Rogue Trader

Decent van required
« on: May 04, 2017, 08:47:06 pm »
Need a new van. Want something decent.
 Last 2 were Peugeot experts. Both ok , good size wise for 1 man setups. Bit plasticy though looking fir a bit more quality. Transit custom? Merc vito? Vw Transporter. Comments please!

dazmond

Re: Decent van required
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 10:01:19 pm »
ford connect 240 L2s  are a good size for a sole trader.936kg payload.no problems fitting poles in the back(no cutting holes in the bulkhead)ideal for a 500L tank.if you get the limited its got heated drivers seat,air con,parking sensors,bluetooth etc.i love mine.economical too.i was going to go for the custom but i dont need a van that big TBH.you can also squeeze 3 people in the connect  for short journeys as its got 3 seats.(albeit the middle one is small)
price higher/work harder!

Slash

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 10:02:56 pm »
I've just got the new transit connect lwb 240 L2 , Limited version,decent size van with a payload of almost a ton,as your quite local Matt I can always show you.

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 10:17:06 pm »
I've just got the new transit connect lwb 240 L2 , Limited version,decent size van with a payload of almost a ton,as your quite local Matt I can always show you.

copycat! ;D great vans though arent they?

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 10:18:00 pm »
massive side loading door too!

Slash

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:29:50 pm »
Yes they are good vans massive  front dash too ;D

Rogue Trader

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 06:01:28 am »
Ok thanks both think I better look at a custom then.... room for a heater?

tlwcs

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 06:20:12 am »
Just to balance this my l2 eats front tyres, (64 plate this service it will need its forth set) p155 poor on fuel for short journeys and the middle seat is not useable for an adult.
Tony

the king

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 06:57:22 am »
vivaro lwb is good plenty of room good on fuel and mine has bin good as gold so far  the only let down was the gear box  as it went at 40k maby i was unlucky as my 2 friends have same van with 90k and the other over 120k with no gear box issue ::)roll parts are easy to get as well as its a uk built van unlike the expert

STEVE-UK

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 08:21:40 am »
Matt

I have tried a few vans over the years, IMO the best vans for our trade are -

1st choice - Renault Trafic, swb, 2900, 4 years warranty, Picked up our latest van up for £12700 plus VAT ,swb, 2900, 140ps, silver business plus, there doesn't seem to be any common faults and do not suffer from rust, split level load area, eliminates water entering the cab in the event of spillage

2nd choice - Transit custom, swb, 310, 3 years warranty, split level load area

tried the VW T5, nice vans, to many common faults, non split level load area,  still got my old T32  which I'm converting into a Kombi

I did consider the new Vito, decided against purely on the load area being the same level as the cab

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 08:35:20 am »
Just to balance this my l2 eats front tyres, (64 plate this service it will need its forth set) p155 poor on fuel for short journeys and the middle seat is not useable for an adult.
Tony

blimey!4 SETS OF FRONT TYRES IN 3 YEARS!how many miles you doing a year in it?

Rogue Trader

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 01:06:39 pm »
Thanks Steve,

I was hoping for something a bit smaller , though i realise that im pretty much limited to experts/connects etc , and actually the new expert is bigger and more transit looking anyway, never would have considered a Renault TBH either , always though Renaults would be cheap and nasty

tlwcs

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 01:18:15 pm »
Tony

5000 miles, 100 calls a week. First service the fronts were shot and replaced with continentals. Second service last September the conties were replaced with Michelin and looking at them it will be touch and go if they make an mot pass in September.
 These vans may have a decent payload but for our use, they will wear quickly.

STEVE-UK

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 02:41:30 pm »
Thanks Steve,

I was hoping for something a bit smaller , though i realise that im pretty much limited to experts/connects etc , and actually the new expert is bigger and more transit looking anyway, never would have considered a Renault TBH either , always though Renaults would be cheap and nasty

The new Expert looks pretty good, especially the MPG & payload specs, again, i only discarded the Expert as load area is the same level as the cab,

The Connect,Lwb, 240 is an option if you have a  up to 700l tanks

The new Trafics are not as solid as the Transit customs but take a similar payload, we did have a Custom for a while,  it was a good work van but sluggish for a 125, the MPG was far from advertised figures

is this van for your franchisee?

Rogue Trader

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 03:21:06 pm »
Its for me initially just to look more tradesman like when turning up for quotes rather than turning up in my car , also to do any excess work. Will probably pass it on to an employee/franchisee at some point but as i will be driving it i wasnt something a bit classy lol

Rogue Trader

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 03:21:37 pm »
*wanted*

STEVE-UK

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 06:12:59 pm »
Its for me initially just to look more tradesman like when turning up for quotes rather than turning up in my car , also to do any excess work. Will probably pass it on to an employee/franchisee at some point but as i will be driving it i wasnt something a bit classy lol

Snap

You mentioned employee,  Didn't you not manage to change all your employees to franchisees?

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 06:29:37 pm »
Tony

5000 miles, 100 calls a week. First service the fronts were shot and replaced with continentals. Second service last September the conties were replaced with Michelin and looking at them it will be touch and go if they make an mot pass in September.

someone also said the old connect front tyres wore out quickly but i never had any problems and id done over 8k on the same cheap tyres in 2 and a half years and they still looked like new.

