NBwcs

pure water damage
« on: June 30, 2008, 10:57:48 pm »
Anybody know if theres any evidence to suggest that pure water has a detremental effect to wood finishes ie stain or even paint come to that. A customer has just had theirs re done and has told me that "your water has pitted the wood " hence its been re stained. I of course went onto "autodefense" and denied any such thing could happen, (I have no idea what she meant by pitted, I certainly hadnt noticed it). She hasnt come to this conclusion by herself, im certain the decorator has given her the benefit of his vast knowledge of pure water cleaning, but it has set the old grey matter going.Ive been wfp for 14months now, so pesonally cant speak as to long term effects, any imput welcome boys, and girls of course.

Bazzy1999

Re: pure water damage
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 11:23:44 pm »
Nick... many moons ago i used to be a Painter/Decorator and the only way you could get pitted paint finish is if the wood was already wet or damp when they painted it or there was some kind of greese on it already..
but saying that i did clean a door not that long ago and it took the shine off it.. it was a red wooden door with a very light varnish on it.....Painters a... never there fault..

Bazz...

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:25:50 pm »
De-ionised water accelerates the stripping of varnish, oiled stained wood and removal of flaky paint. It also rots the wooden sills quicker. Customers should maintain their window frames more periodically :)

maxwe11

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 11:28:35 pm »
if they used a quilaty paint i dout pure could do any damage
im a paint sprayer by trade at the mo

Bazzy1999

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 11:31:20 pm »
if they used a quilaty paint i dout pure could do any damage
im a paint sprayer by trade at the mo

What kind of paint sprayer??

maxwe11

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:35:09 pm »
componants, upvc windows and conservitorise interior pannels for commercial vehicles lots and lots
not car sprayer

Bazzy1999

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:40:51 pm »
componants, upvc windows and conservitorise interior pannels for commercial vehicles lots and lots
not car sprayer

Any powder paint spraying?

maxwe11

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:43:11 pm »
nope know people who have

Bazzy1999

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:44:53 pm »
Better shut up and get back to the topic... :-X

Bazz...

macmac

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 12:22:50 am »
I can't see how pure water can do any more damage than rain to anything as rain (in most places) usualy has a tds of only approx 5ppm. ???

Tony

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 03:38:19 am »
Can anyone explain why de-ionised water is eating through my tee-shirts (from the splashes).....?

Ian_Giles

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 06:27:57 am »
I don't think you will find that it is the pure water doing any damage to your tee shirts! In over 4 years I've never had that problem and I wear the same uniform polo shirts all the time.

Pure water isn't THAT pure, it's only marginally purer than rain, we measure it's purity in parts per million for window cleaning purposes, but it still has contaminants in it.
Put some in a glass, stick it in the freezer and it will freeze at just below freezing, have some water that has a reading of zero parts per BILLION and you will have to get the temperature down to several degrees below freezing before it will turn to ice.
Pure water will not effect paintwork or rot wood any faster than any other kind of water, it isn't on there long enough to affect the woodwork! It will dry out too fast.
Woodwork and paintwork will be more effected by condensation from dew in the mornings than from pure water (and I'll bet that the dew that forms is purer than rain too) and in any month between cleans there will have been several hours of rain for the paintwork to contend with, not just half a litre of our water once a month!!
And as for damage to paintwork, that big yellow thing up in the sky does no end of damage!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

NBwcs

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 08:05:02 pm »
Cheers lads, appreciate your imput.

dd

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 08:06:05 pm »
Can anyone explain why de-ionised water is eating through my tee-shirts (from the splashes).....?
I get the same thing with cotton t-shirts. Does anyone else?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 08:07:07 pm »
I can't see how pure water can do any more damage than rain to anything as rain (in most places) usualy has a tds of only approx 5ppm. ???

Tony
Rain doesn't get scrubbed in. ;D
It just falls onto the window.

Ian, you're so ridiculously defensive of your magical system.
It could never do anything wrong could it? ::)

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 08:09:23 pm »
Ah!!!
I wondered why my t-shirts keep getting holes in the bottom edges lately. ???

You may be onto something!

ftp

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 08:46:17 pm »
More likely to be a large belly rubbing against the sills me thinks. I can't believe these myths of acid water eating through hinges, sills, van floors and tee shirts - people drink the stuff and put their tropical fish in it after all.  ::) Mind you some people still think it sterilizes glass so it must be pretty aggressive.  ;D

supernova77

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 10:21:26 pm »
Ah!!!
I wondered why my t-shirts keep getting holes in the bottom edges lately. Huh

No Rog - That's all your nasty moaning customers doing that  ;)

Andy

mustafa

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 10:27:05 pm »
tell them they do take the windows in door while it was raining 

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 10:47:14 pm »
If with any water (pure or otherwise) you spray and scrub a window in a wooden stained door then over time it will lighten where you over-spray and scrub in the same way as a shed will weather more quickly where the prevailing wind, rain and sun hits it than in the lee, dry or shade.

Sometimes it is wiser to scrim a small door window or squeegie a larger one.

But it is down to maintenance and quality of stain - IMO.
It's a game of three halves!