gewindows

I am seriously tempted to go for this
« on: January 03, 2010, 08:55:52 pm »
What do you guys reckon?

http://shop.aquakoiaquatics.com/ekmps/shops/aquakoigroup/images/prolinepluggo.jpg

£155.00 for a 3KW submersible heater.

I'd imagine that thing could easily heat tank water to 55C overnight, boiling probably.

rg1

Re: I am seriously tempted to go for this
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:07:39 pm »
Matt..I would also imagine it will use a lot of electricity at 3kw.
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

gewindows

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 09:09:07 pm »
Yea it will, probably lob the thing in the tank when I get up and it'll be heated by breakfast  ;D

gewindows

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 09:13:56 pm »
Ive just worked out to heat my 350 litre van-mount by 40C would take 13 KWH. At about 10p per KW it would therefore cost £1.30 for 350 litres of water heated by 40C, so maybe from 10C to 50C.

matt

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 09:18:02 pm »
Ive just worked out to heat my 350 litre van-mount by 40C would take 13 KWH. At about 10p per KW it would therefore cost £1.30 for 350 litres of water heated by 40C, so maybe from 10C to 50C.

sounds nice enough

*kentnick@hotmail.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 09:18:35 pm »
my friend why would you want to heat water like that.use a hot tap and save some money

gewindows

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 09:18:46 pm »
What you reckon Matt, go for it?  ;)

matt

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 09:20:02 pm »
wouldnt it be better to go for 6 X 500 W heaters though

slightly cheaper

AND

if 1 fails, they you will still get hot water, if your 3KW heater fails its alot of money done

gewindows

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 09:22:20 pm »
No, because a 500w heater will only heat to about 30C               ???              I think ?

gewindows

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 09:23:03 pm »
my friend why would you want to heat water like that.use a hot tap and save some money

I dont, I just started this thread to give you a silly opportunity to post something stupid.

darragh windows

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 09:24:39 pm »
it about 16p per kilowat where i live
jamie

matt

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 09:26:19 pm »
No, because a 500w heater will only heat to about 30C               ???              I think ?

true indeed

i am sure the thermostat can be overridden ( disabled )

thats my plan anyways

macmac

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 09:30:56 pm »
A standard domestic immersion heater is 3KW. Better put some new bearings in your electric meter matty boy!! ;D

gewindows

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 09:31:48 pm »
You can get remote thermostats Matt for aquarium heaters, I have one here but it only goes up to 32. If you can get one which allows you to go higher you can miss out the thermostat on the heater and control it with the remote one.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/addtobasket.asp?skid=4633&retp=39&rets=188

JamesTurnbull

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 09:32:08 pm »
i think it will work quite well mate, i use a 3kw heater on my pond which works really well.

gewindows

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 09:32:19 pm »
A standard domestic immersion heater is 3KW. Better put some new bearings in your electric meter matty boy!!

;D

matt

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 09:36:33 pm »
You can get remote thermostats Matt for aquarium heaters, I have one here but it only goes up to 32. If you can get one which allows you to go higher you can miss out the thermostat on the heater and control it with the remote one.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/addtobasket.asp?skid=4633&retp=39&rets=188

which must mean you can by-pass the thermostat

macmac

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 09:40:05 pm »
I wouldn't bypass a thermostat dude. It's there for a reason! ;)

gewindows

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 09:45:46 pm »
I think you place the heater in the tank and plug the heater into the remote thermostat, somehow this overrides it once the heaters therm has been set to max.

jonnyald

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 09:47:34 pm »
in a house i once had an immersion THERMOSTAT  jammed open, very scarey it was so i wouldnt do that fellahs as the house wiring gets red hot

matt

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 09:47:57 pm »

;D

to stop you having boiled fish ;)

live on the edge ;)

macmac

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 09:49:20 pm »

;D

live on the edge ;)

You're such a rebel these days Matt! :D

matt

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 09:53:56 pm »

;D

live on the edge ;)

i wait for the " you will have to notify your van insurance who will not be happy with you putting a paperclip between the 2 points to bypass the thermostat " posts

it'll be like the L5 ticking time bomb all over again  ;D ;D ;D

gewindows

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 09:55:27 pm »
Oh well, bought it.

So we will see.

I have another use for it too, to heat my 2,000 litre aquarium Im putting together  ;D

macmac

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 09:56:59 pm »

;D

live on the edge ;)

i wait for the " you will have to notify your van insurance who will not be happy with you putting a paperclip between the 2 points to bypass the thermostat " posts

;D ;D ;D

I rang my van insurance company to notify them I didn't wear steel toe-caps, just to be on the safe side! ;)

You're becoming so unprofessional too! :o

gewindows

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2010, 09:57:29 pm »
in a house i once had an immersion THERMOSTAT  jammed open, very scarey it was so i wouldnt do that fellahs as the house wiring gets red hot

When was that?

