RO-Sheen

gocardless ltd took £50 from my account
« on: May 25, 2015, 11:37:55 pm »
Checking my statement on friday night and noticed gocardless ltd took £50 from my account which was not authorised. I heard of the name of the business but never took up their services nevermind looked into what they are about.
I contacted my bank straight away and they got the money back for me.

No idea how they managed to take the money but just thought I should let you all know so you can keep an eye on your account.

Adie
Formerly known as GARGAAX

Soupy

Re: gocardless ltd took £50 from my account
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 06:23:22 am »
Gocardless are a direct debit service provider. Chances are the £50 was for somebody else.

Soupy

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 06:39:59 am »
Just out of interest, do you share your bank details on your website? Sort code and account number would be all someone needed (along with easily get-able info like your address), to set up a direct debit in your name using a direct debit service provider.

Might be worth contacting gocardless and finding out if this is the case, and where the £50 was going...

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:07:27 am »
Just out of interest, do you share your bank details on your website? Sort code and account number would be all someone needed (along with easily get-able info like your address), to set up a direct debit in your name using a direct debit service provider.

Might be worth contacting gocardless and finding out if this is the case, and where the £50 was going...

Good point Soupy.

If I remember correctly, Jeremy Clarkson  also got 'scammed' this way when he put his bank account details on the web in one of his mouthing off moments. I think it was a charity that showed him that this wasn't a good practice.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Jonny 87

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 07:41:54 am »
You will always get the money back though. Thats why direct debit are safe, they are backed with the direct debit guarantee by your banks.

Any unauthorised payments, banks refund you, then chase up where and why the money went out.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

RO-Sheen

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 06:37:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies,  I've got to the bottom of it now. I left a message on the gocardless phone and they returned the call this morning.
Turns out I donated £50 to a local group that were raising money for a splash park for the kids. It was a few months ago and the deal was that if the group raised the target amount by the deadline date then they would debit the amount from the donors account.
what I didnt know was that they were using a middleman (gocardless ltd) to collect the donations and thats why they debited my account, They just didnt reference the splashpark on it. It's all good now.
Incidentally, I dont have my account details on my website, just on the slips I put through the door after cleans.

Regards

Adie

Formerly known as GARGAAX