paul mather

WFP 2 operators on same house
« on: August 17, 2006, 09:38:55 am »
My wife is considering coming with me a couple of days a week.

We would both be using WFPs. Question : do any of you guys work in pairs ie both on same house & how does it work out? Am I right that with all the extra water coming down you don't want to be cleaning the bottoms before the tops, so how does it work out in practice.

I suppose conservatories are handy for the other operator to get on, with but not all houses have connies.

I think it will cost me £400 plus to set my wife up with a pole hose & reel, more powerful pump & a pump to improve my water pressure as I can just about make enough water for me at the moment. So I want to know what you all think before I spend so more money.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

DASERVICES

Re: WFP 2 operators on same house
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 09:47:09 am »

Paul,

Are you ready to do all the high work, I think your wife will have a prob after
  the first house with the weight of the pole. You then need to think can you
  stand all day doing tops.

Working in pairs works well on large house, not small as you have to wait
  for the drips to stop.

Doug

Archy136

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 10:00:57 am »
If I was you I would only have her using a second pole on really large properties.

On standard houses I would use her moving the hose around so you dont have to stop you can just concentrate on cleaning. You'll be surprised how much quicker that will make you.

cleantech.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 01:57:06 pm »
If I was you I would only have her using a second pole on really large properties.

On standard houses I would use her moving the hose around so you dont have to stop you can just concentrate on cleaning. You'll be surprised how much quicker that will make you.

we have a customer local to us with 5 staff

4 of them clean (with backpacks) 1 refills backpacks, and when he uses the system in his van, the boy refilling just pulls hoses around.

he reckons that emplying sombody just to do this (he never actually does any cleaning) more than pays for itself, as the boys doing the cleaning never have to stop unless there hungry  ;D

Justin
All posts by Justin @ Cleantech unless specified otherwise

poleman

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 02:08:13 pm »
Easy one does the back windows and one does the fronts - job do  ;)

Andy

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 02:52:09 pm »
its known as goffering justin,

but normally two opperatives use poles ups & downs taking it in turns and then the goffer sets up at the start and end of each job also ensuring the two opperatives work hassle free by moving the hoses etc,

it works well and can earn upto £420.00 per day with two opperatives and one goffer in a van with 1000ltr tank and two pumps.

rgds,

stuart

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 03:10:08 pm »
we call them goffers

remember caddy shack the film

its just funny

Darn Goffer

(or golfer)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ronaldo

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 03:37:00 pm »
Do this sometimes 2 men both with backpacks one does fronts other does backs and you can fly round and earn big money very quickly if you the houses in a nice run.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 04:12:36 pm »
Chris,

Poleman has it right. Nice and simple.

Alex

pjulk

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 04:14:23 pm »
Yes we often do this one does fronts and one does backs.
We use two reels from the van mount each reel has its own pump.

Sometimes one does the from with the van mount and one does the back with trolley whichever is quicker really.

Paul

paul mather

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 04:26:02 pm »
Yes we often do this one does fronts and one does backs.
We use two reels from the van mount each reel has its own pump.

Sometimes one does the from with the van mount and one does the back with trolley whichever is quicker really.

Paul

Yes that sounds great but my wife is 5 foot 4 inches & will not be able to cope with an extendable pole so she would have to do the bottoms.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

neil100

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 04:31:13 pm »
Paul,

If my son works with me we allways as a rule do seprate houses.

I will do the left hand side of the street he will do the right. The hoses are 100mtr so have a fair old reach.

You just have to try not to cross over the hoses as you will get in a tangle.

You could do tops only of a back pack and let your wife do downstairs only with the hose. When tops finnished work back towards her.

Two people are never as effecient as one so its not the case that you can earn double the money of one.

Nel.

paul mather

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 04:36:52 pm »
Paul,

You could do tops only of a back pack and let your wife do downstairs only with the hose. When tops finnished work back towards her.

Two people are never as effecient as one so its not the case that you can earn double the money of one.

Nel.

Yes thanks Neil,
It's true what you say I used to work with my dad a few years ago & we were lucky if we got one & a half as much done.

I'm starting to think that it's not such a good idea actually
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

neil100

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 04:46:07 pm »
My wife asked if she could come and help me at the weekend.

I got my lightest 18' pole and said just clean a couple of windows on our house, It looks easy see what you think.

She was blowing and aching after one window.

Took a rain cheque on the help.