I'll probably only use it in the winter and for conservatorys/gutters etc.

macmac

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2010, 10:03:49 pm »

When was that?

You need to speak to a pro' sparky mate IMO (seriousley) A domestic immersion & cooker/oven are powered by a different/exclusive line to all the other electrics in a house. I'm no expert but it will probably be higher rated cable + higher rated fuse/breaker.

Just to add- especially if you plan to leave the scene once it's powered up.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 10:05:08 pm »
Matt couldn't you run it off a large enough battery?
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

matt

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 10:05:37 pm »

When was that?

You need to speak to a pro' sparky mate IMO (seriousley) A domestic immersion & cooker/oven are powered by a different/exclusive line to all the other electrics in a house. I'm no expert but it will probably be higher rated cable + higher rated fuse/breaker.

40 amp cable, the big stuff

on its own line / ring aswell

matt

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 10:06:49 pm »

;D

live on the edge ;)

;D ;D ;D

I rang my van insurance company to notify them I didn't wear steel toe-caps, just to be on the safe side! ;)

i hope you told them you wear a " name badge "  though, that might have lowered your premium abit

;D ;D

gewindows

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 10:07:58 pm »
Ive got a sparky that lives 3 doors down, he's done work for me before, I'll get him to take a look, fortunately the consumer unit is on the wall next to the house drive, so fairly simple really.

jonnyald

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 10:09:30 pm »
it was about 12 years ago . first i knew was when my missus heard a weird boilin noise  and  then i  found the immersion cupboard was so hot and so was the house wiring all cos  the thermostat had bypassed itself  and we had a 600quid leccy bill that quarter . luckily the leccy board didnt believe it could be true  and i didnt hav to cough up.and they put me in a new meter and shortly after i moved out

macmac

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 10:09:39 pm »
Ive got a sparky that lives 3 doors down, he's done work for me before, I'll get him to take a look, fortunately the consumer unit is on the wall next to the house drive, so fairly simple really.

Is there also a fireman close by? ;D ;D ;D

matt

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 10:09:44 pm »

nah, just run a cable from the pole outside your house

your far to professional  ;)

macmac

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2010, 10:12:09 pm »

;D

live on the edge ;)

;D ;D ;D

i hope you told them you wear a " name badge "  though, that might have lowered your premium abit

;D ;D

Na, just got my chrome VW badge hooked onto my neck-bling! ;)

matt

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2010, 10:17:02 pm »

;D

live on the edge ;)

;D ;D ;D

;D ;D

you down with da Beastie's then

macmac

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2010, 10:21:37 pm »

;D

live on the edge ;)

;D ;D ;D

;D ;D

;D ;D ;D what about grolsh bottle tops in the shoe laces, remember that? ;D

matt

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2010, 10:22:11 pm »

;D

live on the edge ;)

;D ;D ;D

;D ;D

;D ;D ;D what about grolsh bottle tops in the shoe laces, remember that? ;D

matt luke and craig  ;)

Mike 108

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2010, 10:44:21 pm »

What was wrong with this suggestion? Particularly if you have a 'combi' boiler.

There's nothing wrong with it if you operate a 'Di only' system (or is there?).

Mike

gewindows

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2010, 10:54:17 pm »
You havent read his other posts.

DI doesnt agree with hot water either.

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2010, 11:26:19 pm »

The battery would be as big as the van   ;D

Tom Mac

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2010, 08:30:04 am »
We all go on about how hot the water will get in the tank, but has anyone looked into how long it will stay warm enough to travel through say a 100m of hose and up the pole before freezing. Dont forget that when you turn the pump of the water in the 6mm clear hose will freeze almost straight away in these temps. Then there is a second issue here. Should we be leaving frozen water everywhere for people to slip on. Dont get me wrong, i will work if at all possible but it is something i worry about and yes i put grit down where i can and i dont clean where i think it will create a hazzard. So in summary, my problem is not getting the tank up to temp, but in keeping the pipe in the pole and the jets from freezing all day long

gewindows

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2010, 08:36:54 am »
True enough, but if that thing can heat the water to  lets say 50C then your in with a chance.

Regarding the ice issue I have one of these, a floor squeegee on a 3' pole

which I use to squeegee away water on doorsteps, Ill use it on the ground floor on days like this and spread salt after.

Tom Mac

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2010, 08:56:04 am »
Yes you are in with a chance. I can understand the water in the tank taking awhile to loose its heat, but lets say you reel your hose out onto the ground, finish the clean. You now have reel the hose in and out for the next clean. The water is not going to stay warm for than a few moments in the tiny pipe it flows through. So the tank is still warm and 75-100m down the line you have your blockage. Renders the whole excercise a waste of money and time does it not. I'm not against it as its what i did last year. I tried various temps and the problem was always at the or near the brush nozzles. I even put the brush and pole hose under the van heater between houses. Lets face it, in these temps there is only one answer. Holiday somewhere warm. 8)

gewindows

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2010, 09:06:55 am »
We'll have to see how it goes, Im off out the back in a sec to check the air temp and see how hot my tank water is, I left a baby 300W tank heater in it last night, at 7pm last night it was 10C.

