KS Cleaning

3kw immersion heater
« on: November 08, 2014, 01:33:37 pm »
Does anyone on here have a 3 kw immersion heater fitted to their tank ? What sort of temperature will the water reach in a 650 litre tank ? Anyone got any pics ?

windowswashed

Re: 3kw immersion heater
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 04:43:55 pm »
Not advisable as too dodgy unless using a timer, 16 amp cable fully unwound and even then it's dodgy if left on and forgotten about. Better off with 2kw immersion heater.

ChumBucket

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 05:01:39 pm »
Not advisable as too dodgy unless using a timer, 16 amp cable fully unwound and even then it's dodgy if left on and forgotten about. Better off with 2kw immersion heater.

Not dodgy at all if done correctly. An element with a resettable thermostat will trip out at any pre-set temperature regardless of any additional timer anyway. You are correct with the 16amp cable & connections though. 2KW would take all night to heat a tank, you want 3KW.

I've been using one for about three years, all rigged up from main consumer unit with 16amp gear. I have an external 16amp socket on the wall outside which is rigged to consumer unit (new term for fuse box) via a mains timer. I just plug my immersion into this on a night when required & set the timer inside to come on for about four hours through the night. Get up in morning, lovely tank of hot water, totally frost free toasty van all ready to go. Just unplug the cable & off I go. ;)

KS Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 04:33:20 pm »

Not dodgy at all if done correctly. An element with a resettable thermostat will trip out at any pre-set temperature regardless of any additional timer anyway. You are correct with the 16amp cable & connections though. 2KW would take all night to heat a tank, you want 3KW.

I've been using one for about three years, all rigged up from main consumer unit with 16amp gear. I have an external 16amp socket on the wall outside which is rigged to consumer unit (new term for fuse box) via a mains timer. I just plug my immersion into this on a night when required & set the timer inside to come on for about four hours through the night. Get up in morning, lovely tank of hot water, totally frost free toasty van all ready to go. Just unplug the cable & off I go. ;)
Yep, had a sparky around today and he is gonna fit a socket in my garage which will cope with the 3kw heater, can you recommend a good 3kw immersion heater or are they all much the same?

ChumBucket

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 05:40:45 pm »

Yep, had a sparky around today and he is gonna fit a socket in my garage which will cope with the 3kw heater, can you recommend a good 3kw immersion heater or are they all much the same?

I got all my gear from Toolstation- apart from the actual immersion cable (the short piece which will be wired to the element itself) because they only sold it in long lengths. I got a 2m length of this cable from City Electrical Factors.
The element I got was a 27" long life one & fitted to tank via a proper mechanical flange- also from Toolstation.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 07:22:25 pm »

I got all my gear from Toolstation- apart from the actual immersion cable (the short piece which will be wired to the element itself) because they only sold it in long lengths. I got a 2m length of this cable from City Electrical Factors.
The element I got was a 27" long life one & fitted to tank via a proper mechanical flange- also from Toolstation.
Thanks, I'll take a look at toolstation. Don't you just run the cable from the immersion element directly to the socket? If so, I will prob need about 5m of immersion cable.

ChumBucket

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 07:29:48 pm »

Thanks, I'll take a look at toolstation. Don't you just run the cable from the immersion element directly to the socket? If so, I will prob need about 5m of immersion cable.

Can't see why not.

firefly123

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 07:49:21 pm »
heat proof cable from the immersion to power supply on a timer with a safety cut out its fine water will get to about 40 degrees in 6 hours
shiney one