Small but perfectley formed

HMRC scam calls
« on: March 06, 2019, 05:10:58 pm »
New scam calling saying you are under tax fraud investigation please press 1 to be connected to investigating officer.  This is the number  03002003599
Spit and polish

Stoots

Re: HMRC scam calls
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 06:18:18 pm »
I nearly fell for this a few weeks ago, they spoof the HRMC number so they had me going for a minute, poopting myself.

The guy said a warrant is out for my arrest lol but then said if you pay now via bank transfer the arrest warrant will be cancelled.

ok so if i bank transfer you money the whole thing goes away ?

yes thats right....

umm that doesnt sound like how the law works mate nice try though

simon w

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 06:20:23 pm »
Did the guy have a liverpudlian accent??

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 07:03:04 pm »
They called me late last year early one Sunday so little bit sleepy eyed

And I thanks them so much for being so understanding and was more than happy to provide my account details so that can debit my account for any outstanding amount, how that works I’m not sure

And then I gave them the bank details of the HMRC that I use for paying any money into, they thanked me gave me a  stern warning

Few days later I got this really abusive phone call, calling me names I hadn’t heard in many years  I guess they tried to debit the account

G Griffin

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 07:57:17 pm »
It might be worth paying if it's less than what you actually owe  ;).
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Stoots

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 10:41:37 pm »

No Asian, which made it more convincing

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 07:43:03 am »

No Asian, which made it more convincing

I have had quite a few calls lately trying to get personal information from me to update a web listing or something similar like buy a service over the phone from them all with Indian accents.

The other week I had my hands free headphones on and answered a call quickly it caught the caller off guard and he spoke in an English accent.He then realised he had not turned on the voice changer on and pressed something to change it to an Indian accent.

It's the latest scam as it makes you think they are calling from a call centre in India.
The fake Indian calls will nearly always be slow and robotic sounding.

John the scouser has realised he needs to up his game as he is to well known now.

Spotfree

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 09:46:04 am »
I love these call's, I play around with them for around 10-15 minutes pretending I can't understand them and asking daft questions.

If they repeat call me I will answer the phone without saying anything, usually puts them off after a while.

NWH

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 10:16:12 am »
Pay now and you won’t be arrested 😂 he’d have got a word from me ending in off m8,helllo sir I’m calling from you’re baaaaaaannnk lol.

Forum Admin

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 10:35:21 am »
Yes we have had some fun with these calls before.....HMRC would never ring and tell you this information and demand payment in this way it's just ludicrous but unfortunately you do get the odd one who gets scammed.

The last one I had I said "Sure let me just get my payment details, so what does HMRC stand for anyway?" he said erm I'm not sure actually. "Ok many thanks for your call today...Goodbye"

NWH

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 02:49:20 pm »
I love getting these calls I keep el on the phone for ages I say I’m just off to get bank details etc,then I go and make a drink come back then similar again.
The best way to get rid of em is to do a very good impression of Daniel day Lewis in my left foot,works every time for em putting the phone straight down 😂

Bungle

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 03:33:48 pm »
I had an Asian bird trying to flog me something over the phone a while back. I started to fake that I was having a seizure. She kept on asking if I was alright and I kept on breathing heavy down the phone 😃
We look at them, they look through them.