johnny bravo

Back Pain starting to creep in , hope its only that
« on: March 31, 2019, 03:03:51 pm »
the  pasy 8 monthsor so ive been starting to get twinges in lower back,  and lower sides.     it felt it was something else, internal,    too much to worry about.
went to docs,    lower wear and tear on spine she says, im 55 now and when things like this take a hold its worrying,      as you think you are invincible/      waterfed pole most days now.      im going to have to stop taking newbies on.           
Poles ,   im using SLX Poles, 27.  22.          Would the Lightest Pole really make any difference.   
Any one in this situation ,   did you change  SLX  to a lighter pole.  Did it have any difference apart from your Wallet.
Thanks for replying if any
Still go to gym regular, no lower back workout though.  steer away from that

jk999

Re: Back Pain starting to creep in , hope its only that
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 04:55:01 pm »
I have been having back pain for years but the last year has been bad im 51 this year and finally found the problem i have a lower collapsed vertebra need to have a spinal fusion which im not looking forward to 😔

wayne m

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 05:04:06 pm »
I’m 37 and hips and knees were getting bad from ladder work since 17 but when I swapped to wfp it’s now my shoulder and back and now have my back done every 8-10 weeks to keep on top of it. I was using a slx 25 every day but decided I needed to do as much as I could to prevent back problems and got the new phantom hi-mod 25 and it definitely made a difference and the slx now feels like a brick compared to the lightness of the lightweight pole so in m6 opinion definitely worth getting the lightest pole possible.

dd

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 05:24:23 pm »
I am 54, back OK so far. I do yoga 2 or 3 times a week after work (just at home) as  preventative measure. Might be worth trying some yoga in addition to your gym work.

Only other exercise I do is play tennis.

zesty

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 05:24:54 pm »
I don’t think you can put a price on your health, so buy the absolute best pole you can.

I use xtreme poles, and would never ever go back to slx. So much easier to work with, the body will thank you later. 100% recommend getting one.

It makes sense to me to use the lightest stiffest pole you can anyway, regardless of back ache etc.

It’s the tool that we Graft with, so unlike a van, you may as well get the best. Get on that gardiners site and order one now 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 05:59:34 pm »
I made the move to an Xtreme 22 and Xtreme brushes two and a half years back. It's made a world of difference to me. I still have an SLX25 which I occasionally use but I can really tell the difference after just a short while using it. They may not feel vastly different in weight but when used extended there is a world of difference due to leverage and rigidity. I can even tell the difference between using the 26cm and 35cm brushes.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

johnny bravo

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 06:11:29 pm »
mixed reviews on the phantom,      extreme a bit cheaper

johnny bravo

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 06:12:39 pm »
looked on wcw   and they charge for extras like bush etc, all adds up

ill have to invest in one or the other

johnny bravo

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 06:14:43 pm »
whats the cheapest site to look at the phantom poles with everything added on ready 4 use

johnny bravo

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 06:21:48 pm »
25 extreme £650
22                     £614           all included  delivered

RPCCS

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 06:45:44 pm »
I think back pain is part of window cleaning unfortunately. I get it now and ahain, not bad, but I broke my back in 3 places about 11 years avo. The most recent thing has been neck ache, which jas obviously been brought on by looking up for so long. Im coming up for 52, . I visited an osteopath about 5 times and each time had my neck clicked and upper spine pulled, and its improved 100%.
Been money well spent.
Cheers Rich

lal

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 06:59:21 pm »
 Hi Johnny, couple of years ago i was getting uncomfortable pain in my shoulder, long story short, had an MRI done,
 which showed i had age related wear & tear on the Tendon i think it was, my every day pole was a 25ft SLX, i ordered 
 an 18ft Extreme straight away, you certainly feel the difference in weight of the pole when working, after a few months my
 shoulder pain disappeared and hasn't come back fortunately, the Extreme is my every day pole now, 99% of my work is
 2 storey houses, on the odd occasion i might get a 3 story house, then i get the 25ft SLX out, its only occasionally, so i can
 live with that, but god it feels so heavy now compared to the Extreme, my advice is definitely buy the lightest pole
 you can afford.

All the best
Larry

p1w1

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 07:07:32 pm »
the  pasy 8 monthsor so ive been starting to get twinges in lower back,  and lower sides.     it felt it was something else, internal,    too much to worry about.
went to docs,    lower wear and tear on spine she says, im 55 now and when things like this take a hold its worrying,      as you think you are invincible/      waterfed pole most days now.      im going to have to stop taking newbies on.           
Poles ,   im using SLX Poles, 27.  22.          Would the Lightest Pole really make any difference.   
Any one in this situation ,   did you change  SLX  to a lighter pole.  Did it have any difference apart from your Wallet.
Thanks for replying if any
Still go to gym regular, no lower back workout though.  steer away from that
Do you lift your hose reel in and out of the van or is it fixed?

wayne m

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 07:33:27 pm »
I got my phantom hi-mod on Black Friday from wcw and think it’s brilliant with no problems at all and like I’ve said before I treat it like my slx so far so good. The phantom is slightly lighter than the extreme but more money. I like the new clamp system and also no glue needed if clamp needs replacing. I still use gardiner brush heads as I use a swivel neck every day and like the ultimate flocked but now use the ultimate DuPont. I tried the extreme brush but couldn’t get on with it so still use the dupont I know it’s heavier but still lighter than the superlite.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 08:33:36 pm »
I'm pushing 60 and about 2 years ago felt shoulder and neck pain somewhat. I had used an SLX22 as my everyday pole and I then changed to the top 4 sections of an SLX25 (So 20ft but only 4 sections compared with the SLX22's 5 sections.)

