Scrimble

winter tyres
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:21:48 pm »
who else on here is fitting winter tyres onto there van this winter?? got a set of steel wheels with my winter tyres now just waiting for the temp to drop so i can fit them

Re: winter tyres
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 01:28:10 pm »
the bloke who sold be my new 17s suggested I keep the 15 inch alloys for winter wheels. tyres need changing tho and don't know if can be bothered, is it really necessary?

Darranvps

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 01:39:03 pm »
Already done em.
Absolutely essential to fit them - if everyone fit them the country wouldn't grind to a halt in 1cm of snow, making us all look like the CLOWNS of europe!

TomCrowther

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 01:42:11 pm »
Watch out for the insurance companies. I read a few weeks ago that they view fitting of winter tyres as a modification and if you don't inform them and you make a claim, they won't pay. I wouldn't put anything past those scumbags.  >:(

Halfadaylee

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 02:27:52 pm »
apparently a roof rack/bars is also a modification

John F

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:18:23 pm »
Already done em.
Absolutely essential to fit them - if everyone fit them the country wouldn't grind to a halt in 1cm of snow, making us all look like the CLOWNS of europe!

thats right. i fitted them for the last few yeras and its a difference like day and night in snow. also rubber reacts differently under 7c and winter tyres are softer so give better grip in low temps and wet. ive got them already fitted.

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 03:49:34 pm »
I must be honest I am seriously looking at a set of winter tyres - I am not going through the nonsense of last winter again.
Also I think part of the problem is the average driver does not know how to drive in snow and ice. Education is also part of the answer.
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 04:47:56 pm »
there's no point in you being able to drive regardless of conditions, and being all kitted out if the thousand people gridlocked in front of you can't hack it!

I'm getting a set of snow chains for my 4x4, but I do 70 mile mainly motorway driving in my van for window cleaning every day, winter tyres would wear thru like nobodies business!

John F

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 05:00:26 pm »
there's no point in you being able to drive regardless of conditions, and being all kitted out if the thousand people gridlocked in front of you can't hack it!

I'm getting a set of snow chains for my 4x4, but I do 70 mile mainly motorway driving in my van, winter tyres would wear thru like nobodies business!

look mate, i drive with winter tyres and they last on my car for over 25000 miles. i dont know where you read stuff like that or who told you that story down the boozer, but they are talking out their hat.
it may be that when it snows that the others on the road get stuck and you get stuck because the roads are full of people using summer tyres. but if you drive in winter and its wet or icy or below 7c, then your winter tyres will grip better and give you better braking distance.
you dont have to believe this. maybe you think its all rubbish and dont matter to british drivers, but when youre sitting on a slight hill at 2 in the morning and you cant get moving because your tyres wont grip, just remember this thread on CIU  ;D,ibefore you think im having a pop at you, just read what you posted snow chains will rip the crap out of your 4x4 tyres over a very short period of time. No good to you if as you say, everyone is gridlocked infront of you.

all the tyre companies are wrong. Every level headed window cleaner knows that winter tyres are a load of crap. the RAC an AA have no idea about winter tyres. If you want the truth, ask a window cleaner.

i love this place.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 05:15:28 pm »
lol ginger Kate! if you can hear me from your high horse....:.  :o

snow chains would be used only for hard, compacted snow for low speeds and short distances, like that hill at 2am u mention, not for ripping up the motorway. and if you remember, or were stuck in the recent snow 'blizzards' of recent winters, you will know that most people were stuck in half an inch of snow, while several miles ahead a jack knifed lorry or accident caused miles of gridlock. at least with chains and a 4x4 can hit the verge or fields or central reservation even!

and if It's that bad, I sure as hell won't b cleaning windows anyway! I'll be in that jack knifed lorry blocking the road ahead of you!  :D 8)

John F

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 05:22:41 pm »
lol ginger Kate! if you can hear me from your high horse....:.  :o

snow chains would be used only for hard, compacted snow for low speeds and short distances, like that hill at 2am u mention, not for ripping up the motorway. and if you remember, or were stuck in the recent snow 'blizzards' of recent winters, you will know that most people were stuck in half an inch of snow, while several miles ahead a jack knifed lorry or accident caused miles of gridlock. at least with chains and a 4x4 can hit the verge or fields or central reservation even!

and if It's that bad, I sure as hell won't b cleaning windows anyway! I'll be in that jack knifed lorry blocking the road ahead of you!  :D 8)

so you do feel as if im attacking you and feel the need to justify your post. ok. so when there is an accident infront of you on a duel carriageway or matorway, you will put snow chains on and use a field or central reservation to get past and as you drive by the police at the scene you will wave and smile!! i know you will!! ;D all im trying to say is that when its 2 in the morning or even 6 in the morning and not many drivers around and youre on a slight hill and cant move, remember this thread.

now if you still feel attacked. tough titty  ;D youre right, the AA and RAC are all wrong. summer tyres or winter tyres, it makes no difference. youre right. have a great winter.  ;D

