Mike #1

Re: winter tyres
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 07:41:21 pm »
Read an article in the november issue  4x4 magazine , and winter tyres will now last a lot longer now than the softer compound used in the past,   It is possible to run winter tyres throughout the year .

Winter tyre treads work very differently to the  standard  tyre and treads   which means a different type of handling in varying conditions and it may be that you need to inform your insurance company .

Most know how awkward insurance companies can be and the last thing you need is an insurance company wriggling out of claim because of something minor ,

I would phone Insurance  if i was fitting winter tyres .  MIKE

Steve_c

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 08:56:43 pm »
Talking to the insurance loss adjuster in my road, he Tell's me that lots of claims will not pay out if you or your employee has an accident on site during adverse weather. So why would you pay money out fitting winter tyres. Granted you might get to your job but if your doing domestic i dont think the customer would like you round as i found out last year and the year before.  A Commercial me and the BFG were doing  last year in very cold weather, water freezing on the glass ( one Cold one Thermopure) rock salted the car park stair wells entrances. The BFG went over on is ankle and twisted it big time, Is it worth it? Two weeks later the temperature went up to +10. I really do wonder if we will get snow this year?

Scrimble

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 09:12:23 pm »
i've got my set of winter tyres falken hs439's on a set of steels ready for the cold weather

alanwilson

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 10:29:23 pm »
got halfway down this thread and couldn't be bothered reading anymore.

AS - our vans have winter tyres on all year round, they last nearly as long as normal tyres but grip much better in the wet and work fantastically well in the snow AND ice.  Get them fitted.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 10:35:03 pm »
i dont see the point as all my work is within an 8 mile area.i did get a new tyre fitted yesterday.re mould for £20! ;) ;D ;D

we might not get any snow and ice at all this year and even if we did i probably wouldnt work in it if it was that bad that normal tyres would be a hazard! ;D ;D

i can understand if you live in a rural area and your work is miles away though.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

bobplum

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 10:48:18 pm »
I DONT GO OUT stay at home ???

bobby p

Re: winter tyres New
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 10:50:39 pm »
my brother once chanced upon a winter tyre made by NITTO .  the rubber was so hard it never wore out ,looked brand new always ,i think it was harder than the road itself!

. downside was  it  had terrible grip as you went round corners