windowswashed

Re: Gardiners given me the hump
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2020, 09:28:04 pm »
I had a calorifier tank built for me using stainless steel. I had the water from the radiator cycling in then out of the calorifier twice before going back to the radiator. I could control the heat using a variable heater control just before the pressure release valve. I had water cycling from the WFP tank through the calorifier tank and a bypass back into the tank when the flow of water would be turned off at the pole so the pump would continuously cyle until I turned it off at the water flow controller back in the van. I would run the calorifier tank  system on my way to work and leave it on for a couple hours and then shut it off for the rest of the day until the drive home then switch it back on so the small amount of water stored in the calorifier tank would be boiling hot so when I transferred cold water from the storage tank in my garage mixed with the boiling water it would raise the overall heat. I went to the trouble of going overboard insulating my WFP tank and the hoses running under the floorpan to the radiator otherwise a lot of heat would be wasted. Had to use radiator hose for water going in and out of calorifier tank as the water was 90 to 100 degrees going in and coming out of the calorifier otherwise food grade hose would just split above 80 degrees. the reason I stopped using it was because I downsized vans to a transporter and couldn't carry the extra weight without being to near the weight limit. The system worked ideal. Only flaw I had was using sureflo pumps couldn't handle the heat and swapped over to flojet pumps which could handle the heat with no problems.

P @ F

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2020, 09:53:39 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
Even that has gone over my head   :P

How did you get the water to cycle twice before going back to the radiator , this is what I cant get my head around ?

I was going to take a feed off the heated water from my exchanger and loop it back into the feed (cold) water entering the heat exchanger with a non return on it , but wouldn’t the system then equalise and keep the non return open ?
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

NWH

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2020, 09:54:26 pm »
The extreme brushes are the perfect weight for the pole they were designed for but they do not last with hot water,it’s not putting the supplier down by saying this Alex is you could say a pioneer in our industry but this and a few of the others should not come with a temperature chart they should come with a warning that they will deform in shape and be ruined in days if used with hot water lol.
I’ve used the DuPont with hot water and it lasts just about as long as you’d expect a brush to last with very hot water,I will dismiss the red bass broom because imo that’s not a usable brush for me anyway it’s far to stiff imo only no feel over the glass you want to keep scrubbing with it because it feels as though it’s not cleaned.

NWH

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2020, 09:58:18 pm »
Tucker used DuPont bristles they were ahead of the times imo,20 years on with the right splay like in the Gardiner brush although I’d like to see it not quiet so splayed personally,is almost the perfect brush.
If that could be modelled into an extreme version with hot water longevity he would have cracked it imo.

windowswashed

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2020, 10:05:45 pm »
Calorifier:

The water from radiator would go in one protruding connection tube and come out the opposite end then go back in a second inlet tube and out of the second outlet tube back to the radiator. The reason I did this was to send as much heat through the calorifier tank as possible.

The water from the WFP tank would be pumped through a totally separate connection tube and out the opposite end where it would be diverted two ways one would be back to the WFP tank when the water flow at pole was shut off  and when brush used on glass would be running straight to the pole.

Trying to keep things simple I fitted a 2kw immersion heater for the sake of it if ever needed but never used it as had enough heat using radiator warmth to heat the calorifier tank. Insulating the tank is something I do this day with any tank I fit as it saves heating water unnecessarily.

Had to insulate radiator hose from radiator to calorifier tank and back to radiator otherwise a lot of heat would be wasted and it did make a significant difference.

windowswashed

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2020, 10:13:43 pm »
Tucker used DuPont bristles they were ahead of the times imo,20 years on with the right splay like in the Gardiner brush although I’d like to see it not quiet so splayed personally,is almost the perfect brush.
If that could be modelled into an extreme version with hot water longevity he would have cracked it imo.

Even the original Tucker Dupont bristles would gradually lose their shape using very hot water but not as quickly as most other brushes. the new Tucker brushes don't come anywhere close to resembling the original Tucker brushes. The reason the original Tucker brushes retained their shape the best was because more bristles were compacted tighter which helped to keep the rigidity.