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 05:40:38 pm »
lol ginger Kate! if you can hear me from your high horse....:.  :o

and if It's that bad, I sure as hell won't b cleaning windows anyway! I'll be in that jack knifed lorry blocking the road ahead of you!  :D 8)

so you do feel as if im attacking you and feel the need to justify your post. ok. so when there is an accident infront of you on a duel carriageway or matorway, you will put snow chains on and use a field or central reservation to get past and as you drive by the police at the scene you will wave and smile!! i know you will!! ;D all im trying to say is that when its 2 in the morning or even 6 in the morning and not many drivers around and youre on a slight hill and cant move, remember this thread.

now if you still feel attacked. tough titty  ;D . youre right, the AA and RAC are all wrong. summer tyres or winter tyres, it makes no difference. youre right. have a great winter.  ;D
[/b]

dont feel attacked, just dont like people taking what I say out of context!  which is why will justify anything i say if i think someone has got wrong end of stick, or misreading or misinterpreting what i said my opnion is, not because its a personal attack!!  ;)

i certainly didnt say that any organisation is wrong, perhaps you should re read my comments, lol.  from my experience, people with "mud pluggers" or similar tyres wear out extremely quickly on dry tarmac, particularly at higher motorway speeds.  Maybe they officially arent supposed to wear out, i dont know.  All i know from my experience/friends experience they tend to.  And when traffic is gridlocked, i was light heartedly joking about hitting the central reservation, but the biggest problem is other drivers, with or without the correct equipment.  I have been in a loaded artic going down roads where car drivers and 4x4 drivers have just panicked and locked up and hit someone/something, that happens on a motorway and we are all stopping.

for your clafirication, and in case i came accross wrong in previous comments, Im not saying they are not a good idea, or dont help, for sure they do. But for my regular journey, and the fact that i have a chunky 4x4 that i will use if i have to go out when its that bad, i dont think its worth putting them onto my van.

Now, just waiting for your hormones to find something in here to pick up on......oh, and im not attacking you here either, just making an observation ;D

ps yes when im stuck at the bottom of a one in 15 slope spinning hopelessly, i will think of you.  It is amazing how little a slope it takes when the wet white stuff is around to stop you moving

John F

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 05:50:55 pm »
 whatever you say. and you were only joking, and you drive a big lorry. yawn

when my central heating breaks down, i call a heating engineer and not a dentist. when i want to know about winter tyres i dont ask some bloke down the pub or some bloke who cleans windows and drives on the curb or central reservation at accident scenes.

the problem when it snows in britain is the roads are clogged up with big lorry drivers and chunks who think winter tyres are a waste of time.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 05:53:13 pm »
whatever you say. and you were only joking, and you drive a big lorry. yawn

when my central heating breaks down, i call a heating engineer and not a dentist. when i want to know about winter tyres i dont ask some bloke down the pub or some bloke who cleans windows and drives on the curb or central reservation at accident scenes.

deleted as irelevant

the problem when it snows in britain is the roads are clogged up with big lorry drivers and chunks who think winter tyres are a waste of time.

a little more time reading other peoples posts, and a little less time jumping onto your jumped up horse, and you might be able to answer the issues being discusses, and perhaps be able to back track a little less with insults  :P
while trying to keep it on subject, and be rational and non emotional (look it up online) should lorries be made to have winter tyres on too then?  some countries they do, where they have more snow and its more worthwhile.  Maybe theres a reason for it not being law here........despite the thousands of miles they do every winter!  my trhought, im not saying i agree with it or anything before you get all menopausal on me again!

John F

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 05:56:18 pm »
yeah maybe there is. you seem to think winter tyres are a waste of time though. so do millions of others in britain. you can always find these people when it snows. they are in traffic jams or hospitals.

John F

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 06:03:46 pm »
look mate if you want to post and expect an answer then it would help if you would stop adjusting and adding to the post you make. i find myself answering your point only to find youve added to it or adjusted it to fit the mood youre in at that moment.

calm down and decide what you want to say and post it. its not timed and its not a race to see who can type faster. we are discussing the practicalities of winter tyres. i didnt say youve got a terminal illness or threaten to burn your house down. calm down and take your time.

maybe later you can tell us all some really intersting stories from your lorry driving adventures and how the food is at fat stans cafe on the a13 or something. yawn

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 06:12:32 pm »
look mate if you want to post and expect an answer then it would help if you would stop adjusting and adding to the post you make. i find myself answering your point only to find youve added to it or adjusted it to fit the mood youre in at that moment.

calm down and decide what you want to say and post it. its not timed and its not a race to see who can type faster. we are discussing the practicalities of winter tyres. i didnt say youve got a terminal illness or threaten to burn your house down. calm down and take your time.

maybe later you can tell us all some really intersting stories from your lorry driving adventures and how the food is at fat stans cafe on the a13 or something. yawn

apologies if i have confused you with any edits.... i was trying to reply to you on a mobile, im home now!!