Nel.

paul mather

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 05:04:52 pm »
My thought was I could get my wife a 3 or 4 foot pole just to do the bottoms with, she could earn a few quid & then in turn she wont keep mithering me for money for extravagant luxuries like shopping & shoes for the kids.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 05:23:57 pm »

Yes that sounds great but my wife is 5 foot 4 inches & will not be able to cope with an extendable pole so she would have to do the bottoms.

Paul,

I work with Wor Lass.  This is mostly how we work.

We pull up and Wor Lass will start on a house with a conservatory; trad.  She only uses A-Frames when needed.

I WFP tops and then would just keep moving onto the next property.  Sometimes I can be five or six houses ahead of her.

She follows, cracking-on with the ground floor windows and doors; collects or puts chits through their letter boxes.

When I get too far ahead, I'll change my backpack for a belt kit and 'squeegie' my way back to her direction.

When I get close, I'll go back to the WFP.

There may be the odd Georgian or Leaded house in our cluster of houses, so in this situation, I'll crack on with the WFP and get well-ahead of her and then do this 'awkward' property 100% with the pole.

When we have inside and outside work, she starts on the inside.

Okay, we're not as fast as two operators both using a WFP doing 100%, but we're both faster than me by myself or me doing 100% WFP (which I'm not brave enough to do; yet).

Together, we have a good hourly rate.

However, I'm faster with a squeegie than her; so if she had the physical capacity to use a WFP, I'd prefer to do the trad and let her use the pole; but she hasn't.

What I'm saying is, why don't you consider employing her to the ground-floor only?

Also, the sexist pig I am, I don't think many females could hack window cleaning, day-in, day out; especially in some of the more adverse weather conditions we experience.

paul mather

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 05:37:18 pm »
What I'm saying is, why don't you consider employing her to the ground-floor only?

That was my idea but she would have to use a pole as her squeegie technique leaves a little to be desired.

I guess what I'm interested in is whether it's worth spending a few hundred quid on some more gear. I don't want it to end up being a white elephant.

By the way Tosh how does your wife get on in the winter, mine says she's not sure she could hack the cold weather.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 05:55:26 pm »
That was my idea but she would have to use a pole as her squeegie technique leaves a little to be desired.

It takes time; the same way it took you time to learn.  Just be patient.

I guess what I'm interested in is whether it's worth spending a few hundred quid on some more gear. I don't want it to end up being a white elephant.

I can't help you here, since I don't know your Missis or her capabilities; but anything you purchase will be tax-deductable; you'll also be able to use your Missis tax allowance; and if all fails, you've got spare equipment for when yours wears out.

By the way Tosh how does your wife get on in the winter, mine says she's not sure she could hack the cold weather.

She moans and gripes, but gets on with it; like we all do!  She's also a marathon runner, and I do call her a 'tough old-bird'; which she loves (not)!  Just make sure you spend a bit of money on getting her the right clothing for winter.  Remember, there's no such thing as bad weather; just the wrong clothing; apparantly.

But I won't ask her to work in 'extremes' though.  I'd rather just get on with it by myself; it's a lot less moaning for me to listen to (and a lot less 'nodding of my head' and saying stuff like, 'ahhh, poor thing'; making the right noises).

She only works part time too; usually.  Four days per week, for around 20 to 25 hours per week; tops.

Most of my work is close to where we live, so it's no problem dropping her off, then heading back out by myself.

It's great if you've got school-age children; since you can be flexible and work-around school holidays without opting for the 'child care' scenario; which Wor Lass doesn't agree with.

Anyway, her nose would bleed if she worked longer; and she'd make me do house-work; which then would start my nose bleeding.

But really, this is a whole different thread called, 'Working with your Missis'.

JohnL

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 06:09:45 pm »
go·fer also go-fer Pronunciation (gfr)
n. Slang
An employee who runs errands in addition to performing regular duties.

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 06:11:57 pm »
"But really, this is a whole different thread called, 'Working with your Missis' "
Well go on then do it, we seem to work similar. - except I work for my boss and know my place (cough)

matt

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 08:26:38 pm »

yes we have seen what happens when "you cross the streams"

Paul Coleman

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 08:56:54 pm »

Sounds a bit like "Ghostbusters" to me.

matt

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 09:02:42 pm »

Sounds a bit like "Ghostbusters" to me.

