Og

Solar panel cleaners
« on: March 30, 2017, 02:18:27 pm »
Would it be best practice to perform an earth continuity test, before servicing pv modules?

Bungle

Re: Solar panel cleaners
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:48:09 pm »
Would it be best practice to perform an earth continuity test, before servicing pv modules?

Calling SS, or has he done one again?
We look at them, they look through them.

Og

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 10:18:11 pm »
Or phrased another way.
Is it unprofessional to clean solar panels without first completing a continuity test, to confirm the array is safe?

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 10:25:48 pm »

How would you go about that then?

jonboywalton75

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 06:56:09 am »
Ss will tell you
You need to pay him first though!!!!

Tosh

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 07:19:32 am »
Fit an RCD circuit breaker between your pole and the panel.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

jonboywalton75

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 07:27:41 am »
Much prefer your sarky posts than the useful ones, Slacky (or whatever your username is nowadays, Matt)

Og

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 07:45:38 am »

How would you go about that then?

Access the inverter and plug a meter in. I'm pretty sure we should be doing this. As these arrays age, the risks are higher and I'm not sure gloves and wellies are the best way to deal with a potential hazard.

Dave Willis

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 08:07:25 am »
Don't think that's a window cleaners job do you? Do you measure your domestic customers output. Where do you think the shock would come from, the panel surface or the wiring? Each panel would only produce a certain amount of power, you'd probably have to rearrange the wiring to get a shock from multiple panels and then cut through it.

Og

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 08:10:43 am »
Perhaps not a window cleaners job but a solar panel cleaners? I like to look at the read out on the inverter before and after, to see the increase.

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 08:14:48 am »
What's the difference between a window cleaner and a solar panel cleaner? The second one has bought a tee shirt and paid to go on a course provided by a self taught window cleaner. That's it.

Og

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 08:28:39 am »
The shock could come from anywhere. I've been asked not to clean certain arrays due to rats chewing through cables and other earthing issues. Also seen cracked panels and been told to stay clear by the engineer.
You can be a solar panel cleaner withour any affiliation to Steve.
Perhaps I shouldn't ask about earth tests on a window cleaning forum but as lots of guys here are regularly covering live modules and cables and connectors in water, I think it's pretty relevant. Also the newer panels have micro inverters fitted, has anyone considered that?

martin hulstone

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 02:08:29 pm »
Whats the difference between our water and rain water?
I dont see sparks flying off solar panels when its raining so i dont see a problem. Am i missing something?

Tosh

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 02:38:39 pm »
When its raining there’s no route to earth, when you’re stood there with a brush in your hand you’re the route to earth.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Jonny 87

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 05:18:57 pm »
A pair of wellies and a pair of rubber gloves is all you need.

Last time I got in trouble because that's the ONLY thing i wore.

Misread the memo. :(
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Og

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 05:46:38 pm »
I dont see sparks flying off solar panels when its raining so i dont see a problem. Am i missing something?

Perhaps the above illustrates why some sort of safety validation, should take place before window cleaners are let loose on pv.

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 06:23:47 pm »
ive had little electric shocks down my right arm when poling solar panels once.dunno what caused it.it was raining at the time as well and i had rubber gloves and rubber soled boots on. ???

i cleaned a  customers solar panels last week in the sunshine and no problems.nothing.

could it of just been static electricity?it was an uncomfortable feeling but obviously not life threatening! ;D
price higher/work harder!

martin hulstone

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 07:00:22 pm »

Perhaps the above illustrates why some sort of safety validation, should take place before window cleaners are let loose on pv.
meaning?

Spruce

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 07:06:54 pm »
Ask your customer to switch the solar panels off before you clean them.  ;D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Dave Willis

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 07:52:44 pm »
I clean them at night.