P @ F

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2020, 10:15:24 pm »
Ok , so it was in effect 2 coils through 1 tank , that clears it up then !
So am I right in assuming that my recirc with a non return would not work ?
I would have to turn flow up to provide the oomph to run the recirc which would mean cooler water on the first pass , thus not really gaining anything in the long run ?

windowswashed

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2020, 10:20:11 pm »
Ok , so it was in effect 2 coils through 1 tank , that clears it up then !
So am I right in assuming that my recirc with a non return would not work ?
I would have to turn flow up to provide the oomph to run the recirc which would mean cooler water on the first pass , thus not really gaining anything in the long run ?

I believe you live in Plymouth, I'm normally visiting a friend once or twice a month, could always pop over and have a look at your heater set up. I haven't really followed your project in great depth, just glanced over the set up on you tube briefly so couldn't honestly give you an honest answer without watching it a couple times over to get a true idea. Happy to pop over and swap ideas with you sometime if you want, Wayne

windowswashed

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2020, 10:22:23 pm »
The slower you can circulate water the hotter it will get. You can only circulate as slow as you need to use the flow of water for work required.

P @ F

« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2020, 10:27:24 pm »
That would be spot on Wayne , my number is 07976 229120 , I’m always about so whenever you know you are going to be local give me a shout and we can sort a meet out  !

Maybe squeeze some more heat to give Grippa a run for their money  ;D ;D ;D

Rich

windowswashed

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2020, 10:31:02 pm »
Your idea is similar to mine and it's a cracking idea. I did my idea about 14 years ago now. Happy to meet up one Sunday 07511 700754

P @ F

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2020, 10:32:07 pm »
The slower you can circulate water the hotter it will get. You can only circulate as slow as you need to use the flow of water for work required.
Yes , that’s where I have been lucky as I am right on the limit of it all being worthwhile for the single user who doesn’t chuck 5 LPM at the glass !

windowswashed

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2020, 10:46:41 pm »
;D ;D ;D
Even that has gone over my head   :P

How did you get the water to cycle twice before going back to the radiator , this is what I cant get my head around ?

I was going to take a feed off the heated water from my exchanger and loop it back into the feed (cold) water entering the heat exchanger with a non return on it , but wouldn’t the system then equalise and keep the non return open ?

Looping the water back into the heat exchanger would be a waste of time as the water would more than likely lose that gained heat or even if it did work it would be very minimal for a lot of extra wok and not worth the hassle.

The reason I looped my water in through two heat exchangers was maximum heat was going in the first time around and when it came out from the first heat exchanger there was still sufficient heat from the outlet to run it through a second heat exchanger to maximise drawing off heat so it would return to the radiator much cooler which is the same principle of how radiators work in the first place.  I had fins built all around the heat exchangers inside the calorifier tank so that helped to dissipitate the heat efficiently in the calorifier tank thus heating the water most efficiently.

NWH

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2020, 09:02:09 am »
That’s what I’ve always said about a brush needing to be packed with bristles in order to keep its shape,on the extreme and others in the range you can almost hold the brush up and count the bristles by eye once they go out of shape you’ve lost the brush with that few bristles.

Dave Willis

« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2020, 07:55:15 pm »
Can’t though, to stuff more bristles in you’d need a bigger stock so then you’d have an Ultimate brush!
They all go out of shape even the Dupont ones and that’s with warm water. I’ve never worn a brush out yet. I usually change them when I get bored or they splay a bit.
Using a stiff Extreme sill brush today because it’s the only one that clears the algae out of the frame joints this weather. Chatters a bit on the glass so might try a medium and a flocked next.
Just can’t see the point in really hot water, the expense is ridiculous.

P @ F

« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2020, 11:17:53 pm »
That’s where my heater comes in 40 at the brush tops and able to use medium brushes

Just saying  ;D ;D ;D