Darren H

Battery for 2 man system
« on: January 24, 2018, 07:38:27 pm »
I am currently using  just 1 pump and 1 controller and have been running them from my van battery with no problems for the last 7 years but im going to put in another pump and controller in my new van and think i will need to use a leisure battery to run both.

Could anyone recommend a good battery i am hopeing  that if i get a split charge relay as well i wont have to charge  it up i do 30 to 40 miles a day is this realistic.

If i do have to charge is a normal charger ok.

Thanks Darren.

Scrimble

Re: Battery for 2 man system
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 08:13:57 pm »
I use these controllers with the split charge function, very easy to install connect 1 wire (with a fuse) to + side of van battery, and earth the leisure battery to chassis and job done, no need to bench charge,
http://thecleaningwarehouse.co.uk/water-genie-pump-controller-built-in-batt-charger-1353-p.asp

I use 75ah numax leisure batterys, plenty of capacity for 2 man set up
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Leisure-Battery-75Ah-Numax-LV22MF/dp/B003XU3S58/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1516824780&sr=1-10&keywords=numax+battery

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 08:16:44 pm »
I am currently using  just 1 pump and 1 controller and have been running them from my van battery with no problems for the last 7 years but im going to put in another pump and controller in my new van and think i will need to use a leisure battery to run both.

Could anyone recommend a good battery i am hopeing  that if i get a split charge relay as well i wont have to charge  it up i do 30 to 40 miles a day is this realistic.

If i do have to charge is a normal charger ok.

Thanks Darren.

A numax leisure battery 110amph will do you fine IMHO.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV31MF-P3694.html

This is a dual purpose battery so can be used in leisure and/or starter applications. But Numax tell us that window cleaners are battery abusers so our application voids any warranty.
With that said these batteries have served us well beyond our expectations, so I would personally take on the risk.

Even travelling that distance is no guarantee that you won't have to supplementary charge the battery on occassion.  As I have previously stated, our Shurflo pumps draw about 4.5 amps an hour. We estimate that we average about 50% of our day actaully pumping water onto the glass. 6 hours of work = 3 hours each of battery current or 27 amps.

I'm not so sure that a SCR will replenish that every day. If your 30 - 40 miles a day includes idling in traffic jams then the battery will get a little more charge than doing 20 minutes each way of motorway driving.

If you read up on the charging characteristics of batteries you will find that the fuller charged they are the less of a charge they take. Hence the reason why an Australian RV magazine said it would take 750kms of driving to fully charge a flat leisure battery.

If you are going to bench charge then you need the right battery charger. I have successfully used a Numax 10amp leisure battery charger for motor homes. I recently replaced the plug in power cable and a small cooler fan. The cable I had spare and the fan was £2.  I've had the charger for about 8 years.
I used a car battery charger before that and always had leisure battery service issues. I went through a battery every year. Now my batteries last 3 years plus. We have a Numax 85amp battery that was fitted to a single operator van which is 6 years old.

What van have you got? The reason why is that if you have a new generation van with regenerative brake charging then a split charge relay won't work. I hope that helps

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

p1w1

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 08:42:58 pm »
Interesting that controller with built in battery charger http://thecleaningwarehouse.co.uk/water-genie-pump-controller-built-in-batt-charger-1353-p.asp . What would be the difference in that as compared with something like this http://www.simplysplitcharge.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=109_99_118&product_id=42. Will they charge at different rates or is one overall better than the other.
Must admit would be far less hassle putting a thin wire through the van then the thicker ones that come with the vsr.

Scrimble

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 08:46:32 pm »
Spruce I put that up due to my experience, I have 5x vans all kitted out with those battery's and controller so I know they are up to the job.

not all new vans have intelligent alternators, the new fiat doblos are euro 6 and they dont

Darren H

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 08:58:14 pm »
My van is a 2014 toyota proace i don`t think it has a smart alternator.
I like the look of the controller/charger but i already have 2 streamline controllers so it will have to be split charger.

