matt

Re: WFP 2 operators on same house
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 08:26:38 pm »

You just have to try not to cross over the hoses as you will get in a tangle.

yes we have seen what happens when "you cross the streams"

Paul Coleman

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 08:56:54 pm »

Sounds a bit like "Ghostbusters" to me.

matt

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 09:02:42 pm »

Sounds a bit like "Ghostbusters" to me.

;) indeedy :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 09:09:17 pm »
What I'm saying is, why don't you consider employing her to the ground-floor only?

That was my idea but she would have to use a pole as her squeegie technique leaves a little to be desired.

I guess what I'm interested in is whether it's worth spending a few hundred quid on some more gear. I don't want it to end up being a white elephant.

By the way Tosh how does your wife get on in the winter, mine says she's not sure she could hack the cold weather.
Paul.  The more things I have read on this thread, the more it feels to me as if you ought to stay as you are.  You clearly have doubts as to whether it would work and you know your wife whereas we don't.  However, I am writing this from the perspective of someone who has tried teaming up in the past and found it difficult.  I much prefer working alone so may not be the best person to contribute to such a thread but I'm sure you want to hear as many views as possible (even mine?  ;D ).  It can take quite a while to become an efficient team and the dripping issues of WFP can make it even harder to organise as timing is more critical than with an all trad team.  The bit that REALLY stood out though was your wife's aversion to cold weather working.  For me that spoke volumes.  I feel that having extra help is more important in the Winter due to the shorter daylight hours.  It sounds like she could be unavailable when you need her the most.

dai

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 09:41:02 pm »
Paul, my mrs is only 4ft 9in, no joking. I fixed her up with a backpack on a trolley and I even fitted a hose reel to it. I fill the thing for her unless the container is half empty. She only ever does downstairs though.
The answer to your question largely depends on your round. Most of my work is very compact, loads of houses next door to each other. When you have work like this you just start doing the tops 10 mins before her. I allways drop back and give her a hand if I get too far ahead. [ I'll do these trad] As you point out, cons are a godsend as she can do these while the windows are dripping. The houses that have those little roofs above the downstairs windows are handy too. You can do the backs first and do the fronts after she has done the bottoms. If you have stand alone jobs then she can do any windows and door panells that don't have windows above them first. It's the same for guys that work alone when they have difficult access. I'm not going to climb over a gate/ wall 4 times, getting over and then getting back is enough. If a few drips fall after I have finished is something they will have to put up with, unless they want to pay extra. Hope this helps. Dai

AuRavelling79

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 10:29:50 pm »

She only works part time too; usually.  Four days per week, for around 20 to 25 hours per week; tops.

That's full time hours for me! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Archy136

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 07:51:00 am »
or "Grunts" 

or Monkeys

squeaky-clean 1

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 08:50:27 am »
hi

has your wife tried to extend the pole as being 5"4 shouldnt stop her from extending the pole as a female cleaning with water fed pole i clean at the front or back when working with somone and clean up down over con roof on flat roof and also clean on my own being a lady does not mean you can not wfp lack of confidence stops you.

Belinda
Belinda
the real boss.

paul mather

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 08:57:04 am »
hi

has your wife tried to extend the pole as being 5"4 shouldnt stop her from extending the pole as a female cleaning with water fed pole i clean at the front or back when working with somone and clean up down over con roof on flat roof and also clean on my own being a lady does not mean you can not wfp lack of confidence stops you.

Belinda

Yep & she could just about manage our house, she's not the strongest you see, quite petite infact so that's not an option.

It just seems crazy that there is extra work there that I can't usually get round in a month & my wife is doing a 36 mile round trip everyday to work at a school.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

squeaky-clean 1

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 09:04:51 am »
sorry i still say its just confidence give her time she will manage let hewr start on bottoms only when she gets better and stronger which she will she may want to try tops.

for now she will just have to wait a sec or two till drips stop then clean bottoms after you.

confidence  ;D ;D

Belinda
Belinda
the real boss.

paul mather

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2006, 09:21:19 am »
sorry i still say its just confidence give her time she will manage let hewr start on bottoms only when she gets better and stronger which she will she may want to try tops.

for now she will just have to wait a sec or two till drips stop then clean bottoms after you.

confidence ;D ;D

Belinda

Trust me on this confidence doesn't come into it , she physically struggles to lift the pole up & down & I can't afford to kit her out with carbon fibre gear!!!!
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

paul mather

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2006, 11:02:01 pm »
Anybody else out there work with the wife :-*  How d'you get on??
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

TVCS

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2006, 04:41:37 pm »
My wife and I work together.  Window cleaning and pressure washing and valeting.
At the mo we both work trad with the windows but have ordered a wfp van system. 
I find that if I do the ladder work,  I can move onto the next house whilst she does downstairs and collects the money.  Sometimes the old dears prefer to chat to a fair maiden than a hairy arsed bloke, and she often gets tips.  When we go wfp I will do the rear of the house whilst she does the front.  No probs with drips that way.  As far as being strong enough to handle the poles she manages to pressure wash as long as I do even with the extenbable lance.
A bit of practice and my misses is as quick as me now trad. ( I'm not the fastest in the world myself) but we can maintain a steady pace all day.

The only downside is now her indoors is not indoors but in the van the bacon butties have been replaced with tupperware tubs full of salads and pasta things and other boring healthy things.

Ant

Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

JM123

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2006, 06:44:27 pm »
no bacon butties??!!   :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I