john green

which hose reel ??
« on: January 06, 2007, 06:19:41 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good metal hose reel,,,where to get it from and whether its best to have it bolted down or not ,thanks guys,,,john

martindrz400

Re: which hose reel ??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 07:35:55 pm »
gardinia any garden centre

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 08:07:11 pm »
This is a good one.

£54 quid

Alex

john green

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 10:13:26 pm »
it would seem Alex you may know something about this reel,,,,would any of the joints show signs of leaking at all  after some use ??

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 10:15:45 pm »
it would seem Alex you may know something about this reel,,,,would any of the joints show signs of leaking at all  after some use ??
This is the best reel i have ever used

john green

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 10:18:18 pm »
so norfolk boy,,,would you use it freestanding or bolt it down,,,from suffolk boy,,,,john :-\

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 10:35:25 pm »
Bolt it down but having said that is heavy enough to stay put if sat outside of the van

spotless2000

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 11:14:11 pm »

I've been using this hose reel with microbore hose since March 06- Highly recommended!  Much tougher than the plastic alternatives and I've not had any leaks! ;)

Steve

Londoner

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 09:20:23 am »
To come back to the question of leaking. I think they all leak after a while but the ones you get from the Garden Centre are not only very expensive for what they are, they leak from day one. Are these ones better?

I need to buy a new one, when I started out with WFP I just went for cheap but its had it now.

drakestar!

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 09:25:01 am »
no leaks and last 4 ever

Londoner

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 09:43:46 am »
Thats a good enough recommendation for me. Thanks

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 12:54:07 pm »
Anything can leak after a while, particularly with the abuse we window cleaners give our stuff!!

But these metal ones seem to be pretty good, so our customers say (100 sold last year!)

I would never have a reel bolted down as I like the flexibility of placing my reel on either side of the vehicle depending on which direction I want to run the hose.

But then I personally would not use the metal reels as I find them too heavy so I stick with Hozelocks (leaks and all) as they are soo much lighter. I have a custom built drip tray for my 2 reels to sit in the vehicle (i had it built along with my custom built tank) this stop you worry about the odd leak! and keeps your vehicle dry.

Alex

gaza

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 01:31:42 pm »
KILL 2 birds with 1 stone why no have a swivel cclamp fitted to your van then slide it out of position ,then you ccould use it as a free standing extention .
If that makes sence

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Jack Avery

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 05:08:35 pm »
Hello John
I have used a plastic Hoselock hosereel since March cost £25. No leaks so far it has 90 mtrs of micrbore hose.
As to fixing or not I have screwed to the floor of the van two lengths of baton,
which are the width of the hozereel legs into which the hozereel sits. On the front piece of baton I have screwed a small
metal plate to hold the hozereel in place while pulling out the hoze. With this arrangement the hozereel is as if fixed but also you can lift it out if you want to.
If you have difficulty seeing it with your minds eye I could meet you at a hostelry somewhere and I couls show it to you.
Having said all that with hindsight I wished I bought one like Alex G refferred to.
Take care John.  We`ll catch soon I`m sure.

neil100

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 05:34:05 pm »
I have two metal reels, my son as one and we have no leaks on either reel. We Have used both reels on my van for just over a year and they are as good as new.

My recommendation would be to have them fixed in the van. Mine are fixed and my son as one fitted in his van. Its swings and roundabouts what you do. The benefits of fixed reels are:-   1. They cant fall over in the van and break or cause damage to your other equipment.
                                      2. Its easier to wind the hose in if its fixed. My son can wind his hose up without bending is back due to the reel being above his tank.
                                      3. It saves humping an heavy reel in and out of a van all day long.If you have a Domestic round like mine its a God send.
                                      4. Your back will thank you for it later in life.
                                      5. You will never pull your reel over onto its side.

The bad points:- Ummmmmmmmmmmmm. Because its fixed depending how your parked you may have to walk in the opposite direction to where you want to be to get enough length of hose. But that only costs seconds any way. For me their are more benefits of having them fixed.

Nel.

H h20

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 06:27:33 pm »
Nel you could fit something like this to make the reel swivel,Gaz
http://www.evsltd.com/evs-base.htm

or this is an actual swivel reel
http://www.nationalwholesaletools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=65

john tomkins

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 08:49:23 pm »
Only bad point for me is leaving the rear doors open to any old tea leaf >:(

john green

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 08:54:33 pm »
thanks guys,you've given me lots to think about,,think I'll take up Jacks offer of buying me a drink (mines a pint) for a chat

neil100

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 08:19:25 am »
Doors are not a problem John.I just close them when my hose is unwound to the furtherst distance.Undesirable Tealeafs can look else where.

Because its Microbore hose my righthandside door seams to be able to close without kinking or reducing the water comeing through my hose. Perhaps its because of the thick seals in its door design. Better anyway then cutting holes in the side of your van for it to be secure.

Nel.

john green

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 05:33:12 pm »
thanks Neil,,just gone out in the rain to test your theory anddddddd,,,it works!!

steveaqua

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2007, 05:40:29 pm »
since we were talking about this last week i tried closing the doors on my tranny and my micro bore sits fine between the door and the rubber seal so the van can be locked no worries when working

Ian_Giles

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2007, 07:41:31 pm »
The big metal ones everytime, I started with the plastic hoselock things, eventually got one of the metal type ones from Cleantech, best upgrade for a long time!
The difference between the plastic and the metal ones is totally enourmous when it comes to winding it in, even with the best part of 100m of standard size tricoflex hose draped 80 metres up the road.
The worst leak I've had so far is a couple of drips here and there.

As for freestanding or bolted down?

Mmmm....sometimes I am pleased to have the scope that not having it bolted down gives me...and then sometimes I wish it was bolted down tight!

Ideally I think some contraption that would allow me to swivle it out of the rear of the van, and then able to lock it in place in the centre or to either side, plus having it on a plate that would allow it to rotate in whatever direction that gives me the most direct route to where I'm working....

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

spotless2000

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 08:08:44 pm »
Ideally I think some contraption that would allow me to swivle it out of the rear of the van, and then able to lock it in place in the centre or to either side, plus having it on a plate that would allow it to rotate in whatever direction that gives me the most direct route to where I'm working....

All the above plus the hose retracts when you push a button?  Just my ideal.  Am I getting lazy or do I want to be more efficient?

Steve