2 years ago I changed to the top four sections of an Xtreme 25 so an "Xtreme 20".

This is much lighter than Xtreme 22 (5 section) and only about 10% heavier than an Xtreme 18 (4 section) while being only 4 sections and 2ft longer it reaches more stuff.

The neck pain and shoulder pain have disappeared and I do more in a day.

However it is not as robust as an SLX so treat it with care when closing windows or through juliette balconies. It will wear quicker too.

In the next post is the history of my Xtreme 20's.
It's a game of three halves!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 08:42:22 pm »
In March 2017 I bought the top four sections of an Xtreme25 and used it as my everyday pole. In May I tugged it over while it was leaning against a wall and broke the top three inches off the top section. So from that point I suppose it was an Xtreme 19 and three quarters.  ;D

In October 2018 I bought new clamps as I wanted to extend it's life over the 2 year norm I hear posted about on here.

In 2018 my Xtreme 47 (older stepped version, about 5 years old)  I broke the rather worn top section and so lost about 18" and then in January broke the next section and repaired it with the remains of the top section. As my 47 only comes out about twice a week I lived with it.

Then for various reasons I wanted to spend a bit of money before my tax year end and my Xtreme 20 was getting tired but probably had another six months life in it so I did a typical cheapskate Gold swap around after emailing Alex at Gardiners about options.

Upon his suggestion I took the top three sections of my everyday Xtreme "20" and replaced the top 3 sections on my stepped Xtreme 47. This now has a new lease of life and as the top sections are no longer stepped it is a better pole.

Then I bought 3 new top sections of an Xtreme 25and put them in the base section I already had which clamp was only 6 months old.

So I have a virtually brand new Xtreme "20" (except the bottom section - which has a newish clamp on it) and so failing catastrophe I have another two years plus to hope for with it.

Dry Clean

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 10:37:07 pm »
Compact domestic window cleaning was my problem, if its not being able to get far enough back from the property as not to have to look up and cause neck strain it was constantly having to bend down to free snagged hoses causing back pain.
I now do mostly large stand alone properties, commercial  and so on, I rarely get pains now, what's the bet after this statement I pull my back out tomorrow.

brianbarber

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 10:47:37 pm »
Had shoulder pain since 2010 varying degrees.
Due to a pinched nerve in my neck
Started crap poles...that’s when I had first severe attack, literally in agony came on in an hour.
After diagnosis bought slx , huge difference
Now I use extreme
I have 18 ft for normal houses and a 30 ft for town houses.
I will always use shortest possible for each job, even one Velux I will take both poles out.
Ideal set up extremes, 18,25,35
Obviously each individuals work May or may not warrant this.
Also, standing  as far back as you can
With these equations, once you’ve got the best gear, if you still in trouble you need to look at the time pie.
Reduce hours or take a little help from a part timer.
Or raise prices and lose a few PITA jobs.

That’s my take on it,

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 08:02:21 am »
Had shoulder pain since 2010 varying degrees.
Due to a pinched nerve in my neck
Started crap poles...that’s when I had first severe attack, literally in agony came on in an hour.
After diagnosis bought slx , huge difference
Now I use extreme
I have 18 ft for normal houses and a 30 ft for town houses.
I will always use shortest possible for each job, even one Velux I will take both poles out.
Ideal set up extremes, 18,25,35
Obviously each individuals work May or may not warrant this.
Also, standing  as far back as you can
With these equations, once you’ve got the best gear, if you still in trouble you need to look at the time pie.
Reduce hours or take a little help from a part timer.
Or raise prices and lose a few PITA jobs.

That’s my take on it,

Mr B

A little comment on the bit in red - in Brian's case this is understandable - however if the problem is neck pain then  a longer (of the lightest type of pole you can get) pole allowing you to stand back might be better so you don't keep forcing your neck up at an angle.

NWH

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 10:21:08 am »
A must is an extreme pole or similar the second but imo the biggest improvement you’ll see is if you switch to an electric reel,this will improve you’re back and working day 10 fold.
These 2 combined with hot water is the best you can do to help yourself,the hot water and a very light pole will surprise you at how little you have to scrub a window to get it clean.
I found when I was getting lower back and shoulder problems it was purely down to manually reeling in hose upright or bent over.