Count Phil

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2010, 09:09:18 am »
in last years freezing temps, the l5 heated my water to 60 and it came out at 40 - which is very hot to touch on a cold day and steamed off the windows. So 40 would come out at 20+? It shouldn't lose as much heated as the difference isn't as extreme. 20's plenty- it won't freeze. Just role the hose up immediately after finishing.

gewindows

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2010, 09:17:28 am »
So what temp is safe for the glass in weather like this Phil when the water comes out the brush? 20?

LWC

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2010, 09:21:03 am »

Can you tell me why you said DI doesnt agree? Everyone seems to say it and nothing to back it up? I tried it last year and it worked fine so explain that one?

Count Phil

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2010, 09:29:54 am »
Don't know what's safe. I had it coming out at 40 and it was safe. That is, I didn't crack any windows. I dont do downstairs with pure water I do trad and if anything breaks its unheated porches and conservatories - or so I hear. The thermopure guys have only broken the odd window and they have to use 60  - and with thermobore hose it has to reach the window hotter than 40 - just a guess though. I shouldn't worry.

I think they break glass when they have it on the winter setting which is 75! That's going to come out hot. If it is only coming out at 20 - 40 I think it would be very unlikely to break glass. Though I'm not promising.

Wish I'd rigged up the l5 now - but it constantly cuts out! Blows out, times out, heat sensor cut out - and suddenly the water's cold or frozen. I used one bottle of gas and never refilled it. Hot water was better but it really needs to be done properly. Esp. if we're going to get winters like this. If I had a proper one I'd be working right now, instead of writing this.

gewindows

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2010, 09:33:38 am »

Can you tell me why you said DI doesnt agree? Everyone seems to say it and nothing to back it up? I tried it last year and it worked fine so explain that one?

Oh! Give it a couple of years and you'll grow a third ear on your forehead 

Actually I made it up  ;D

LWC

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2010, 09:37:43 am »

Oh! Give it a couple of years and you'll grow a third ear on your forehead 

Actually I made it up  ;D

I wasnt being cocky lol, just amazes me how many people say this but yet its only water going through di...thats hot???

Also

"Wish I'd rigged up the l5 now - but it constantly cuts out! Blows out, times out, heat sensor cut out - and suddenly the water's cold or frozen. I used one bottle of gas and never refilled it. Hot water was better but it really needs to be done properly. Esp. if we're going to get winters like this. If I had a proper one I'd be working right now, instead of writing this."

I couldnt agree more about faffing around with it, i had it and it was great like you said but the amont of time ispent re lighting it, trying to get it going again in timeout mode and then working away and it goes cold cause something else has happened, spent more time messing than cleaning windows!

Count Phil

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2010, 09:41:53 am »
Did you get a proper one yet sensai? Cos I'm gonna try. The thought of pratting around with an l5 again doesn't appeal.

LWC

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2010, 09:48:43 am »
No i didnt get an l5 i had a morco heater which apparntly should of been better than the L5. I dont know, unless i was doing something wrong. When it worked it was fab and very hot, even after 100m of hose laid out, yeh youll always gonna loose some heat, but never enough for it to freeze lol...not that quick anyway. And a quick blast of hot through it son sorts it.

I had thought about your idea matt, as i said i filled with hot and it stayed hot for ages. No where near as hot as out of boiler though, but a nice working temp all the same. Let us know how you get on matt.

gewindows

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2010, 10:13:19 am »
Will do, interesting to say the least.

I spoke to the company that supplies them this morn, they reckon tehy have a backlog of orders so it may not be here til the end of the week.

DanielUK

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2010, 12:42:45 pm »
My DI vessel has a note on it saying operating temp should only be between 1c and 24c

Johnny Coyle

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2010, 12:49:15 pm »

;D lol

LWC

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2010, 02:05:47 pm »
Will do, interesting to say the least.

I spoke to the company that supplies them this morn, they reckon tehy have a backlog of orders so it may not be here til the end of the week.

When the snow and ice has gone lol

matt

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2010, 05:11:25 pm »
for me it isnt about the chance to work in these temps, i dont need to work in the,, more importantly, i dont want to work in them, today i went to see alvin and the chipmonks 2 with my daughter ( good film ;))

i just want to solve a problem that seems to exist, i also want to see if the cleaning power of warn water is better

a insulated tank will stay warm most part of the day, try it, go and fill a pop bottle with warn water, wrap it in somethign warn and pop back in a few hours, it'll still be warm

DanielUK

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2010, 10:46:58 pm »
if you put the water heater in the night before it'll keep the van nice and warm overnight