NWH

I asked for the socket to be put inside the van so I could run the cable in and under the door at night on the drive so no drilling through the van although it's the same internal setup,I've been quoted £1200 for the job which I thought was quiet expensive.

The Jester of Wibbly

Grippatank did mine for me when they fitted my tank. They may be able to quote you. Other than that. Speak with caravan companies maybe.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Tosh

Cant you fit one yourself?

I’ll do it for £900.00, 25% discount, can’t say fairer than that.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

robert mitchell

I asked for the socket to be put inside the van so I could run the cable in and under the door at night on the drive so no drilling through the van although it's the same internal setup,I've been quoted £1200 for the job which I thought was quiet expensive.

£1200   :o

Just run an extension from your outside socket to the charger .
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

Don Kee

I'm confused (its easily done) as to what you're trying to acheive here...?

Are you saying you want a 3pin socket in your van, or you want your charger to be permanently fixed in your van..?

If so....why....?

NWH

I want to be able to just open the back door plug it in and go indoors,I know I could just run a charger into the van but I have stuff stacked on top of my battery box which is a pain having to keep moving bits everytime I want to charge battery's,it seems a lot of money to me.

robert mitchell

Fix your charger to side wall of van , attach leads permanently to battery , lengthen the lead from battery charger so it's long enough to reach your socket .

Cool the lead up on a hook in back of van then you can just open door , pull lead out and plug in .

What on earth were they gonna do for £1200 !

Stoots

1200 quid forrr what lol

My charger is clamped to my battery terminals inside the van. It stays clamped on permanently. 

To charge it overnight I run an extension from the house to the van on my drive to the charger inside the van and there's enough gap under the rear doors to close them and lock it. Job done.

If you can't get the doors to close with the cable.  Drill a small hole in the van floor and cut the plug of extension.  drop the cable through the hole and pit the plug on the other side.  Simply pull the extension out on a night and plug it it.

Oh you don't want to drill a small 5mm hole in your van floor? Ok pay 1200 quid then lol

nathankaye

I run an extension socket to my van overnight for my tank heaters. I run it through side sliding door, it shuts tight with no problems and no squashing of the cable.

Just 30quid for large extension cable.  Wow ive saved myself how much   ;D ;D ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

NWH

I've been doing that connecting the battery up time after time no thanks I want to plug in and go indoors come out in the morning and do the same without having to go near the battery box

robert mitchell

I've been doing that connecting the battery up time after time no thanks I want to plug in and go indoors come out in the morning and do the same without having to go near the battery box

i just explained to you how to do that , its very easy!

AuRavelling79

My pump battery sits behind the bulkhead on the tank.

My 240v charger sits next to it.

My extension lead sits under the car port plugged in to one of the 240v sockets.

1. Reverse van up drive so that rear end is under car port and open side door.
2. Unreel extension and place next to charger in van.
3. Plug in charger to extension lead and shut side door on lead.

Or ... Pay £1,200 squids, then ...

1. Reverse van up drive so that rear end is under car port.
2. Unreel extension and place by back of van
3. Plug in extension to port on van.

It's a game of three halves!

Tony dunmall

Hi NWH

I guess it's your hot water heater draining the battery,
Two choices a second or third battery if you have two run in parallel  if space, I ran two 110amp they only ran low  if I was stationary on a few new new build sites for about 4 hours

Third best talk to Oliver at grippa, they do an option for what your asking as someone else stated, unless it was them that quoted that, they also run a on the driveway fitting service 

Even though for years I fitted systems an can, I got theming so do my vans as I feel they offer a good system

Also maybe consider there split charge relay at same time, mine work very well I must say

Tony

Smurf

Myself when I want to top up the two batteries in the back of the van I just run a extension reel to the van. Open the side door and plug in both chargers to the extension reel.  Then just shut the side door as  it don't squash the cable....  Job done.

If you want to go drilling holes in yer van you could fit one of these. https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/products/ceenorm-11304-16a-240v-2p-earth-3pin-ip44-blue-surface-socket?utm_medium=google_shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CNje6YSq9NECFWYq0wodC5ILRw

Then you will need to wire it up etc. Obviously you will also need the male for the extension cable. Oh and best you don't drive of leaving it plugged in  ;D

NWH

I was told the unit I need alone is £570

Tosh

Fix your charger to side wall of van , attach leads permanently to battery , lengthen the lead from battery charger so it's long enough to reach your socket .

Cool the lead up on a hook in back of van then you can just open door , pull lead out and plug in .

What on earth were they gonna do for £1200 !

That's what I used to do with the previous van setup.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

robert mitchell

I was told the unit I need alone is £570

unit ??  all you need is a battery charger , preferably a ctek intelligent one.

robert mitchell

Hang on ........just thought , is this thread a wind up? ;D

Dave Willis

£1200 is only half a days wages - buy it keep the tax down.

NWH

It's definitely under a weeks wages for me yeah if
You think me coming back with that is billy big balls so beit,I'm no fool though Dave I want to be the one doing the overcharging if you know what I mean.

Splash & dash

I've got a mains inlet socket on the side of the van that's used on boats stainless steel cost about £80 but it is a quality product and 100% waterproof

֍Winp®oClean֍

Why don't you just go and buy a new all singing Ionic hot PPB system? Job done instead of fanying about trying to knock some DIY effort up with peanuts?
Comfortably Numb!

