how smug some people are :)

EandM

Re: Do wc still work this way?
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 11:44:12 am »
I remember that!

Jackal

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 11:48:13 am »
i do im trad,i dont have scrim on my shoulder or carry a step ladder but other than that its just trad cleaning

Klean07

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 11:54:16 am »
One of my old custies has a house like that. They dumped me for trad. Thing is their roof now looks like an assortment of smarties. Different colour tiles. ;D
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

H S and Son

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 12:22:08 pm »
Seen far worse than that. He'd do better to have a stand-off if he insists on trad, not a great deal worse than walking on a flat roof by the looks of things in all honesty.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 12:27:46 pm »
I hate scrim work, go good to not have to cloth leaded windows anymore.

won't miss that or walking on moss covered sloping tiles!

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 12:57:12 pm »
ive seen alot worse than that mate, one or two blokes stand on house roofs presure washing them in the rain round my way  :o

that slop in your pic is nothing, i would stand on that and im a pansie with heights  ;)

EZclean

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 01:33:28 pm »
i used to do them off a holsten crate  :o

cracking crate that was, could turn it the other way for a bit more height.
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

PURER CLEAN

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 01:34:11 pm »
not too bad when dry..... but sod that when they are wet  :o

Poles R Us

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 01:37:38 pm »
They need a pole ;)

Klean07

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 02:08:25 pm »
I used to run over roofs like that and worse but since converting over to wfp I value my life too much!!

PURER CLEAN

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 02:14:11 pm »
I used to run over roofs like that and worse but since converting over to wfp I value my life too much!!
dito till i fell off my ladder a badly done in my lower back  :'( now i cant even get over a bloody gate  :(

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 02:26:49 pm »
not too bad when dry..... but sod that when they are wet  :o
yeah true not when wet although when i was trad i have done them, shouldnt really though its asking for trouble init!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 03:17:45 pm »
I reckon they're Jaydubs - they've got that look about them.
It's a game of three halves!

Klean07

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 03:36:36 pm »

clean

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 04:07:59 pm »
What are they doing ?,how strange  ;D

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 05:32:56 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrL1kBVHyX0&feature=related

Oh dear where do they get them from?

flip me theres a load of cowboy numpties, that was scary and I wasn't even up t' ladder! poor kid....

Pope vader

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 05:37:02 pm »
there are loads of window cleaners around like that AS,   and people wonder why this business is treated like  a joke,  u wanna go newuay in the summer and watch some of the idiots around there cleaning windows, half of them look like rejects off jersey shore

Pope vader

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 05:40:07 pm »

Klean07

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 05:42:21 pm »
What a numpty!!!

bobby p

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 06:12:37 pm »

i must look out for a Holsten crate then ,  what colour are they?

at the mo i have 2 regular beer crates in my van for the lads to use, used all day they are as i wont allow ladders to be used on the downs

Paul Coleman

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 07:23:58 pm »

No chance.  Definitely scientologists.  :)

Klean07

Klean07

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 07:31:09 pm »
Pmsl ;D

steven ainger

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2011, 07:43:22 pm »
Think i'll get one  ;D

Klean07

EZclean

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 08:00:02 pm »

i must look out for a Holsten crate then ,  what colour are they?

at the mo i have 2 regular beer crates in my van for the lads to use, used all day they are as i wont allow ladders to be used on the downs

big yellow one.. found mine at back of a pub. hard to come by in the crate world
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

John F

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2011, 08:48:40 pm »
looks a bit dodgey. good way to bust roof tiles etc. whats the score with the girl using a step ladder? loads of better ladders around that would do a better job.

maybe they are new to the game and need to earn a few quid to get better gear or go wfp.

Pope vader

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2011, 08:50:41 pm »
the trad wc around here use them step ladders  that way they dont have the gear when they get caught signing on,  its just a set of step ladders and a few beer towels

Londoner

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2011, 09:19:16 pm »
ive seen alot worse than that mate, one or two blokes stand on house roofs presure washing them in the rain round my way  :o

I've seen that too, and a bloke crawling all over a roof last week on a windy day repointing the ridge tiles. I wish my phone had a camera on it

PURER CLEAN

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2011, 09:20:15 pm »

deeege

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2011, 10:02:45 pm »
Admit it, you were just taking a pic of the birds arse wern't you! :)
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

stuart mc

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2011, 12:23:18 am »

yep, I agree ;D I can spot them from a hundred yards

dazmond

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2011, 07:13:29 am »
i would say the majority of domestic window cleaners are still trad.they certainly are round my way.they just dont want to spend the money on a van and system.

on topic i used to clean loads of houses by standing on roofs like that.glad i dont have to now though. ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2011, 09:02:04 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMYxPqCfA0E&feature=related
;D ;D ;D that is the funnyest thing ive seen for a long time  ;D ;D ;D

I'll second that, sat here laughing head off! what is it about people falling over that makes it so funny? or r we just sick! so long as don't get too badly hurt...... but its ok, Kevin is ok!  ;D

Ian101

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2011, 09:58:53 am »
how smug some people are :)

Bobs WFP but only has a short pole so he still does the upstairs like this  ;D

need to meet up to get the black beast back off you ... little chef Tuesday ??

