Slacky

How to respond.
« on: October 30, 2019, 09:50:41 am »
This boils my pi55.

How would you think would be the best way to respond. The window cleaning quote was for £200, so it’s a large place, the gutters as I recall the place would be more than a days work.

The initial quote was 4 months ago.

Ian101

Re: How to respond.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 10:25:35 am »
Hi Mrs Unrealistic,
Whilst i would like to say yes to your request unfortunately it is not possible however good news is as we are on site already then i can clean the gutters for less than we normally charge.
The charge to just empty the gutters would be £xxx and to wash the gutters exteriors inc soffits and facias would be £xxx so in total thisis £xxx PLUS the windows at £xxx

nathankaye

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 10:50:20 am »
Can think of many sarcastic replies and smart ass responses but I think Ian's is a good one to use
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 11:08:06 am »
Ian's reply is the one to use..

That's the sort of thing i would respond with.

it does make you wonder what people think though!
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 01:18:01 pm »
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 02:00:32 pm »
If the place is 200 + for the Windows then I’m thinking the gutters will be more than that on there own,even if it meant losing the windows I wouldn’t include them lol.
I would say I can do it for less if I do it when I’m here but I wouldn’t be tempted to do it for nothing although some cleaners may do just to keep the windows,I would say they are trying it on to see if you have enough work in your diary.

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 02:38:20 pm »
Hi Mrs Unrealistic,
Whilst i would like to say yes to your request unfortunately it is not possible however good news is as we are on site already then i can clean the gutters for less than we normally charge.
The charge to just empty the gutters would be £xxx and to wash the gutters exteriors inc soffits and facias would be £xxx so in total thisis £xxx PLUS the windows at £xxx

Off topic but I thought you had left us and gone back to the motor trade. Nice to see you are still around.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 02:43:50 pm »

Its called negotiating. They probably think to price is too high to begin with so lets get an added extra for nothing. It worth a try. If you have worked as a salesman in the motor trade you will experience it just about every day.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

GeorgeP

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 02:45:33 pm »
Thank you for your reply , but our price is based on knowledge and experience, you will find cheaper, sometimes, but rarely they do a good job, if you want a professional service, then we can help,

Slacky

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 03:21:26 pm »

Its called negotiating. They probably think to price is too high to begin with so lets get an added extra for nothing. It worth a try. If you have worked as a salesman in the motor trade you will experience it just about every day.

I know what their previous cleaner charged and I'm cheaper and I'm recommended.

Slacky

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 03:33:32 pm »

I dont think people think. End of...

No consideration that this person is just trying to earn a living, pay their bills and make their way in life.

They're detached from reality if they think anyone would be happy to spend a day working for them for bugger all when they dont even know them or are likely to ever know them at any level.

Perhaps these people are just narcissists.

TomCrowther

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 03:48:32 pm »
I have recently changed my position regarding negotiation. I give the price and that's it. No haggling at all.
Decent customers get discounted rates for additional work such as guttering which I think is fair and works for both sides. I had a call a few weeks back to a large house in a well to do area. Green and over flowing gutters. Filthy windows and frames. Basically been neglected for years. Wanted everything doing. Gave the prices and she responded saying "it's only a days work?" Told her to crack on with it then. 

Slacky

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 04:00:17 pm »
This is what I put:

Dear Mr Dickweed,

Many thanks for your email.

Im sorry but the price that I quoted was for just the external window cleaning .

If you would like to book in a window cleaning visit I can work out a price for the gutter cleaning when I am there.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Matt Bateman | Manager | Oakley Window Cleaning

Short and sweet, to the point.

It took him 4 months to reply to my quote, thats a black mark already. Truth is I've not got a good feeling at all about this one.

andyM

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 04:05:00 pm »
How would you think would be the best way to respond. The window cleaning quote was for £200, so it’s a large place, the gutters as I recall the place would be more than a days work.

The initial quote was 4 months ago.

I wouldn't waste any more time with them so wouldn't bother responding.

One of the Plebs

Ian101

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 04:05:56 pm »

Off topic but I thought you had left us and gone back to the motor trade. Nice to see you are still around.
[/quote]

HI Spruce ... coming back to windows early next year ... normally I just lurk

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 04:28:09 pm »
Sometimes people with money are just plain arrogant and tight fisted. Or should i say, ones who think they have more money than others lol.
I know some people who are self made millionaires  and you wouldnt know if you bumped into them, apart from nice clothes n watches etc lol.

I priced up a very nice home in a well to do area at over £140 for their windows. The look on their face was priceless but perhaps not as much as mine when theybsaid the last cleaner only charged £25. Haha my jaw must have hit the floor.

Ild go with your gut on this matt, as its taken them that long to get back to you. They may have had several quotes in and realised that your either cheaper or mid price and youve been recommended and they still took the mickie. 

It reminds me of this customer who came out and asked for a quote every 2nd month and each time i kept putting the price up 😁😁
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Slacky

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 04:52:49 pm »
I priced up a very nice home in a well to do area at over £140 for their windows. The look on their face was priceless but perhaps not as much as mine when theybsaid the last cleaner only charged £25. Haha my jaw must have hit the floor.

I think the problem with this scenario is they will view you as trying to rip them off because they're probably loaded and think you are imposing a 'wealth tax'. Even if the other fella is doing it at a remarkably lower rate. Sometimes we're stuck between rock and a hard place and whatever you do the customer just doesn't fit your customer profile.

nathankaye

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 05:39:16 pm »

I think the problem with this scenario is they will view you as trying to rip them off because they're probably loaded and think you are imposing a 'wealth tax'. Even if the other fella is doing it at a remarkably lower rate. Sometimes we're stuck between rock and a hard place and whatever you do the customer just doesn't fit your customer profile.

True, 
All I know is that they were trad cleaned and so im assuming it must be a team of lads to knock it out fast and move onto the next one. 
Im fast at trad work but even at my prime on the trad tools it would have still taken several hours by myself to clean it.  On wfp, I was expecting it to be a couple of hours min, as some windows still required ladder access.

It is a mind set though as you said because half way up the street or around the corner there is another house that snatches the offer out of your hand!

Ive finally learnt to just smile and move on and be greatful that I didnt end up with some of these as customers.  They will be happy to drop you over a fiver, regardless of the fine reputation or quality of service. 
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

robbo333

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 05:51:49 pm »
Bearing in mind you were recommended and cheaper than the last window cleaner, I think he is taking the p1ss a bit.
Personally I wouldn't want it.

Dear Mr Smith
Thank you for your text.
Unfortunately, I am very busy at the moment, so I'm afraid I can't help you.
Regards
Peter
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Simon Trapani

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 05:55:12 pm »
This is what I put:

Dear Mr Dickweed,

Many thanks for your email.

Im sorry but the price that I quoted was for just the external window cleaning .

If you would like to book in a window cleaning visit I can work out a price for the gutter cleaning when I am there.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Matt Bateman | Manager | Oakley Window Cleaning

Short and sweet, to the point.

It took him 4 months to reply to my quote, thats a black mark already. Truth is I've not got a good feeling at all about this one.

I think that reply is spot on Slacky imo.

And I agree with others that the price is the price. I don't do haggling. I'm not a market trader. If they don't like it they can get someone else. I'm not rude about it or offended if they go elsewhere. I just just know what price we can do it for. That's it. Take it or leave it.