NWH

Why don't you just go and buy a new all singing Ionic hot PPB system? Job done instead of fanying about trying to knock some DIY effort up with peanuts?
your right I think I will the thing is on here unless your only earning 6-700 a week or  you're finishing at 1-00 to pick kids up from school you get treated like a fool.

JandS

I run an extension lead from garage to van....just don't forget halfway through the night when you fancy a few tins and the wife's out in the car and there's none in the fridge.
Not that I have ever done that.... ;D
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Stoots

your right I think I will the thing is on here unless your only earning 6-700 a week or  you're finishing at 1-00 to pick kids up from school you get treated like a fool.

In all seriousness, if you are earning well in excess of 1200 a week then why not just go blow a few grand on a custom setup to whatever spec you want including the plug thing.

Extension leads are really just for the scum who only earn 600-700 a week

it all does the same thing in the end

NWH

Lol there not scum but they are certainly not qualified to offer me advise on anything window cleaning,it's only charging battery's I'm having trouble with. I was earning far more than 6-700 a week from this job 15-20 years ago.

Don Kee

Lol there not scum but they are certainly not qualified to offer me advise on anything window cleaning,it's only charging battery's I'm having trouble with. I was earning far more than 6-700 a week from this job 15-20 years ago.

With all due respect, no ones qualified to offer advice on how to earn a few quid but you're struggling to charge a battery up...?

I've read your posts in the past and I'm sure you do well (you've mentioned it once or twice) , but I'm really struggling to see whats so hard about leaving your charger connected to your battery and when you get home pulling out your extention lead and plugging it in and leaving it over night...
Run a split charger as well and you're laughing!

I mean, we're talking about charging a battery here; maybe all your brainpower is all consumed with earning a minter every week and so are not thinking straight...?

Unless you're on the wind up; fair play if you are...

NWH

I have a split charger Jesus H Christ I must come across as dim moaning about battery levels without at least having a split charger lol.

Elfyn

I fitted one of these to my van a few months ago http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172210869192?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
You will need nome cable, 13 amp socket and a circuit breaker too.

Fin Clearview

I have an external 240v caravan hook up on van to an (external type) double socket and double breaker mounted inside. Then feeds charger (mounted) to battery. All hard wired in coduit. The double socket means i can plug in oil rad and charge anything i want overnight such as spare battery pack for mobile phone or bluetooth earphones.

Pull up to house plug in caravan hook up - job done.

Cost was £375 done two weeks ago by local coach builders. 

Tosh

I must come across as dim

Yup. You're the one who can't work out how to run an extension to the back of your van and have your leisure battery permanently clipped up to your charger.

DaveG

I fitted one of these to my van a few months ago http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172210869192?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
You will need nome cable, 13 amp socket and a circuit breaker too.

Was it easy enough? Going to do this myself for plugging in immersion heater.

What van have you got?
You can't polish a turd

nathankaye

I can understand perhaps having a permanent power supply in garage or at the rear of your property as Fin Clearview as done. However cutting more holes into the body work of your van for the ease of connecting an extension cable is staggering. Extra work and extra expense for what?? Its no more harder than opening van door and pulling out an extension cable to the same power supply.

I know also, if i was to purchase another 2nd hand van and someone had these fitted i wouldnt be jumping for joy with excitement.....i would stay clear n wouldnt buy it
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smurf

I can understand perhaps having a permanent power supply in garage or at the rear of your property as Fin Clearview as done. However cutting more holes into the body work of your van for the ease of connecting an extension cable is staggering. Extra work and extra expense for what?? Its no more harder than opening van door and pulling out an extension cable to the same power supply.

I know also, if i was to purchase another 2nd hand van and someone had these fitted i wouldnt be jumping for joy with excitement.....i would stay clear n wouldnt buy it

Nathan It's not unusual to see  240 v ports fitted to vehicles so it's not a big deal really.  However to pay 1200 seems a wee bit over the  top to me.

Elfyn

I've run an extension lead through the back doors for years. I only fitted an external power connection because I'm, slowly, converting my van into a camper.

ObiwanK

Ctek charger and whatever bits you need from this lot to allow you to plug it in.

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/accessories/

CasaDeCabra

Ctek charger and whatever bits you need from this lot to allow you to plug it in.

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/accessories/

That's what I use.

Connected to the leisure battery sat behind the tank, cable run to behind the dash with this plug fitted to the dash. Then a simple job of connecting the charger to the plug and away you go.

Fin Clearview

Currently i have an extension lead running from a single external socket on the house while i wait for a sparks to run an armoured cable to garage with new socket. When the weather was below freezing a week or two ago i had an oil rad in the back of the van but the charger is fixed to the bulkhead in the cab. So i had an extension lead to charger in front running into another extension lead with rad in the back. Now the supply internally feeds to the charger and to the double socket should i need the rad.

It was peace of mind i was after rather than function. Now i just need the supply to garage sorted and I'm done. Ps. I'll post a pic as it looks superb and wouldnt detract any prospective buyer infact it could benefit say a builder as he could charge his power tools in there and lock van with ease.

Fin Clearview

Tosh

Have you got a link to those little storage cabinets on the side of the van there Fin please?