DG Cleaning

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2011, 07:37:04 pm »
Agree with Bobplumb, my my aren't you lot just a bunch of wc snobs. The loser here isn't the bloke on the roof its the one behind the lens.

Londoner

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2011, 08:25:17 pm »
How do you work that out? Its only a job at the end of the day, why take risks? The bloke behind the lens is not the one who's going to leave a head shaped dent in the concrete.
This is not a trad V wfp debate, its about risking a serious fall for a few quid when there is always another (safe) house futher up the street he could be cleaning instead. The world is full of houses, clean the safe ones and let the others go.

Jackal

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2011, 09:26:32 pm »
vince, if you seriously think that roof is dangerous think you need look at the 1000's of other dangerous jobs people do everyday, this one is basically a flat roof,

just for the record i arnt against wfp but why cant wfp guys just leave trad lads alone, so what if they look like cowboys as long as there earning money so what nowt do with anyone else,wfp aint for everyone, but i would change to wfp in a instant if i new i wouldnt be losing customers which i no you do as a mate of mine keeps picking work up from customers that dont want wet windows for hours,if i get asked to clean a new house had plenty say to me you dont use that pole thing tho do you,this just puts me off changing.sorry guys but wotever you say NOBODY wants wet windows

ALF.LEVER

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2011, 10:12:04 pm »
Spend a few quid go wfp and save your life ;D

Londoner

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2011, 10:39:40 pm »
I'm not saying that. How many years do you think I spent walking on roofs like that myself in over thirty five years cleaning windows? There is not much anyone can teach me about roofs. Got the skidmarks in my underwear to prove it, The simple fact is I don't have to now.

Of course its a risk, it may not be a big risk but luck runs out. Thats the message. One day a tile will go flying and he will end up on the deck. Statistical inevetablity.

I'm not saying don't clean trad, Just don't push your luck when its not necessary. And its not necessary IMHO. Theres always another house. Trad doesn't come into it at all .You can still clean trad without taking risks. Plenty of easy trad-able houses with no roofs to walk on.

And as for customers not wanting wet windows, there are enough that don't mind to go round. Certainly enough to keep me in a job, Plenty that actually prefer it, they phone you up and ask you is that right you do the windows the new way. I picked up one like that last week. We should not still be having these discussions. They are old in every sense of the word.

I am just interested in the money, its a percentages game, some you win, some you lose but I don't see any profit in unnecessary risks, we can all make a living without it . He looks like a nice kid, I would hate to be reading about him having a fall.

andyjm1

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2011, 08:31:21 am »
wotever you say NOBODY wants wet windows

We have customers who have insisted we clean their windows using wpf.

Windows get wet every time it rains.  ;)

Mike_G

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2011, 09:02:22 am »
How do you work that out? Its only a job at the end of the day, why take risks? The bloke behind the lens is not the one who's going to leave a head shaped dent in the concrete.
This is not a trad V wfp debate, its about risking a serious fall for a few quid when there is always another (safe) house futher up the street he could be cleaning instead. The world is full of houses, clean the safe ones and let the others go.

I know you like an argument Vince but seriously, you yourself said you have cleaned many windows like this for over 35 years and then you say its not worth the risk theres always another house, so why in the 35 years or so that you walked on roofs like this did you not find the other house instead of walking on the roofs and getting skidmarks in your pants?

Londoner

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2011, 10:12:04 am »
I would say its because I am not so stupid now as I was then and over the years I have heard of too many window cleaners that have had falls. Thirty five years ago it was unfashionable to wear a seat belt in a car, I wouldn't have been seen dead wearing one. Crash helmets on motorbikes were only worn in the winter to keep your ears warm. We used to habitually drink and drive on a regular basis. This meant I have lost several mates in road accidents and many got done for drink and drive over the years.

I have see window cleaners doing the office building in which I worked walking round the window ledges two or three stories up showing off to the typists and the secretaries

I would not say that just because we have done things in the past they were clever or right. Today I would say don't be as silly as we were   

Halfadaylee

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2011, 11:02:40 am »
vince, if you seriously think that roof is dangerous think you need look at the 1000's of other dangerous jobs people do everyday, this one is basically a flat roof,

just for the record i arnt against wfp but why cant wfp guys just leave trad lads alone, so what if they look like cowboys as long as there earning money so what nowt do with anyone else,wfp aint for everyone, but i would change to wfp in a instant if i new i wouldnt be losing customers which i no you do as a mate of mine keeps picking work up from customers that dont want wet windows for hours,if i get asked to clean a new house had plenty say to me you dont use that pole thing tho do you,this just puts me off changing.sorry guys but wotever you say NOBODY wants wet windows

NOBODY eh?
Thats a lot of market research you have done there
Well done.
Art

Handyman Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2011, 11:18:31 am »
Agree with Bobplumb, my my aren't you lot just a bunch of wc snobs. The loser here isn't the bloke on the roof its the one behind the lens.

