NBwcs

pure water damage
« on: June 30, 2008, 10:57:48 pm »
Anybody know if theres any evidence to suggest that pure water has a detremental effect to wood finishes ie stain or even paint come to that. A customer has just had theirs re done and has told me that "your water has pitted the wood " hence its been re stained. I of course went onto "autodefense" and denied any such thing could happen, (I have no idea what she meant by pitted, I certainly hadnt noticed it). She hasnt come to this conclusion by herself, im certain the decorator has given her the benefit of his vast knowledge of pure water cleaning, but it has set the old grey matter going.Ive been wfp for 14months now, so pesonally cant speak as to long term effects, any imput welcome boys, and girls of course.

Bazzy1999

Re: pure water damage
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 11:23:44 pm »
Nick... many moons ago i used to be a Painter/Decorator and the only way you could get pitted paint finish is if the wood was already wet or damp when they painted it or there was some kind of greese on it already..
but saying that i did clean a door not that long ago and it took the shine off it.. it was a red wooden door with a very light varnish on it.....Painters a... never there fault..

Bazz...

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:25:50 pm »
De-ionised water accelerates the stripping of varnish, oiled stained wood and removal of flaky paint. It also rots the wooden sills quicker. Customers should maintain their window frames more periodically :)

maxwe11

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 11:28:35 pm »
if they used a quilaty paint i dout pure could do any damage
im a paint sprayer by trade at the mo

Bazzy1999

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 11:31:20 pm »
if they used a quilaty paint i dout pure could do any damage
im a paint sprayer by trade at the mo

What kind of paint sprayer??

maxwe11

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:35:09 pm »
componants, upvc windows and conservitorise interior pannels for commercial vehicles lots and lots
not car sprayer

Bazzy1999

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:40:51 pm »
componants, upvc windows and conservitorise interior pannels for commercial vehicles lots and lots
not car sprayer

Any powder paint spraying?

maxwe11

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:43:11 pm »
nope know people who have

Bazzy1999

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:44:53 pm »
Better shut up and get back to the topic... :-X

Bazz...

macmac

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 12:22:50 am »
I can't see how pure water can do any more damage than rain to anything as rain (in most places) usualy has a tds of only approx 5ppm. ???

Tony

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 03:38:19 am »
Can anyone explain why de-ionised water is eating through my tee-shirts (from the splashes).....?

Ian_Giles

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 06:27:57 am »
I don't think you will find that it is the pure water doing any damage to your tee shirts! In over 4 years I've never had that problem and I wear the same uniform polo shirts all the time.

Pure water isn't THAT pure, it's only marginally purer than rain, we measure it's purity in parts per million for window cleaning purposes, but it still has contaminants in it.
Put some in a glass, stick it in the freezer and it will freeze at just below freezing, have some water that has a reading of zero parts per BILLION and you will have to get the temperature down to several degrees below freezing before it will turn to ice.
Pure water will not effect paintwork or rot wood any faster than any other kind of water, it isn't on there long enough to affect the woodwork! It will dry out too fast.
Woodwork and paintwork will be more effected by condensation from dew in the mornings than from pure water (and I'll bet that the dew that forms is purer than rain too) and in any month between cleans there will have been several hours of rain for the paintwork to contend with, not just half a litre of our water once a month!!
And as for damage to paintwork, that big yellow thing up in the sky does no end of damage!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

NBwcs

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 08:05:02 pm »
Cheers lads, appreciate your imput.

dd

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 08:06:05 pm »
Can anyone explain why de-ionised water is eating through my tee-shirts (from the splashes).....?
I get the same thing with cotton t-shirts. Does anyone else?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 08:07:07 pm »
I can't see how pure water can do any more damage than rain to anything as rain (in most places) usualy has a tds of only approx 5ppm. ???

Tony
Rain doesn't get scrubbed in. ;D
It just falls onto the window.

