pages this year to try and save some dosh, never seamed to get a return, have various other ways but this sounds ok, thanks for your advice and info. kind regards Phil
Who Dares Wins

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 09:19:37 am »
prestige1

be careful though, i was getting £400 per month bills doing that, and no return... just keep an eye on it

Prestige1

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 02:00:34 pm »
Thanks I will.
Who Dares Wins

BSF

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 05:55:19 pm »
Why has Martino deleted his account????
prestige1

be careful though, i was getting £400 per month bills doing that, and no return... just keep an eye on it

That go's without saying! it helps if you have access to your site stats, you can view how many clicks your getting from google and the search term/s entered.

You do have to keep an eye on it and lower/raise your budget to suit, I check most days and amend my bids/budget.

Regards

Paul ;D
Regards

BSF

BSF

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 05:59:17 pm »
Martino, when I posted that last one, you were listed as a guest!

Now your back to normal!

regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

Tim Downer

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 06:01:14 pm »
I noticed that too  :o  :o

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 07:57:35 pm »
i haven't deleted my account  ??? ??? ???

Tim Downer

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 08:00:51 pm »
Hi Martin

Something went weird......i signed on and you were down as a guest with pictures, details etc removed......and then you came back as before   ???

Never mind.....everything back to normal now. Welcome Back.....again.

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 08:07:44 pm »
Martino, did you log out?

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 08:20:39 pm »
no i don't think so.... never mind..... so r u guys working??????????

Tim Downer

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 08:25:50 pm »
Yep

Am in the office now catching up  ???  ???  ??? and when i have caught up, will take tomorrow morning off.....then have to catch up again  8)

Another hours work then i can go home. You sitting at home Martin having a whisky??

;D  ;D  ;D
Tim Downer
Manager

Tim Downer

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 09:16:56 pm »
Going home now.

Talking of Whisky, i have just enjoyed a small dram of Japanese single malt  ::) Mmmmmm and very nice too  :P

See you later

Tim  8)
Tim Downer
Manager

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 09:06:04 am »
japanese whisky.... whats dbd coming to?.... tell Mike Taylor to sort it out..... hey, i've got some isle of iona whiskey, try and find that  ;) ;) ;D

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 04:19:31 pm »
hey, i've got some isle of iona whiskey, try and find that  ;) ;) ;D

Have you tried Isle of Islay whisky? I love the stuff.

One of my customers lives 1/4 mile from the distillery and I have been hinting for months......... no luck so far :'(

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 04:25:36 pm »
yeah, i collect them andrew.... i've been to islay twice now... 8 distillerys on one island... paradise

Tim Downer

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 05:01:38 pm »
Mmmmmmm we have currently 17 different bottles of single malt in the drinks cupboard.....where we spend a moment or two having the odd dram on a friday evening........thats paradise
Tim Downer
Manager

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 05:24:38 pm »
tim

if u had some girlies in maids outfits serving u the 17 single malts... thats paradise

the red carpet

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2006, 05:25:55 pm »
my adwords campaign has been going for about 2 weeks and has cost me just over £30
but its brought in 5 jobs worth £610 :)

clifford

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2006, 05:57:57 pm »
hi

i much prefer a nice cold pint of carling extra cold on a friday after work!thing is work sometimes doesnt finish till10.30pm :-[

Prestige1

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2006, 07:34:47 pm »
Red Carpet what peramiters have you set your ad campaign? how much max a day and how much per click? kind regards Phil
Who Dares Wins

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2006, 07:45:15 pm »
Phil,

To my understanding of how AdWords works it is your monthly budget that counts, not the daily budget. 

For example if your daily budget is £1-00 then your monthly budget is £30-00.  If you did not have any clicks for 15 days your budget increases accordingly to you monthly budget.

Regards,

Arthur

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2006, 08:00:06 pm »
am i right in saying that the adwords is for more domestic and carpet cleaning... i'm into contract cleaning, office blocks and residetial common areas ect... anyone had positives with that on google?

marts

p.s. a pint on friday night sounds great  :D :D

BSF

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2006, 08:18:01 pm »
Phil,

To my understanding of how AdWords works it is your monthly budget that counts, not the daily budget. 

For example if your daily budget is £1-00 then your monthly budget is £30-00.  If you did not have any clicks for 15 days your budget increases accordingly to you monthly budget.

Regards,

Arthur

Arthur, its a daily budget, this can be changed whenever you want, if you dont get any clicks you dont pay anything.