good post, pmsl

i been thinking lately that there are a lot of obsesive health and safety ppl on here.

that roof does have a slope but not too steep, yes there is a risk to it but not high enough to scream about if he was using a ladder it be more awkward to position the ladder. ie on the sill the ladder be at the wrong angle.

he could put it to half way up the side of the window but then he may have to over stretch or put his foot on the sill.

either way this guy cant win

@ the person who took this photo,   was these cleaners in your area and because you are short of work they made you jelous so you came on here to show off to your obsesive health and safety disorder mates
Stephen C Brophy

Jackal

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2011, 11:41:37 am »

NOBODY eh?
Well done.
Art

Jackal

« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2011, 11:45:05 am »

NOBODY eh?
Well done.
Art

i said nobody wants wet windows and thats pretty obvious to me why would i need research this,you for real!!

DG Cleaning

« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2011, 12:05:33 pm »
[/Vince, How I work out it out is this. The bloke behind the lense is a loser because he didn't want to highlight a dangerous practice he wanted to sneer at a fellow wc who he obviously feels is below him because this wc isn't wiping windows with a brush on a stick. Pathetic!

Jackal

« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2011, 12:09:13 pm »
wotever you say NOBODY wants wet windows

We have customers who have insisted we clean their windows using wpf.

Windows get wet every time it rains.  ;)

yes im sure you do but most likely these are customers that are at work all day so never see them wet which are perfect for wfp,customers at home wont like seeing windows wet,raining is different they cant do owt about that can they,i picked up 6 houses in a street where a wfp guy is he now has 1 house in this small street i think they have stuck with him because its a friend of theres,like i said im not against wfp at all but just makes me laugh when other people say "All my customers love wfp"

Halfadaylee

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2011, 12:10:43 pm »
I will do this slowly for you.

What you wrote is NODOBY wants wet windows, implying that you know this, you cannot.
It may have been better to have written "I dont think anybody likes wet windows" or "my customers do not like windows being left wet" But again the oinly way to know this would be to have asked all your customers, hence the market research.
Even if you had asked them all about wet windows I bet none of the benefits of wfp were offered.

There are bad wpf operators that do a poor job the same as there are trad lads who tell their custards wfp is rubbish

It is a tool that is used in our industry and may even come to you. You wrote that you would change in an instant if you knew you would not lose any customers, we have all had those thoughts and forgive me without doing a poll most would not go back to ladder work.
Happy new year to you though
Art

Jackal

« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2011, 01:03:08 pm »
thanks for writing it slowly it's really made me understand you more,your so wise  ;D

andyjm1

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2011, 01:25:36 pm »
All my customers don't love wfp. I've lost customers because they don't like it, but fortunately I've found enough that do.  :)
Some are actually OAP'S who are usually in during the day.

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2011, 02:34:16 pm »
 ;D ;D

Londoner

« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2011, 09:12:40 pm »

i been thinking lately that there are a lot of obsesive health and safety ppl on here.

Thats me! I would even stretch it to coward and not be offended. Its not the fall its the ground that hurts. Been there, not going back for another try. You can do whatever you like, but why would you want to? Do you think you are immortal? Are you partial to hospital food? Think crutches are a fashion accessory? Got hung up on spiderman movies? what make you think its cool?

bobby p

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2011, 09:23:40 pm »
vince, hows the dog walkin biz going these days ? 

i had a customer of mine ask me  to  get rid of her basset hound on the A12 as its vicious . i replied how much (only joking)

Londoner

« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2011, 09:53:07 pm »
vince, hows the dog walkin biz going these days ?  

/quote]

My son's home from Uni at the moment and is doing a few. Had a woman pointed out to me a couple of weeks ago by another dog walker, they said she charges £18 a dog and she had three! She wasn't even walking them. She walked 50yds into the park and was throwing a ball with one of those throwing sticks and the dogs were running back and forwards retrieving them. I think its a great business with potential. £18 is the highest price I have heard so far. £54 an hour for chucking a few balls woundn't break my heart.

I am still "considering my options" on it. I know three or four dog walkers now and they all seem fully occupied.

Oh yes, and if you were that way inclined the opportunities for meeting women is amazing! Have a dog or two with you and they all stop to chat. Not that I am that way inclined.

John F

« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2011, 09:59:00 pm »
hey vince are you mutley crew in pinner? just curios.

Londoner

« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2011, 10:04:29 pm »
hey vince are you mutley crew in pinner? just curios.

No, thats not me thats one of the ones I know. We don't advertise on the website I think you got that off. Big operation though, they seem to be really busy. That website generates a lot of work from what I can see. I have got it noted. The ones that my son does are all customers off the window cleaning round by word of mouth. Until my son finishes Uni its not going anywhere but if he can't get a job (and who can?) it stands a fair chance of becoming a viable option for him rather than me, but who knows?

John F

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2011, 10:12:28 pm »
looks like a good earner to me.

Londoner

« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2011, 10:27:47 pm »
looks like a good earner to me.

Where are you John?

John F

« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2011, 11:01:50 pm »