Ian, you're so ridiculously defensive of your magical system.
It could never do anything wrong could it? ::)

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 08:09:23 pm »
Ah!!!
I wondered why my t-shirts keep getting holes in the bottom edges lately. ???

You may be onto something!

ftp

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 08:46:17 pm »
More likely to be a large belly rubbing against the sills me thinks. I can't believe these myths of acid water eating through hinges, sills, van floors and tee shirts - people drink the stuff and put their tropical fish in it after all.  ::) Mind you some people still think it sterilizes glass so it must be pretty aggressive.  ;D

supernova77

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 10:21:26 pm »
Ah!!!
I wondered why my t-shirts keep getting holes in the bottom edges lately. Huh

No Rog - That's all your nasty moaning customers doing that  ;)

Andy

mustafa

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 10:27:05 pm »
tell them they do take the windows in door while it was raining 

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 10:47:14 pm »
If with any water (pure or otherwise) you spray and scrub a window in a wooden stained door then over time it will lighten where you over-spray and scrub in the same way as a shed will weather more quickly where the prevailing wind, rain and sun hits it than in the lee, dry or shade.

Sometimes it is wiser to scrim a small door window or squeegie a larger one.

But it is down to maintenance and quality of stain - IMO.
It's a game of three halves!

trevor perry

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 07:40:47 pm »
i used to wash my scrims in pure water but soon stopped they where rotting and getting holes in like mad , it was definately the pure water.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 08:11:24 pm »
i used to wash my scrims in pure water but soon stopped they where rotting and getting holes in like mad , it was definately the pure water.
Well I believe you Trev, because I don't fantasize about pure water and water-fed-poles in my spare time. ;)

Simon_King

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 09:00:00 pm »
Anyone would think we where using hydrochloric acid to clean windows! ;D
The windows more than likely had been painted with cheap stain or varnish and the job was a poor one too.
Its like when a custie of mine said that the unit was filling up with water due to the high pressure of my system.
He thought it was a pressure washer and I'd damaged his seals on the frame.
I turned the machine on and held my hand over the flow of water and he was amazed I still had skin on my hand!
Turns out he had a cheap job done on his replacement windows. I think this lady had the same with her painter and he is trying to pass the book.
Ive been using wfp for 4 years and never come accross pure water alone being to blame for fading paint.

dd

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 09:24:24 pm »
Same here.

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 10:51:10 pm »

What a load of b#llocks
Been using pure water for 4 years, can't account for one shirt, trousers, scrim, or window that has been damaged through it.
Don't tell me there's a critical difference between window cleaning water at zero ppm and rain at 4 or 5 ppm.

RPCCS

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 11:00:49 pm »

Its like when a custie of mine said that the unit was filling up with water due to the high pressure of my system.
He thought it was a pressure washer and I'd damaged his seals on the frame.
I turned the machine on and held my hand over the flow of water and he was amazed I still had skin on my hand!

I just had that this week, once I showed him how little pressure was involved , by holding my thumb over the hose end to stop the flow of water, he relented
Cheers Rich

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 11:02:53 pm »
Hot pure water is even worse than cold pure water. There definitely is a difference between pure (000TDS) water and rain water at 005-015TDS) it's more aggressive, it absorbs dirt easily whereas rain water doesn't.

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 11:24:12 pm »
it's more aggressive, it absorbs dirt easily whereas rain water doesn't.

I used to believe this stuff about pure water and being aggressive (nice sales pitch) but I don't anymore. Pure water contains nothing and therefore leaves no residue when rinsed correctly. If you don't rinse correctly in theory, if the water was aggresive then it would still absorb the dirt which of course it doesn't.

Skyglide

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 11:36:22 pm »
Pure water definately has a detrimental effect on painted and stained wood. We only seek work with uPVC frames because we don't want complaints further down the line. If we have to take on a customer with wooden frames it is cleaned every 12 weeks so the damage is less noticable long term.

ftp

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 11:52:32 pm »
Have to agree 100% with that Neil.  ;)

sjm

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 11:59:34 pm »
I would hate to be in a quiz team with you lot !  You are so nerdy about purity of water , its a wonder that some of you are still married !  ::)

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2008, 01:01:45 am »
Be serious guys please, holes, eating lol ftp LMAO you not canceled again yet  ::)

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2008, 01:15:24 am »
Haha, all this talk of aggressive pure water makes me laugh so hard.

