AuRavelling79

Backpacking! AKA 2003 wants its advice back.
« on: July 31, 2023, 10:01:29 pm »
Well it's been an interesting week. I have been using 4 barrels and a backpack on a folding sack truck out of my wife's Suzuki SX4 while Dan the Man and I have been gathering the bits for my van repair.

I do about £140/£150 in 4/5 hours and use 120 litres. More time is spent wiping frames and sills by hand.

It's more tiring than 6/7 hours wfp from van. And about half as financially viable.

But it works. If I was retired, keeping my hand in, it is doable although I would prefer a small van with say a 350 tank at 4 hours max a day.

One job worked quite well. It's a four storey Victorian house in Clifton with parking difficulties. Using a small car I was able to pull up opposite, take out the backpack and one barrel, put them on the wide wall at the front and get to work.

It took an hour whereas from the van it would have been similar (had I been able to park within 70 metres of the front gate.)
It's a game of three halves!

deeege

Re: Backpacking! AKA 2003 wants its advice back.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 10:07:04 pm »
Sounds grim. I would have took the week off 100%.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 10:33:44 pm »
Sounds grim. I would have took the week off 100%.

Well I like to keep my customers up to date. And I'd rather have £700 than nothing.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 10:34:39 pm »
I'd rather have my health and sanity than 700 notes

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 12:25:49 am »
I'd rather have my health and sanity than 700 notes

Darran

I have all three.

DJW

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 07:02:58 am »
I’d rather hire a van.

Jonny 87

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2023, 08:35:19 am »
That sounds like nightmare.

Well done and fair play to you for doing that for a week. Be careful of the old back too. Quite easy to pull something with moving the backpack and barrels around.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Soupy

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023, 08:38:30 am »
I’d rather hire a van.

Or insist that the insurance company continues to provide one until the issue is completely resolved.

Slacky

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 09:39:47 am »
Fair play. £30 an hour is £30 an hour more than many people can be bovvered doing themselves these days.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2023, 10:26:54 am »
I’d rather hire a van.

Or insist that the insurance company continues to provide one until the issue is completely resolved.

It is completely resolved.

Ggh

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 10:32:34 am »
It’s good to suffer a little to allow you to appreciate how easy thing’s normally are.

£30 an hour is great money. Twice what a junior Dr earns.
Z21 cherry picker and operator for hire
From £350/day

Soupy

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2023, 10:41:22 am »
I’d rather hire a van.

If you say so.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2023, 11:46:17 am »
I’d rather hire a van.

If you say so.

You seem to be making a comment based on the fact that you don't know the facts of my claim.

Why would you do that?

Don Kee

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2023, 11:56:36 am »

You seem to be making a comment based on the fact that you don't know the facts of my claim.

Why would you do that?

So what were you hoping for with your OP if not comments and opinions?
Everyone to tell you how inspiring you are?

The fact you’ve apparently limited the facts you’ve shared whilst posting all about your situation on a public forum is more on you rather than the comments you receive.

As it goes though, I’d probably do something similar to what you've done; especially if I was looking to fix up an insurance write off.
As has been said, something is better than nothing.

Soupy

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2023, 12:06:56 pm »

Why would you do that?

I'm just giving my opinion based on the information provided.

I've had numerous insurance claims over the years. Where we were not at fault my insurance company has ensured that there we've not been put out and had to resort to barrels, backpacks and cars, culminating in a 50% drop in financial viability. For me "completely resolved" would mean that I am back to 100% financial viability.

My advice to others on the forum would be to ensure this doesn't happen to you. Insurance isn't cheap and you should get what you pay for. Indeed the last claim I made the insurance company wanted the hire vehicle returned before we had the replacement sourced. I refused.

If there is other pertinent information that you've chosen not to share then fair enough, I can only form an opinion on the information provided though.

DJW

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2023, 01:38:10 pm »
Just a thought …..you are insured on the wife’s car for business use aren’t you?

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2023, 02:22:01 pm »
Just a thought …..you are insured on the wife’s car for business use aren’t you?

good point

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Smudger

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2023, 02:23:51 pm »
also....

you were happy with 700 motes and no spend

or

hire a van 150 quid and earn 1250 for the week - and in more comfort

Darran

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2023, 02:35:08 pm »

Why would you do that?

I'm just giving my opinion based on the information provided.

I've had numerous insurance claims over the years. Where we were not at fault my insurance company has ensured that there we've not been put out and had to resort to barrels, backpacks and cars, culminating in a 50% drop in financial viability. For me "completely resolved" would mean that I am back to 100% financial viability.

My advice to others on the forum would be to ensure this doesn't happen to you. Insurance isn't cheap and you should get what you pay for. Indeed the last claim I made the insurance company wanted the hire vehicle returned before we had the replacement sourced. I refused.

If there is other pertinent information that you've chosen not to share then fair enough, I can only form an opinion on the information provided though.

On the Prang thread I said the claim had been resolved. I also explained that I have been paid out for my van. After being paid out I had a further week's use of the hire van. Nearly three weeks in total.

I could have bought another van. I chose not to. So it's up to me to look after myself from a certain point. The solicitor I spoke to said that five working days (7 actually) from payout on a write off claim was reasonable.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2023, 02:37:32 pm »
also....

you were happy with 700 motes and no spend

or

hire a van 150 quid and earn 1250 for the week - and in more comfort

Darran

Or only have £800 worth of work scheduled for the week hire a van for £300, spend a day putting my tank and system in and out and be more out of pocket.