james fortune

ebay shurflow back pack
« on: November 23, 2005, 02:18:47 pm »
Following advice i read on here i ordered backpack off ebay it arrived today.
I now have two questions.
1) Manual states plug charger into 115 volt socket, will charger automaticly step down voltage for our 240 volts?.
2) Can i use a standard travle adapter for charger plug (it is a two prong plug)?.
ps if anyone has pics of how they converted backpack for wfp use i would be grateful for a copy. My email is ayrboyz@yahoo.com.

Thanks
Jim

DP

Re: ebay shurflow back pack
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 05:23:55 pm »
Not unless the charger says it will, I wouldn’t put it anywhere near 240v unless its in a 110v shaver socket, or you use a 110v transformer with a fly lead.
Everyone seems normal untill you get to know them!

craig jwc

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 11:05:47 pm »
I have the same backpack and i use a travel adaptor for my charger. It should tell you on the packaging for the adaptor what it will do. If you are not sure go to an electrical shop, they should be able to sort you out.
I will try and get some pictures of how you convert backpack to wfp

mattstanley

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 11:49:57 pm »
The charger that came with my Shurflo backpack from eBay says (on the charger plug itself) it accepts an AC input of 100-240V - which is fine for the UK.

I use a two pin US to 3 pin UK adaptor - again available from eBay for about a fiver.

All works fine for me, but if you have any doubts, get professional advice.

james fortune

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 12:44:36 am »
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Jim

squeaky-clean 1

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 11:35:20 am »
where on ebay did you find the backpack.
could you post the link please.

Kev
Belinda
the real boss.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 11:56:27 am »

james fortune

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 12:25:40 pm »
Hi kev
the above link is the correct 1.
It took 11 working days to arrive and is the latest SRS 600 model.
If you decide to order it works out at £165 including postage,import tax and travle adadpter, thats a saving of £50 on the cheapest quote i could get in this country.

jim

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 05:27:34 pm »
Jim,

That's a good price.  I paid £215 in total from Williamson Pumps, but I don't feel ripped off.  It's a cracking bit of kit.  Although it's an 'entry level' WFP pump/battery/container system; it does produce good results and it really can go anywhere.

The warranty is no good mind, since we're using it for a purpose other than what it was designed for; ie crop spraying.  So buying it from e-bay is no different than buying from a UK supplier (who will not honour a 'grey import').  If it goes 'pear shaped' you've no help from the supplier.  Rightly so too.  This is not a whine.

If I bought a car to transport concrete; then complained to the supplier that the car's suspension/clutch/engine etc wasn't functioning properly; they'd tell me to naff off.

I think a safer bet would've been to purchase Cleantech's back pack which is £250 plus vat, plus carraige.

Probably about £300; but then you've at least got a warranty.

But then if you can buy TWO Shurflo back packs from e-bay at nearly the same price as one Cleantech back pack, then maybe that's a better deal?

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 09:23:31 pm »
If you look on the site it does say for use as "window cleaning"

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 09:45:32 pm »

Cheers, Jeff,

I'll take a look, but I'm sure we recently had a rep here from Williamson Pumps and I asked the question about the warranty being valid if we cut the sprayer off and used it as a WFP 'power pack'.

I received no answer, so guessed that it wasn't.

I'll take another look and maybe e-mail them to clear that one up.

Cheers.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 09:52:15 pm »

Jeff,

Have you a link to the place where it says for use as 'window cleaning'?

I can only find this link and can't find the back pack there at all!

http://www.williamsonpumps.co.uk/

H h20

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 09:58:19 pm »
Tosh,it`s on this page,back a few posts,Andrew Mcann`s post,Gaz  ;)

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 10:09:53 pm »
Tosh,it`s on this page,back a few posts,Andrew Mcann`s post,Gaz  ;)

It took me a while, but I found Andrew's post:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-SHURflo-Rechargeable-Backpack-Sprayer-SRS-600_W0QQitemZ7565732711QQcategoryZ42926QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's an e-bay one.  Also, 'over the pond', some of them class window cleaning as 'power spraying' the window with a jet of water; not cutting the end off and attaching a WFP to it.

So I still doubt the warranty would be valid.

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 03:05:06 pm »
Erm.....I bought mine from Williamson Pumps specifically for window cleaning and it came with the lance already modified to fit directly into my pole connector.

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 06:43:08 pm »
Erm.....I bought mine from Williamson Pumps specifically for window cleaning and it came with the lance already modified to fit directly into my pole connector.

Mick,

(Sorry, it's taken me a while to drag my eyes away from your memorising signature. What is that vivacious young lady saying?  It looks like 'I think Geordies are sexy')

Anyway, what you say is interesting, mate.  I think I'll give them a call to clarify that.

It would be great if it remained under warranty, but it just doesn't seem right.  Mine gets such a hammering, I'd be surprised (and impressed) if I get six months out of it. 

I'll give them a phone call the next time I take some time off work and dig through my huge pile of paperwork to find their phone number.

Mick (UHPS)

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 07:38:26 pm »
Hi Tosh

I dealt with Martin Burrows really helpfull and like I said previously he knew exactly what I was going to use it for and they did the lance modification as part of the sale.

Save you digging ;) ;D

Williamson Pumps Limited
Unit 17 Waterloo Court
Waterloo Road
Stalybridge
Cheshire
SK15 2AU
United Kingdom.

NEW UK local rate numbers: Tel: (+44) 0845 226 3638    Fax: (+44) 0845 226 3639

Like you say though, the hammering they get :o ::) ::) I have been using mine for about 3 months now without any problems.

BTW what do you reckon to this one

Just walking down my path nowwwwwwwwwww.
Wow that hurt .......my Mrs just looked over me shoulder. ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2005, 08:18:54 pm »
Cheers Mick,

I've wrote the number down and will phone them and clarify the warranty position for WFP use.

I would be suprised if the warranty covered our type of use though.  It's not exactly strapped on our backs as we walk around a grape vine spraying nasty bugs; is it?