Eating trough scrims? Hahaha that's the funniest thing I've heard about pure water so far.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2008, 05:48:59 am »

Tony

I'm not being defensive of my magical system as you call it, just talking sense, the water is just pure water, as for being acidic, it will absorb more carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, potentially turning it into carbonic acid, but the effect is so marginal as to be barely detectable for gods sake!

rotting teeshirts? It isn't battery acid for crying out loud, and as for it being scrubbed onto the windows and so on...well it is hardly being 'scrubbed' in is it? By saying you are 'scrubbing' it in makes it sound like you are using loads of pressure and elbow grease and I certainly don't do that!

General weathering due to the elements does way more damage to paintwork and woodwork or UPVC frames than a 30 second wash once a month. (thats all the average medium size window takes)
Wind, rain and especially sunshine does the damage.

Me defending a 'magical system'?

More like others thinking it has magical properties, so powerful in can eat through tee shirts, strip varnish from woodwork...really aggressive stuff!....I don't think so!!
It's just water with no dissolved solids in it, marginally purer than rainwater is all, and because it has no dissolved solids in it, it makes it ideal for window cleaning.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

ftp

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2008, 08:08:18 am »
They forecast rain today - as it's nearly pure will my clothes disolve from my body?  ::)

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2008, 08:17:10 am »

Tony

I'm not being defensive of my magical system as you call it, just talking sense, the water is just pure water, as for being acidic, it will absorb more carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, potentially turning it into carbonic acid, but the effect is so marginal as to be barely detectable for gods sake!

rotting teeshirts? It isn't battery acid for crying out loud, and as for it being scrubbed onto the windows and so on...well it is hardly being 'scrubbed' in is it? By saying you are 'scrubbing' it in makes it sound like you are using loads of pressure and elbow grease and I certainly don't do that!

General weathering due to the elements does way more damage to paintwork and woodwork or UPVC frames than a 30 second wash once a month. (thats all the average medium size window takes)
Wind, rain and especially sunshine does the damage.

Me defending a 'magical system'?

More like others thinking it has magical properties, so powerful in can eat through tee shirts, strip varnish from woodwork...really aggressive stuff!....I don't think so!!
It's just water with no dissolved solids in it, marginally purer than rainwater is all, and because it has no dissolved solids in it, it makes it ideal for window cleaning.

Ian
I knew you'd wriggle out of it on technicalities. ;D

You may be right...

...but pure water could sleep with your wife and you'd shake it's hand. ;D

Dave Turley

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2008, 08:20:37 am »
i've been wfp for 2 and a half years now and have never got any holes in my tee shirts!

I get splashed regularly as well.

I have noticed  some varnish fading quickly though, especially on the wooden sill beneath white painted frames... might be the oxidised paint soaking in in that instance though

Darren O

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2008, 08:35:50 am »
The thing that does the most damage to wooden frames is the sun were i stay is all terraced houses about 15 years ago all the council houses in the area got new wooden windows with varnish on them after 2or3 years the front windows had hardly any varnish left on them but the back windows looked perfect.The reason for this was our front windows get the sun all day long in the backdoor  its early evening before we get the sun.When i look across to my neighbours backdoor its the oposite as there back windows were getting the sun all day long and the whole scheme was the same.A few years back some of my customers tried to blame me and my fairy liquid for the there flakey frames.

Helen

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 09:26:43 am »
I would hate to be in a quiz team with you lot !  You are so nerdy about purity of water , its a wonder that some of you are still married !  ::)

Marry someone who has the same knowledge about purified water and you wil be ok ;D ;D ;D

Now shall I join in.................... nah I think not ;)