Thanks for the comments about the a13, i really wont tho, i might upset you, or at least give you something to start to cry over!

No more edits.......but feel free to quote what i say so you can pull it out of context in every way you can!

And just to clarify, in answer to your previous comment, which i will quote!:
yeah maybe there is. you seem to think winter tyres are a waste of time though. so do millions of others in britain. you can always find these people when it snows. they are in traffic jams or hospitals.

i have not anywhere here said that winter tyres are a waste of time, and dont mean to come accross as such.  For me, i cant see the point, as if the weather is that bad i wont be taking the van out, as i have a fully equipped (fairly fully, in case you decide to pick up on this one too!).  So for me i deem it to be an unnecessary expense and hassle due to my location and travel circumstances.  That is not to say they are not worth having, if i didnt plod up the motorway for nearly 35 miles each way, then i would have them im sure, just for the eventuality that i need them!

Now for some trucking experiences.... joking!!

ps i felt the need to answer as i didnt want people assuming your assumptions/apparent quotations from me was accurate.  Mud sticks........he that hangs around the stupid ones wont do so well......as the proverb goes!

Pps looking thru your -previous comments in other topics, you appear quite rational, normal even!  dont know whats changed!!

sherco

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 06:12:51 pm »
Watch out for the insurance companies. I read a few weeks ago that they view fitting of winter tyres as a modification and if you don't inform them and you make a claim, they won't pay. I wouldn't put anything past those scumbags.  >:(

The tyres will make know difference as this is not a modification. If it did then if you bought a new van with say Dunlop tyres you would need to keep Dunlop tyres on the van for the rest of its life. If you fit bigger or wider tyres then this is a modification..Spoke to my insurance company last year about this, they wish everybody fitted winter tyres, safe them, us a fortune in crashes!!
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

John F

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 06:18:46 pm »
i appear rational?? now im worried  ;D this is a wind up mate.  ;) im just waiting for the football to start so came on here for a spot of trolling!!  ;D

dont worry though.some mod will ban me soon so ill be on my way  ;D

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 06:22:32 pm »
:D  been waiting for the banning too but unless this is a parallel universe then i havent yet been done!!

Perhaps its cus we havent been insulting the sponsors of CleanItUp!!  ;D

Anybody else had experience of winter tyres then?  I am not against the idea, and if somebody could come up with a rational argument   ;) i could be won over.   Argument as in points for, not critisim against uk truckers  ::)

Will have to look into them, just still think its not worth it so much for me, will have to look at some reviews online.  Or ask the lads at the pub that i apparently get all my info from  :o

Mike #1

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 07:41:21 pm »
Read an article in the november issue  4x4 magazine , and winter tyres will now last a lot longer now than the softer compound used in the past,   It is possible to run winter tyres throughout the year .

Winter tyre treads work very differently to the  standard  tyre and treads   which means a different type of handling in varying conditions and it may be that you need to inform your insurance company .

Most know how awkward insurance companies can be and the last thing you need is an insurance company wriggling out of claim because of something minor ,

I would phone Insurance  if i was fitting winter tyres .  MIKE

Steve_c

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 08:56:43 pm »
Talking to the insurance loss adjuster in my road, he Tell's me that lots of claims will not pay out if you or your employee has an accident on site during adverse weather. So why would you pay money out fitting winter tyres. Granted you might get to your job but if your doing domestic i dont think the customer would like you round as i found out last year and the year before.  A Commercial me and the BFG were doing  last year in very cold weather, water freezing on the glass ( one Cold one Thermopure) rock salted the car park stair wells entrances. The BFG went over on is ankle and twisted it big time, Is it worth it? Two weeks later the temperature went up to +10. I really do wonder if we will get snow this year?

Scrimble

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 09:12:23 pm »
i've got my set of winter tyres falken hs439's on a set of steels ready for the cold weather

alanwilson

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 10:29:23 pm »
got halfway down this thread and couldn't be bothered reading anymore.

AS - our vans have winter tyres on all year round, they last nearly as long as normal tyres but grip much better in the wet and work fantastically well in the snow AND ice.  Get them fitted.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 10:35:03 pm »
i dont see the point as all my work is within an 8 mile area.i did get a new tyre fitted yesterday.re mould for £20! ;) ;D ;D

we might not get any snow and ice at all this year and even if we did i probably wouldnt work in it if it was that bad that normal tyres would be a hazard! ;D ;D

i can understand if you live in a rural area and your work is miles away though.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

bobplum

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 10:48:18 pm »
I DONT GO OUT stay at home ???

bobby p

Re: winter tyres New
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 10:50:39 pm »
my brother once chanced upon a winter tyre made by NITTO .  the rubber was so hard it never wore out ,looked brand new always ,i think it was harder than the road itself!

. downside was  it  had terrible grip as you went round corners