Wheatie

Hello All!
« on: September 20, 2012, 01:50:51 pm »
Hello all, I'm leaving Army end of the year and going to start my own w.c business.
I'm already on the window cleaning forums, and everyone on there is pretty awesome!! So thought I would come find if there is anyone here in the Hampshire/Surrey area.

Kind regards

Wheatie

Johnny B

Re: Hello All!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 03:26:58 pm »
Hi wheatie,

35 views and no-one's said hello  ::)!

Welcome to Cleanitup!

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Wheatie

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 03:38:42 pm »
Hi John thanks very much!

Banbury Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 04:37:53 pm »
Hi Wheatie
Good luck in your new venture!!
Read as much as poss and there is some great info on here.

Rich
In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment."

Ian101

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 05:13:44 pm »
Hi mate welcome to the nuthouse ... U got a nice big payout ? Go see Pure Hydro as he is selling franchises !

Sorry just my sense of humour  ;D

Steve Sed

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 05:35:19 pm »
Very brave. They are eating their pets in Surrey as money is so tight.

Wheatie

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 06:22:19 pm »
Thanks all! Is work for a w.c bad in Surrey?

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:16:45 pm »
Thanks all! Is work for a w.c bad in Surrey?

Hello Wheatie - welcome.

I think its more difficult to start a business in this economic climate no matter where you are.

But with hard work there shouldn't be any reason why you can't make it. It's been said many times on here before - put in a good days graft canvassing, clean as you go and when finished, go canvass some more. be prepared to canvass and clean on a Saturday to start with, working people are more likely to be home and see you working.

First thing is to tell us where you are looking to start your round and try to get an idea what the guys are charging in your area, say for a 3 bedroom semi with/without conservatory with good access.

Make each door knock count. Work area's systematically. Be courteous, polite and get as much info as possible, even from those who have a window cleaner. You aren't there to steal another cleaner's business, but as you appear to leave, just ask what their window cleaner's name is. Some won't know, some will lie, but some will say it's John for example. When you get outside then write that down with the street name. house number and window cleaner's name. One day in the future you may hear that John has stopped window cleaning - now you have a whole list of houses to canvass.

Obviously, if you are canvassing an area and get no response, move to another, but always make it your goal to get back oneday. To start off with it maybe slow going, so try a few areas. Hopefully it won't be too long before you hit the magic jackpot - a whole area needing a window cleaner. Don't be afraid to speak to other window cleaners you see and introduce yourself. Once they see you aren't a threat to their business, they may even point you in the right direction.

Set yourself achievable goals, ie. how many new customers you need by a certain time. You need to know how many doors you knocked that day and how many new customers you gained. This is important sales info. In time you will find that your average works out at say 25 door knocks to one customer for example. This helps you in tougher days as you will look forward to the no's and unanswered doors as you will shortly get a yes - a new customer. If you achieve more don't take your proverbial foot off the gas. Winter is on its way and daylight hours are short.

When you get a new customer, make it you goal to knock a few doors each side and over the road. Tell them that you have started to clean for the Gibsons at number 10 and ask them, maybe again, if you can clean their windows for them.

If you see someone cleaning their own windows, stop and canvass them. Ask your new customers for referrals who live close by. Don't make small talk about the weather etc, talk window cleaning and nothing else. If you are cleaning a house and have already canvassed the neighbours and you see one of them in the garden - greet them, comment about the weather etc. If they get to know you, they may contact you, sometimes after many years.

It also never ceases to amase me how often friends discuss their window cleaners - do a bad job, and everyone knows, do a good job, be polite etc and everyone will also know that as well. Try not to have a fall out with anyone as you'd be surprised who knows who.

At the end of the year, your army career is history. It will be too easy to get swept back to those days by chatty homeowners who have nothing else to do, but they will waste hours of your valuable time if you let them.

Go well

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

stuart mc

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 08:18:22 pm »
hello wheaty welcome loads of ex forces on here, I left in 2007 and went straight into w/c

milk the resettlement for all its worth mate ;) and save up annual leave if you can to give yourself a head start building your round and still having a wage

Dave.

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 08:30:45 pm »
Hi Wheatie,
Welcome to Cleanitup - theres loads of infomation on here - use the search function too and look at some of the back posts

Good luck in your new venture,

Dave

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 06:14:39 am »
Watch out for Tosh - he's an  ex "pongo" too!  ;D

Welcome to Cleanitup - what Spruce posted is very very good advice - I just never had the fortitude to follow it properly but when I do try it - it works.
It's a game of three halves!

weetot

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 05:24:33 pm »
Welcome Wheatie.
Never take financial advice from people who have no money!

Llaaww

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 07:18:27 pm »

if it is dirty it is fair game