CleanClear

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 06:55:14 pm »

You not considered the smaller Berlingo/ Bipper vans ? For one man they're awesome. Park anywhere, easy on fuel , road tax etc...
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

CleanClear

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2017, 06:56:53 pm »
Tony

Something is going badly wrong here. You have them inflated to the correct pressure ? You checked your axle weights when loaded  ?

tlwcs

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2017, 07:06:17 pm »
Tony

Something is going badly wrong here. You have them inflated to the correct pressure ? You checked your axle weights when loaded  ?
I think so, it drives true.
I'm sure I work it too hard. It had disks and pads at the second service. I have not checked the axle  weights though.
Mine is the 6 speed and the average mpg reads 30.8  My mate, a plumber who inspects boilers  has the 5 speed l2 and his returns over 45.
I had a Ducatto from new before and lt handled the weight far better but at times was an arse to park

p1w1

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 07:10:58 pm »
When i brought my connect 06 lwb i was told before hand they can go through tyres quicker then other vans. I believe its because the connect is basically a miniature transit chassis wise (so van chassis) as others like combo etc are car derived chassis, however i'm no expert so could be talking crap. Mine does go through tyres alot quicker then my old vauxhall combo did tho. I would say a set would last me 18 months at the moment plus carrying half a ton of water about doesn't help especially when the roads are hot in the summer time.

CleanClear

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 07:23:45 pm »
Tony

I think so, it drives true.
I'm sure I work it too hard. It had disks and pads at the second service. I have not checked the axle  weights though.
Mine is the 6 speed and the average mpg reads 30.8  My mate, a plumber who inspects boilers  has the 5 speed l2 and his returns over 45.
I had a Ducatto from new before and lt handled the weight far better but at times was an arse to park

I'm not trying to be awkward or funny, but there is a few things stick out here...... bad fuel consumption, heavy on discs and pads, and eating front tyres. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusion.. actually i won't. Go for an assesment with an ADI and see what he makes of your driving ? It could end up saving you a fortune. Or .. maybe i'm wrong and you're buying the best and most expensive tyres and some how your van and the weight is responsible for their short life? (and pads and fuel !!!  ;D  ) .

dazmond

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2017, 07:28:35 pm »
i always put brand new tyres on when i buy a second hand vehicle.ive not long put 4 new ones on my golf gti.i fully expect them to last 3 or 4 years doing around 7k a year.

the new van has continentals and i fully expect to never have to change them in 5 years doing 3-4k a year (just used for work.)

ive never had to change tyres any more frequent than 5 year periods!

Rogue Trader

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 07:40:04 pm »

Snap

You mentioned employee,  Didn't you not manage to change all your employees to franchisees?

No mate. Did the sums and decided against it. Kept all employees and have 1 franchisee. I'll take more franchisees certainly if decent candidate turns up tho!

tlwcs

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 07:45:06 pm »
Maybe your right Cleanclear however at 55 I'm no racer. Short journeys fully laden, engine not getting warm for the first 3 or 4 moves, must affect the consumption. Ford motor company have always been poor with mpg IMO. Many 3 point turns so I don't reverse off drives, may not help the tyres..
I like my van but when I change it, it will be to the next size up. Just sayin.

CleanClear

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 08:18:41 pm »
Maybe your right Cleanclear however at 55 I'm no racer. Short journeys fully laden, engine not getting warm for the first 3 or 4 moves, must affect the consumption. Ford motor company have always been poor with mpg IMO. Many 3 point turns so I don't reverse off drives, may not help the tyres..
I like my van but when I change it, it will be to the next size up. Just sayin.

No i take the point you make mate. And i'm not having a pop at you. But its probably things like racing away quick (most vans are FWD now) and late braking that will be hard on tyres, moreso with a heavy load. It would make no sense that a certain type of van is heavier on tyres than another..all things being equal of course.

STEVE-UK

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2017, 02:14:07 pm »

I can understand that, especially if you worked the figures out on the 20% franchise fee

Back to vans, if you don't have a budget, I would go for the new Vito, automatic, 116 or 119, i opted for the trafic as will probably keep hold of it for one of my new rounds

Snap

No mate. Did the sums and decided against it. Kept all employees and have 1 franchisee. I'll take more franchisees certainly if decent candidate turns up tho!

Stoots

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 03:02:27 pm »
i always put brand new tyres on when i buy a second hand vehicle.ive not long put 4 new ones on my golf gti.i fully expect them to last 3 or 4 years doing around 7k a year.

the new van has continentals and i fully expect to never have to change them in 5 years doing 3-4k a year (just used for work.)

I'm the opposite I always wait till they hit the wear marks than slap a couple of part worns on. But I've only ever had old cars and vans if I never had something that was my pride and joy I'd buy new.

STEVE-UK

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 03:07:01 pm »

Part worns seem to be half the price of new tyres with half the tread, just means you will be spending more time in the garage, false economy really

I'm the opposite I always wait till they hit the wear marks than slap a couple of part worns on. But I've only ever had old cars and vans if I never had something that was my pride and joy I'd buy new.