John Mart

Re: Broken window
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 08:08:48 am »
If your cleaner says he's sure he didn't do it then I would back him to the hilt.
If he starts giving it "hmmm, might have" or the corner of the brush might "have" ... then I'd stump up.
He's broken a couple of pots before and has told me. It isn't the sort of working environment where people get "hauled over the coals" for an accident. Deege's post sums it up. It's on a very good estate and we do 4 or 5 in a row (one of which was a recommendation by the broken window house). I believe the owner is genuine in thinking we'd broken the window, but I don't believe he is correct.

Jonny 87

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 08:39:15 am »
It’s about £60 to sort a pane of glass on a standard new build.

It’s mad to go through insurance.

The insurance company may also deny it was your fault, which will leave a bad taste in the mouth for the customer.

If a roofer has caused it, then you’d be able to see an impact point on the glass.

If it comes from the frame it’s like a problem with temperature. Hot inside room, cold weather outside, pop under pressure. Unfortunately it can happen.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Dave Willis

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 08:43:44 am »
Suck it up and move on, it’s only an hours earnings down the pan.

JackieW

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 09:01:46 am »
Is it a larger square shape or long and narrow?

If double glazed is it the inner or outer pane that has cracked?

Was it cold outside and warm inside?

https://www.windowsonlineuk.co.uk/blog/causes-double-glazing-crack/

John Mart

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2019, 09:03:09 am »
Is it a larger square shape or long and narrow?

If double glazed is it the inner or outer pane that has cracked?
Long and narrow and the outer.

JackieW

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 09:07:06 am »
I have a long and narrow top opener that cracked as I happened to be looking out the window.

Googled  the answer.

It was cold outside, long narrow double glazed and it was January the peak time for this to happen. Not saying that is what happened with yours but a possibility.

Show the customer all the other factors that could have caused the crack as opposed to your cleaner cracking it with his brush.

Slacky

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 09:33:50 am »
Dont deny it, dont talk to the customer. Just sort it out. You cant prove it wasn't your guy and the custard cant prove it was. But you guy was probably the last person on the glass.

It'll be £60.00. It's pocket money. In the grand scheme of things what's 60 squid these day to us lot?

Do the right thing, be co-operative, don't resist what everyone tells you, just go with the flow. Be nice about it. Repair it, sort it, shake the customers hand and buy them a bunch of flowers for their inconvenience.

John Mart

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2019, 10:44:15 am »
I have a long and narrow top opener that cracked as I happened to be looking out the window.

Googled  the answer.

It was cold outside, long narrow double glazed and it was January the peak time for this to happen. Not saying that is what happened with yours but a possibility.

Show the customer all the other factors that could have caused the crack as opposed to your cleaner cracking it with his brush.
Thanks for that.

John Mart

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 10:46:24 am »
Dont deny it, dont talk to the customer. Just sort it out. You cant prove it wasn't your guy and the custard cant prove it was. But you guy was probably the last person on the glass.

It'll be £60.00. It's pocket money. In the grand scheme of things what's 60 squid these day to us lot?

Do the right thing, be co-operative, don't resist what everyone tells you, just go with the flow. Be nice about it. Repair it, sort it, shake the customers hand and buy them a bunch of flowers for their inconvenience.
There's no way this will be £60 to sort. More like 3 or 4 x £60.

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2019, 02:20:01 pm »
Would work out cheaper to get someone to replace it you will have excess and increased premiums next year.
Spit and polish

tlwcs

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2019, 02:47:06 pm »

I did this with warm water in the week. Sent it to the customer and gave him a couple of options on my insurance replacing it, he said he would deal with it.
I thought I’m going to get shafted and end up paying over the odds for one of his mates to change it.
He rang the next day and told me his wife said it was already cracked, that it wasn’t my fault and not to worry.
In your case I wouldn’t offer to pay anything.
Tony

John Mart

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 11:23:39 am »
Just as a matter of interest. I've spoken to a local supplier who's said they're reinforced security glass on this David Wilson Homes development. In his opinion it would be impossible to break a pane with a water fed pole. He said £200ish to replace and best passed to insurer as the panes are a "nightmare" to remove.

Don Kee

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 03:40:58 pm »
Just as a matter of interest. I've spoken to a local supplier who's said they're reinforced security glass on this David Wilson Homes development. In his opinion it would be impossible to break a pane with a water fed pole. He said £200ish to replace and best passed to insurer as the panes are a "nightmare" to remove.

Test the theory.

Go down to her house and with her next to you, repeatedly keep hitting another of her windows as hard as you can with your wfp and prove it.

Simples.

P @ F

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 07:55:25 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Then call the insurance Co  :D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Frankybadboy

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2019, 07:20:22 pm »
what a load of old tosh  ;D ;D ;D ;D

pop the beading on the inside of the window,measure glass up and the depth of it.put beading back in,take to a glass manufacture get the plane made,fit within 10mins  easy

John Mart

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2019, 07:21:38 pm »
what a load of old tosh  ;D ;D ;D ;D

pop the beading on the inside of the window,measure glass up and the depth of it.put beading back in,take to a glass manufacture get the plane made,fit within 10mins  easy
Not my cup of tea. I’d get someone else to do it.

robbo333

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 07:43:06 pm »
If it's reinforced security glass, then how could you break it with a brush? Sounds odd!

If it's not reinforced security glass, which I doubt (on a first floor DW home!) then just get some alternative quotes to replace it for normal glass and get it sorted.

Your reputation is at stake here! I am guessing you never did it, as your cleaner seems honest. I am also guessing that it's not that expensive to replace, so get some cheaper quotes and just pay for it.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

John Mart

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2019, 08:08:42 pm »
If it's reinforced security glass, then how could you break it with a brush? Sounds odd!

If it's not reinforced security glass, which I doubt (on a first floor DW home!) then just get some alternative quotes to replace it for normal glass and get it sorted.

Your reputation is at stake here! I am guessing you never did it, as your cleaner seems honest. I am also guessing that it's not that expensive to replace, so get some cheaper quotes and just pay for it.
I’ve passed it to the insurance company. I think that’s reasonable. Let them sort it out. I’m sure they’ll pay out.

Getting additional quotes will cause the customer inconvenience and create additional hassle for me. It’s what the insurance is for. It distances me from the problem and is certainly more professional than either a DIY attempt or getting various people in to quote.

I don’t think it’s possible to have broken it with a brush and it was cold water.

robbo333

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2019, 08:20:04 pm »
Fair play.

Sometimes, it's not about the money, or blame...but just getting it sorted without the hassle and the interference with everyday work.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Walter Mitty

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2019, 10:09:34 am »

Test the theory.

Go down to her house and with her next to you, repeatedly keep hitting another of her windows as hard as you can with your wfp and prove it.

Simples.

In fact, keep going around the house with her breaking windows until you find one that doesn't break.  Then you can say it wasn't you.