;) indeedy :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 09:09:17 pm »

Paul.  The more things I have read on this thread, the more it feels to me as if you ought to stay as you are.  You clearly have doubts as to whether it would work and you know your wife whereas we don't.  However, I am writing this from the perspective of someone who has tried teaming up in the past and found it difficult.  I much prefer working alone so may not be the best person to contribute to such a thread but I'm sure you want to hear as many views as possible (even mine?  ;D ).  It can take quite a while to become an efficient team and the dripping issues of WFP can make it even harder to organise as timing is more critical than with an all trad team.  The bit that REALLY stood out though was your wife's aversion to cold weather working.  For me that spoke volumes.  I feel that having extra help is more important in the Winter due to the shorter daylight hours.  It sounds like she could be unavailable when you need her the most.

dai

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 09:41:02 pm »
Paul, my mrs is only 4ft 9in, no joking. I fixed her up with a backpack on a trolley and I even fitted a hose reel to it. I fill the thing for her unless the container is half empty. She only ever does downstairs though.
The answer to your question largely depends on your round. Most of my work is very compact, loads of houses next door to each other. When you have work like this you just start doing the tops 10 mins before her. I allways drop back and give her a hand if I get too far ahead. [ I'll do these trad] As you point out, cons are a godsend as she can do these while the windows are dripping. The houses that have those little roofs above the downstairs windows are handy too. You can do the backs first and do the fronts after she has done the bottoms. If you have stand alone jobs then she can do any windows and door panells that don't have windows above them first. It's the same for guys that work alone when they have difficult access. I'm not going to climb over a gate/ wall 4 times, getting over and then getting back is enough. If a few drips fall after I have finished is something they will have to put up with, unless they want to pay extra. Hope this helps. Dai

AuRavelling79

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 10:29:50 pm »

She only works part time too; usually.  Four days per week, for around 20 to 25 hours per week; tops.

That's full time hours for me! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Archy136

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 07:51:00 am »
or "Grunts" 

or Monkeys

squeaky-clean 1

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 08:50:27 am »
hi

has your wife tried to extend the pole as being 5"4 shouldnt stop her from extending the pole as a female cleaning with water fed pole i clean at the front or back when working with somone and clean up down over con roof on flat roof and also clean on my own being a lady does not mean you can not wfp lack of confidence stops you.

Belinda
Belinda
the real boss.

paul mather

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 08:57:04 am »
hi

has your wife tried to extend the pole as being 5"4 shouldnt stop her from extending the pole as a female cleaning with water fed pole i clean at the front or back when working with somone and clean up down over con roof on flat roof and also clean on my own being a lady does not mean you can not wfp lack of confidence stops you.

Belinda

Yep & she could just about manage our house, she's not the strongest you see, quite petite infact so that's not an option.

It just seems crazy that there is extra work there that I can't usually get round in a month & my wife is doing a 36 mile round trip everyday to work at a school.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

squeaky-clean 1

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 09:04:51 am »
sorry i still say its just confidence give her time she will manage let hewr start on bottoms only when she gets better and stronger which she will she may want to try tops.

for now she will just have to wait a sec or two till drips stop then clean bottoms after you.

confidence  ;D ;D

Belinda
Belinda
the real boss.

paul mather

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2006, 09:21:19 am »
sorry i still say its just confidence give her time she will manage let hewr start on bottoms only when she gets better and stronger which she will she may want to try tops.

for now she will just have to wait a sec or two till drips stop then clean bottoms after you.

confidence ;D ;D

Belinda

Trust me on this confidence doesn't come into it , she physically struggles to lift the pole up & down & I can't afford to kit her out with carbon fibre gear!!!!
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

paul mather

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2006, 11:02:01 pm »
Anybody else out there work with the wife :-*  How d'you get on??
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

TVCS

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2006, 04:41:37 pm »
My wife and I work together.  Window cleaning and pressure washing and valeting.
At the mo we both work trad with the windows but have ordered a wfp van system. 
I find that if I do the ladder work,  I can move onto the next house whilst she does downstairs and collects the money.  Sometimes the old dears prefer to chat to a fair maiden than a hairy arsed bloke, and she often gets tips.  When we go wfp I will do the rear of the house whilst she does the front.  No probs with drips that way.  As far as being strong enough to handle the poles she manages to pressure wash as long as I do even with the extenbable lance.
A bit of practice and my misses is as quick as me now trad. ( I'm not the fastest in the world myself) but we can maintain a steady pace all day.

The only downside is now her indoors is not indoors but in the van the bacon butties have been replaced with tupperware tubs full of salads and pasta things and other boring healthy things.

Ant

Veni, vidi, vino, splatus.

(I came, I saw, I drank, I fell over...)

JM123

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2006, 06:44:27 pm »
no bacon butties??!!   :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I