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 09:40:14 pm »
Spruce I put that up due to my experience, I have 5x vans all kitted out with those battery's and controller so I know they are up to the job.

not all new vans have intelligent alternators, the new fiat doblos are euro 6 and they dont

There are a few windies who use 85 amph batteries as 2 man teams so your experience tallies with theirs. No issue at all with the advice you gave.
We had 2 single operator vans with 85 amph batteries and my van is a twin operator with a 110amph battery. The 110 amp just give the user more capacity, thats all.

The one you linked to is fine as they refer to it as a dual purpose battery - deep cycle nad engine starting. It will happily output the required amps to run 2 pumps. Its just that Darren H is going to have to be more vigilent with regard to ensuring his battery is sufficiently charged. Personally, I would always go for more capacity.

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 09:55:57 pm »
I've had a close look at the photos on Purefreedoms website. They seem to be using 110 amp leisure batteries. The bigger system seem to have a 110 amp battery for each pump. But the one photo that has a diesel heater included still has 2 x 110 amph batteries, one for the pumps and the other for the heater.

One photo they show the Durite VSR and on the others they include the new Sterling B2B charger. If the standard Spring controller with battery charging option was good enough then I'm sure they would use that.

To begin with I had a small 15amp split charge relay. I now have an MPower derivative of the Durite unit rated at 140amps using 70 amp cable. On the same battery the charging rate is slightly better using the 70 amp cable, but its only marginal.
However, if there were 2 batteries to charge then the Spring controller wouldn't be suitable. Electric reels, diesel heaters and twin operators require a lot of power a day.

duncan h

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 09:56:49 pm »
Don't buy your battery online. If its faulty, its a pain.
Pay extra and buy from Halfords. They are made by a good company and get good reviews.
When its near end of warranty. Kill it and return to shop. No hassle at all

Jonny 87

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 10:50:43 pm »
Don't buy your battery online. If its faulty, its a pain.
Pay extra and buy from Halfords. They are made by a good company and get good reviews.
When its near end of warranty. Kill it and return to shop. No hassle at all

Nice honest advice their.  :o

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 01:27:00 pm »
I would agree with Spruce and suggest a 110ah battery due to the extra capacity.

Running two pumps will mean a draw of between 4 and 6 amps an hour. An 85 ah will give you about 10 hours use before needing charging a 110 will give closer to 15.

Remember a split relay is only trickle charging the battery. And will not put all the amps used back.

Its likely the battery will need a bench charge once or twice a week. This is also the best way to maintain the lead cells in good condition
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

jonny thompson

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 04:31:51 pm »
I use car battery with 2 pumps and had no problems at all, stick to what’s been good to you

Darren H

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 06:43:02 pm »
I've used my van battery for 7 years no problems so if it would run 2 pumps would save a lot hassle not to mention a few quid.
Might give it a go first and see how it performs.
Do you go many miles.

jonny thompson

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 09:22:15 pm »
No I’m local , do about 10 miles a day, I had more problems when I had a leisure battery,get yourself a good van battery and that should be fine

Scrimble

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 08:22:46 am »
if you have the space and extra capacity then yes the 110 battery would be a safer choice,
my vans are all 1 man with the  occasional 2 man, the van I have with 2 pumps and 2 controllers has a 110 battery.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 09:03:41 am »
A lot of very good advise already. An alternative, and used by ourselves in one of our 2 man vans is this, and its very easy, no split chargers, no double batteries etc etc. Just buy a 'really good' battery for your van. A high end of the market battery from Banner will do the job. We clean schools, 6 hrs pump running with 2 pumps and never have a starting problem. Don't expect to be paying less than £200 for the battery though.

Michael Peterson

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 04:18:19 pm »
110 we use , two eletronic reals and 2 pumps 2 controllers flat out and easily lasts a day ive forgotton to charge it before and it lasts the next too