Perfect Windows

Just using this on the pole gives you all the grip and control you need

Dont your hands do that?

Yes, perfectly.  Nothing to see here, move along now...

Vin

H MAN

Dont your hands do that?

Yes you are correct.
But it is easier to do because of the way you are now holding it allows you to have a lighter grip.

H MAN

[/quote]

What's that made from?

Vin
[/quote]
This is heavy duty PVC electrical conduit.
But you can use other types on PVC conduit as well.

JSMC

i'm guessing you just heat it up and bend a section back?

H MAN

[/quote]

What's that made from?

Vin
[/quote]
What we used was heavy duty electrical conduit. :)
But you can use other types of PVC conduits if you want. ;)

Richard Stevenson

The simplest ideas are the best

Richard Stevenson

The simplest ideas are the best

Rich Wilts

Dont your hands do that?

Yes you are correct.
But it is easier to do because of the way you are now holding it allows you to have a lighter grip.

But you have to grip this bit of moulded plastic equally as firmly as you have to grip your pole. Otherwise it'll fall out of your hand.

Sorry mate, why don't you just say 'Look I've created an alternative method for holding your pole, it's no better than normal, but it's not quite the same. You know, change is as good as a rest. It feels different but isn't any better'.

Lend some credibility to your offerings.

H MAN

[/quote]

But you have to grip this bit of moulded plastic equally as firmly as you have to grip your pole. Otherwise it'll fall out of your hand.

Sorry mate, why don't you just say 'Look I've created an alternative method for holding your pole, it's no better than normal, but it's not quite the same. You know, change is as good as a rest. It feels different but isn't any better'.

[/quote]

So you have made one and tried it???

Fin Clearview

the way we grip our pole jokes aside I think this is something that needs developing further. If I'm wearing gloves i find i don't grip as hard as without. i guess it would be easier with a simple device like this..

H MAN

the way we grip our pole jokes aside I think this is something that needs developing further. If I'm wearing gloves i find i don't grip as hard as without. i guess it would be easier with a simple device like this..

They very easy to make and you will notice the difference. :)
Maybe make a video show how they are made??

Perfect Windows

Rather than just saying it won't make a difference, I tried it.  It does make a difference. 

Try this thought experiment before saying "you have to grasp it as firmly as your pole" without evidence.

Imagine holding a pole vertically.  You have to grip it to stop it slipping out of your hand.  Now imagine that it had a firmly fixed lug sticking out of the side.  In theory, you could balance it on top of your hand without even holding the pole and the pole wouldn't slip downwards.  The weight of the pole would be resting on your hand rather than in your grip.

Now, the way it works out in practice is that the lug sits between your fingers rather than on top of the hand but the reduction in grip needed is very significant indeed.

It's clear that you've already decided that it can't work but if you take that preconception away, you just might see that there could be some truth in it.

Vin

Rich Wilts

Rather than just saying it won't make a difference, I tried it.  It does make a difference. 

Try this thought experiment before saying "you have to grasp it as firmly as your pole" without evidence.

Imagine holding a pole vertically.  You have to grip it to stop it slipping out of your hand.  Now imagine that it had a firmly fixed lug sticking out of the side.  In theory, you could balance it on top of your hand without even holding the pole and the pole wouldn't slip downwards.  The weight of the pole would be resting on your hand rather than in your grip.

Now, the way it works out in practice is that the lug sits between your fingers rather than on top of the hand but the reduction in grip needed is very significant indeed.

It's clear that you've already decided that it can't work but if you take that preconception away, you just might see that there could be some truth in it.

Vin

I understand the point you're trying to make.

Fin Clearview

They very easy to make and you will notice the difference. :)
Maybe make a video show how they are made??

The problem as I see it is that you don't always hold the base pole in the same place as sometimes you are working in a narrow path without much room and so adjust accordingly.

H MAN

Yes your right .
There has to be a way so to be able to move it up or down the pole. :)

Perfect Windows

The problem as I see it is that you don't always hold the base pole in the same place as sometimes you are working in a narrow path without much room and so adjust accordingly.

I've come across that and there are two solutions.

One is (as currently) I live with it and just use the pole normally.

Second is to have three of these on the pole.  In the unlikely event that H Man ever tells us how he made the thing, I'll have three and just use the handiest one.  I'm getting bored of asking him so I'm looking online at clips and brackets that would slip onto the pole quite easily.

Vin

Dave Willis

Hacksaw two lines, heat it, bend the tab over cut off the surplus and sand the tab into shape with a handy grinding wheel. Might need to do it on spare a tube to try and keep the shape whilst it cools. Plastic tube needs to be the right diameter to fit the pole. Maybe rubber lined for grip , you could split it and zip tie it on I suppose but the ties might catch your hands.

Have a look at a windsurfing boom - that fits to a mast using a nifty clamp that works like a cam tensioner and is adjusted with varying the length of chord that passes through a cleat.

Perfect Windows

I've also considered that just a very thick tape wrapped around the pole would do the job, as it would drastically increase the friction of the pole.  I did use a cricket bat grip on an old pole, which helped.

We do already use heatshrink our poles, so they are less slippery than normal.  Unfortunately, grip heatshrink is hideously expensive.

Vin