Regards

Paul

am i right in saying that the adwords is for more domestic and carpet cleaning... i'm into contract cleaning, office blocks and residetial common areas ect... anyone had positives with that on google?

marts

p.s. a pint on friday night sounds great :D :D

Martino? Martin?

Yes your right in most cases the work I have had off Google is private clients wanting cleaning services,  but as I said I have had a 20k commercial contract from it, also a fair number of smaller ones, it all depends on how much you set your cost per click at, but if youve paid out £400 per month in the past, you must have had some profitable work from it.

If not youve gone wrong somewhere along the line ;D

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2006, 08:27:47 pm »
i had one job to price up in london, which was small..... and that was it..

i find mailshots and phoning people more effective.... just priced a job for 62k a year and in the process of pricing a 200k a year contract... all through phoneing and information from existin contacts..

i've developed a huge database of facilities managers and company names, addresses ect... this is what works for me at the price of a stamp and a phone call.... i knocked google on the head but am with yell.com

marts

D woods

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2006, 08:30:48 pm »
Hi Martin
Did you buy your database or did you make it yourself ?

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2006, 08:41:31 pm »
made it myself over the years..... have u got one?

do u advertise?

D woods

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2006, 08:58:40 pm »
Hi Martin
We market our company very aggressively, we spend on yell.com
yellow pages, mailshots and tellysales.

We have a database of 2000 names that we have built up over the years.

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2006, 09:04:00 pm »
u do abseiling......... will keep you in mind.... am always being asked that with the bigger office blocks in london

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2006, 09:15:58 pm »
Phil,

Regards,

Arthur

Arthur, its a daily budget, this can be changed whenever you want, if you dont get any clicks you dont pay anything.

Regards

Paul

Paul,

What I meant was that your unused daily budget rolls over onto another day and number of hits that you may get one day would be greater than your daily budget, but within your monthly budget.

Does it make sense?

Regards,

Arthur

BSF

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2006, 09:27:23 pm »
Arthur,

It's a daily budget :'( :'( :'( :'(

Once your daily budget has been used you wouldnt be listed until the next day, unless you increased it.

Regards ;D

Paul
Regards

BSF

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2006, 09:35:19 pm »
Arthur,

It's a daily budget :'( :'( :'( :'(

Once your daily budget has been used you wouldnt be listed until the next day, unless you increased it.

Regards ;D

Paul

I know why you are crying Paul  ;D ;D

This is what AdWords say about daily budget:

Daily Budget

The amount you are willing to spend on a specific AdWords campaign each day.

AdWords displays your ad as often as possible while staying within your daily budget. When the budget limit is reached, your ads will typically stop showing for that day.

However, on any single day, the AdWords system may deliver up to 20% more ads than your daily budget calls for. This helps make up for other days in which your daily budget is not reached. However, you will never be charged more than your average daily budget over the course of a month. For example: if your daily budget is $10 and the month has 30 days, you might be charged up to $12 on any single day but your monthly charges will never exceed $300.

Paul,

What I meant was that your unused daily budget rolls over onto another day and number of hits that you may get one day would be greater than your daily budget, but within your monthly budget.

Does it make sense?

Regards,

Arthur

;)

BSF

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2006, 09:52:21 pm »
Whats your point Arthur ??? I know how it works..

As I have said in my opinion Google adwords is very good value, if you know how to use it, I am the webmaster for my site and see how many click through's I get from other sites, Yell.com: the least for £33.00, Google: the most for around £15.00,

:D

regards

Paul 
Regards

BSF

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2006, 09:55:55 pm »

My point is:

..your unused daily budget rolls over onto another day and number of hits that you may get one day would be greater than your daily budget, but within your monthly budget...

;)

BSF

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2006, 10:06:17 pm »
Arthur, please read the terms from Google carefully, I fully understand what it means, if you dont get clicks you dont pay, they say (may deliver 20% more)

If you kept your daily budget the same £10 and your budget was used they may let more through and it could be £12, my daily budget is usually £2.50 over 30 days, I've never been billed more than £15 per month in two years of using adwords.

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

BSF

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2006, 11:39:54 pm »

My point is:

..your unused daily budget rolls over onto another day and number of hits that you may get one day would be greater than your daily budget, but within your monthly budget...

;)

Arthur, please read the terms from Google carefully, I fully understand what it means, if you dont get clicks you dont pay, they say (may deliver 20% more)

If you kept your daily budget the same £10 and your budget was used they may let more through and it could be £12, my daily budget is usually £2.50 over 30 days, I've never been billed more than £15 per month in two years of using adwords.

