Re: one employee in van daily expectation
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 07:49:12 pm »
I knew who'd started this before I even looked ;D

SeanK

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 08:23:17 pm »
lol

+1

You have lost me on this one, I'm planning to employ in the near future are you telling me I should expect
to take someone on who couldn't care less because its not their baby.
Are you telling me they should wattle along at their leisure knocking out 10 to 15 properties while I knock out 20 ?
Are you telling me if they are doing 50% of the work then they should be getting 50% of the profits ?
When I was an employee my job paid my bills so it was in my interest also that the company succeeded it didn't matter
what the boss was earning.

G Griffin

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 08:28:45 pm »
Kiss the badge.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

PoleKing

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 08:37:10 pm »
lol

+1

You have lost me on this one, I'm planning to employ in the near future are you telling me I should expect
Are you telling me they should wattle along at their leisure knocking out 10 to 15 properties while I knock out 20 ?
Are you telling me if they are doing 50% of the work then they should be getting 50% of the profits ?
When I was an employee my job paid my bills so it was in my interest also that the company succeeded it didn't matter

There is absolutely no way that anyone else is going to work as hard for your business as you. Absolutely none.
Remember-you're quite motivated in the grand scheme.
Motivated enough to start your own business.
Most people, which probably includes your employee, aren't.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

p1w1

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 08:38:46 pm »
lol

+1

i think the point is if its your business then your going to care about it a lot more and will want it to really exceed then someone who is getting paid £8-9 an hour like you said. you need to give an employee some initiative to want to work harder for you its plain simple window cleaning (boring and mundane) nothing more so if you expect someone to slog there guts out rain, snow or shine for an hourly wage (£8-9) then i reckon your going to go through a few people a year.

Don Kee

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 08:39:34 pm »
lol

+1

not to get involved in your tiff, but on another thread you say your not turning over 25,000 yet...
thats less than £500 a week, less than £100 a day.....assuming you want to work 5 days a week ( apologies if you dont) i wouldn't worry yourself on employing yet buddy...

edit - granted i havent accounted for hols and stuff, but with 4 weeks off a year its around £520 a week (ish)

richywilts

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 08:49:30 pm »
don kee was that message aimed at me or sean k ive got plenty of work to do 1700 a week i think
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

SeanK

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 08:54:21 pm »
lol

+1

not to get involved in your tiff, but on another thread you say your not turning over 25,000 yet...
thats less than £500 a week, less than £100 a day.....assuming you want to work 5 days a week ( apologies if you dont) i wouldn't worry yourself on employing yet buddy...

That's nothing to do with my earning potential its to do with the hours I work and what I wanted from the business.
To be honest employing was the last thing on my mind but due to ill health this year and my round suffering I'm now
considering it.
I honestly have turned away enough work in the last year or so that would employ another guy easily.
I'm old school and believe its a privilege to be employed when so many out there want work and cant
find it.
That's why I expected others would feel the same but you live and learn.

Mick Kent

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 08:57:54 pm »
Id expect an employee to clean as many as me too! Its what im paying for if he doesnt the  i find 1 who does! Luckily mine is quicker than me and does more than me.

PoleKing

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 08:57:59 pm »
lol

+1

That's nothing to do with my earning potential its to do with the hours I work and what I wanted from the business.
To be honest employing was the last thing on my mind but due to ill health this year and my round suffering I'm now
considering it.
I honestly have turned away enough work in the last year or so that would employ another guy easily.
I'm old school and believe its a privilege to be employed when so many out there want work and cant
find it.

That'd be nice mate, but it aint the reality.
Ive lost count of the times I've had lads go out on an easy day-i'd be finished by 2:30 or 3 and come half 5 or 6 they roll back and just go 'sorry' couldn't finish the day.
Sometimes over a hundred quid short of the day's target.
I rang a lad yesterday, he was in the pub. Finished £65 short. And i asked him to do a quote. Just got a 'sorry' gotta be home tonight. Quote was literally 10 minutes out of his way. Made no difference to him. He still took his day rate home.

G Griffin

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 08:59:28 pm »
You can expect an employee to do as many jobs as yourself but whether it's achievable is another matter.
If it has to be achieved then standards will probably slip. I think you can expect targets to be hit but don't expect the same effort that you'd put in yourself.  
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

SeanK

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 09:03:45 pm »
lol

+1

i think the point is if its your business then your going to care about it a lot more and will want it to really exceed then someone who is getting paid £8-9 an hour like you said. you need to give an employee some initiative to want to work harder for you its plain simple window cleaning (boring and mundane) nothing more so if you expect someone to slog there guts out rain, snow or shine for an hourly wage (£8-9) then i reckon your going to go through a few people a year.

£8 or £9 was a figure from Window Lickers I was trying to work out a wage going by my own output (the 20 properties was only
used as an example)
What sort of output would Poleking and yourself expect from an employee.
Cheers.

PoleKing

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 09:04:30 pm »
lol

+1

£8 or £9 was a figure from Window Lickers I was trying to work out a wage going by my own output (the 20 properties was only
used as an example)
Cheers.

what do you mean 'output'?

8weekly

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 09:05:55 pm »
Id expect an employee to clean as many as me too! Its what im paying for if he doesnt the  i find 1 who does! Luckily mine is quicker than me and does more than me.
I agree with Mick.. getting to be a habit.

Don Kee

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 09:06:02 pm »
lol

+1

considering it.
find it.

Fair play mate, and all the best with the health

Unfortunately though, i have to agree that an employee wont hit (regularly) what you hit a day unless you lower the targets
I think the OP targets are about bang on imo, easy enough days that the worker wont resent the job, good amount of turnover, and can consistantly hit the target

Don Kee

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 09:08:49 pm »
don kee was that message aimed at me or sean k ive got plenty of work to do 1700 a week i think

Keep your knickers on tiger, i actually think your daily targets in your original post are about right mate

SeanK

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2014, 09:11:14 pm »
lol

+1

used as an example)
Cheers.

Lets say you could clean 20 £15 properties in a day not killing yourself what would you expect from your employee
as a realistic target ?
Cheers.

Scrimble

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 09:16:15 pm »
That'd be nice mate, but it aint the reality.
Ive lost count of the times I've had lads go out on an easy day-i'd be finished by 2:30 or 3 and come half 5 or 6 they roll back and just go 'sorry' couldn't finish the day.
Sometimes over a hundred quid short of the day's target.
I rang a lad yesterday, he was in the pub. Finished £65 short. And i asked him to do a quote. Just got a 'sorry' gotta be home tonight. Quote was literally 10 minutes out of his way. Made no difference to him. He still took his day rate home.

as a boss you dont ask your employee you tell your employee,

put a tracker in the van and you will see that your employee is mugging you off

PoleKing

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2014, 09:17:03 pm »
lol

+1

used as an example)
Cheers.

Lets say you could clean 20 £15 properties in a day not killing yourself what would you expect from your employee
as a realistic target ?
Cheers.

A realistic expectation, imo, would be ¾ of what you could earn yourself. +/- 10%

Mick Kent

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2014, 09:18:06 pm »
Id expect the same or more as its what im paying them for. Maybe the guys on here employ oap's that are slow and not fit for the job in hand?? Or employ drunks or puff heads??