Regards

Paul

Never mind ::)

Dont mention it... I'll try and explain it in more simple terms if you want me to.

Glad to help ;D

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2006, 11:43:47 pm »
Paul, do always try to have a last word ;D ;D ;D

BSF

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2006, 11:52:01 pm »
Yes, just admit your wrong and I'll keep you on my xmas card list ;D

Paul, do always try to have a last word ;D ;D ;D

Now you sound like my wife :o

Kindest Regards

Paul ;D
Regards

BSF

marts - Martin Reed

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2006, 07:09:05 am »
does it mater how adwords works... think we all know as most off us have done it.... we just wanted to know if u found it an effective method of advertising...

paul, it works for u which i'm pleased about but did'nt for me... as i said maybe good for domestic or carpet cleaning but not for commercial contracts

marts

BSF

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2006, 07:45:19 pm »
does it mater how adwords works... think we all know as most off us have done it.... we just wanted to know if u found it an effective method of advertising...

paul, it works for u which i'm pleased about but did'nt for me... as i said maybe good for domestic or carpet cleaning but not for commercial contracts

marts

If you know how it works what did you post the following for?

I answered your question, yes it is pay per click.

prestige1

If I spent £400 in a month I would be first page (sponsored link) on google for office cleaners, cleaning services, cleaners, commercial cleaners, contract cleaners, cleaning supplies, the list goes on!

You must understand that just because your website is listed first on google, doesn’t mean you will get work from it, if some one enters a search term in a search engine, then ends up on your web site but doesn’t like what they see, you won’t get an enquiry.

The easy bit is getting the first page place, the hard bit is getting the customer to like what they see.

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2006, 08:11:42 pm »
Paul, you changed your name.    I have also changed my name but not much, yours new name is completely different from the old.  What does your new name mean?
Regards,
Arthur

BSF

« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2006, 08:24:06 pm »
Hi Arthur,

I thought you'd fell out with me! I've still got your xmas card ready and waiting, I just thought I'd have a change of name, you will find out in time what it means, do you like my challenger pic?

Regards

Paul

Regards

BSF

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2006, 08:30:56 pm »
I got somewhere 20 years old photo of me sitting in the tank, that was real... 8)
What does your tank mean?  ;D Have you seen one?  ;D

BSF

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2006, 08:34:18 pm »
Have I ever, now your talking!

I used to be a tank crewman, along time ago ;D
Regards

BSF

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2006, 08:43:27 pm »
You are kidding!!!

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2006, 08:53:28 pm »
Paul,

Who are you going to shoot at? ;D ;D

I should not have mentioned my photos, cannot find them...  How sad, but never mind... ;D

Regards

Arthur

BSF

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2006, 08:54:10 pm »
No Arthur I'm not kidding, I was a Trooper in the 16th, 5th Queens Royal Lancers, I was a gunner radio operator, I was on a Scorpion CVRT not the Challenger (as pic) as my regiment was recce, not mbt.

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2006, 09:02:06 pm »
WOW!!!

I was a solder too... long time ago in the end of 80, for two loooong years...  ;)

Regards

Arthur

BSF

« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2006, 09:08:49 pm »
Paul,

Who are you going to shoot at? ;D ;D

I should not have mentioned my photos, cannot find them...  How sad, but never mind... ;D

Regards

Arthur

Thought you were, youve got that Soldier (not solder) look about you!

Ive got loads of photos somewhere, but I'd have to scan them, as that wasnt the age of the digital camera, you would have done the national service, what country are you from? Poland?

Was it a tank regiment you served in?

Regards

Paul
Regards

BSF

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2006, 09:22:39 pm »
I was a private in the Russian Army, it was Soviet Union those days...  I am from Lithuania... in our country joining the army is compulsory...

Nice talking to you, have to go.

Kind regards,
Arthur

BSF

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2006, 09:35:01 pm »
I've seen a few T'62's in my time Arthur, sorry I thought you were Polish!

All the best

Paul
Regards

BSF

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2006, 10:10:39 pm »
Paul, it is complicated:

I was born in Ukraine
My native language is Russian
My nationality is Polish
I am (yet) Lithuanian citizen
I live in the UK, in Newcastle upon Tyne and soon I will be a Geordie just need to have few more lessons from the locals ;D

Kind regards,
Arthur

BSF

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2006, 10:36:53 pm »
That is complicated ???

Paul  ;D
Regards

BSF